PDA

View Full Version : using a flat bed to tow a kitfox model 4

Slyfox
07-27-2018, 08:53 AM
I know, I know. trailering has been kicked around here. but here goes. Can a kitfox be loaded on a trailer and towed a long distance. opinions on trailers. So far the enclosed trailers are out. Want to know plus and minus of open trailers, single or tandem wheels. faced forward, faced backwards.

Ramos
07-27-2018, 10:03 AM
I can't be of much help other than to suggest the lightest suspension you can find. Most trailers that are physically big enough are sprung for much more weight and will ride like a rock.

avidflyer
07-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Most times planes are towed tail first. Make sure you support the tail on something besides the tailwheel. The cross tube just in front of the tail wheel is a good place to support it. Tie the flaperons together in addition to the wing lock back tubes. Support the front wing spars so they aren't bouncing up and down in the breeze. No fuel in the wing tanks either. As was mentioned, a lighter suspention would be better. JImChuk

ken nougaret
07-27-2018, 02:51 PM
I agree with both previous comments. Would add that i would make the wings level so there is less down force on them when trailering backwords. When i modified a boat trailer i put the light leaf springs (1200 or 1500) pound. I would say thats still not light enough of a suspension. I get a shake around 40-45mph. I think its from not enough weight. Granted, my trailer is quite heavy duty, formerly a 24' aluminum boat trailer. Single axle is all you need. Just be sure of your wings supports for and aft. See the sticky trailering a kf7.