PDA

View Full Version : Transferring Kitfox 4 ownership

Hockeystud87
07-13-2018, 08:19 AM
I just inherited a Kitfox 4 from my grandfather and I am trying to figure out how to get it transferred over in my name. I just can't find the title. I can find the registration with the FAA and the state its in just not a bonafied title.

Questions:

Do home built experimental aircraft have titles?

If not what is used to show ownership or transfer ownership?

How do other people transfer these aircraft when they are sold?

DesertFox4
07-13-2018, 08:51 AM
A Bill of Sale would likely help. Do a search here using “Bill of Sale” to learn more about transfering ownership and registering.

Also, Kitfox Aircraft has a letter available on their website that folks have used in the past when the paper trail all the way back to the original owner can not be verified.

jrevens
07-13-2018, 10:22 AM
Experimental aircraft don’t have Titles. The FAA has a required Bill of Sale form and the registration has to be transfered to the name of the new owner. I’m not sure how that works in the case of an inheritance, where the owner is deceased.

Hockeystud87
07-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Ok no title is a really good thing to know.

I have all registration for the state and the FAA so perhaps if I can find a BOS from Kitfox from 92 and get that sent I can have grandma sign something and get it transferred.

Excited to get this thing flying and meet up with some fellow fox flyers!

mr bill
07-13-2018, 07:01 PM
You only need a signed bill of sale from the current registered owner or heir.

PapuaPilot
07-18-2018, 07:01 PM
If you are a member of AOPA I would contact them and get their advice.

jonstark
07-22-2018, 08:19 AM
I just inherited a Kitfox 4 from my grandfather and I am trying to figure out how to get it transferred over in my name. I just can't find the title. I can find the registration with the FAA and the state its in just not a bonafied title.

Questions:

Do home built experimental aircraft have titles?

If not what is used to show ownership or transfer ownership?

How do other people transfer these aircraft when they are sold?

You’ll need two forms.

FAA 8050-2 is the bill of sale. You’ll need to consult the aircraft registration branch in Oklahoma City for instructions because the owner is deceased.

FAA 8050-1 is application for registration.

Jon

avidflyer
07-22-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm going through kind of the same thing. I talked to FAA registrations in Ok. and they said to provide the death certificate and will of the registered owner. In my case, it was willed to the wife, and I bought the plane from her. I had her sign the 8050-2 bill of sale form, filled the rest of it out, and sent those things in along with a completed 8050-1 request for change of registration. What they want to see is a chain of ownership. Here is a number you can call to talk to some one at the FAA registrations. 405-954-3116 JImChuk

Hockeystud87
07-26-2018, 10:39 AM
I'm going through kind of the same thing. I talked to FAA registrations in Ok. and they said to provide the death certificate and will of the registered owner. In my case, it was willed to the wife, and I bought the plane from her. I had her sign the 8050-2 bill of sale form, filled the rest of it out, and sent those things in along with a completed 8050-1 request for change of registration. What they want to see is a chain of ownership. Here is a number you can call to talk to some one at the FAA registrations. 405-954-3116 JImChuk

So will I need to provide a portion of the will or trust then and have it sent?

Currently I have:

Signed BOS with grandmas ink on it
A death certificate (Original)
Registration forms

Hockeystud87
07-26-2018, 12:22 PM
So I spoke with the FAA this is what they said are required for registration transfer.

Bill of Sale signed by owner
Registration form
Heir at Law form
$5