PDA

View Full Version : My flying at Stick and Rudder

David47
07-09-2018, 06:49 PM
I’ve just finished day 3 of 4 days at Stick and Rudder at Greenleaf Air Ranch in Idaho. I’ve been flying with Paul Leaderbrand in order to get some experience in a SS7 before I start the test flying of my build, which I hope will be some time later this year. The concentrated flying with someone who I think is a Jedi in Kitfox flight training and in back country flying has been worth every second and dollar spent so far. He knows the aircraft like the back of his hand and has given me fantastic insight into the handling characteristics of what is really, quite a high performing airplane for this class of airplane. I came to Paul with around 30 hours of tailwheel experience, but he’s given me more insight into the “why’s” of tailwheel flying than I was aware of. We spent couple days in the back country of Idaho flying into some great places, some with interesting and challenging circuit procedures. Places like Sulphur Creek, Johnston’s Creek and Big Creek were really fun to fly in to. I’ve been really impressed with the capabilities of the airplane and even after 3 days, I’m feeling way better equipped to throttle up on day one of my own project, even though I’ve had the odd “brain fade” on couple of landings. Bottom line for me, as a SS7 builder, this training is the best insurance I can have for my project. Totally recommend S&R for KF specific training to anyone either without a t/w endorsement of even limited t/w time on other types.

DesertFox4
07-09-2018, 08:17 PM
Good for you David for making this wise decision. I wish auto, home, life and health insurance was as much fun to purchase as Stick & Rudder training insurance is. Great endorsement. Enjoy your remaining flight time with Paul. Paul and his operation are top shelf. Pretty nice aircraft too. ;)

Just a thought. Even with all the training with Paul, you will be amazed the first time you fly your Kitfox solo. Everything happens even faster if you can imagine especially in regards to take off performance. Be ready.
These are high performance aircraft I quite agree.

Clark in AZ
07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
Great report, thanks for posting. Looks like a blast!

Clark

aviator79
07-10-2018, 08:06 AM
Definitely money well spent, and what a showroom the Idaho backcountry is for the Kitfox!

Flybyjim
07-10-2018, 06:48 PM
Thanks, this keeps the excitement of building high.

David47
07-10-2018, 08:22 PM
Just a thought. Even with all the training with Paul, you will be amazed the first time you fly your Kitfox solo. Everything happens even faster if you can imagine especially in regards to take off performance. Be ready.
These are high performance aircraft I quite agree.

Steve, I can just imagine how this airplane will perform with one on board. We had smallish headwinds today but the takeoff and climb performance was outstanding. When I do my first flight, I know that I won’t be afraid of it - slightly nervous, undoubtedly - but I’ll respect it’s capability. That’s why I did the training.

David47
07-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Definitely money well spent, and what a showroom the Idaho backcountry is for the Kitfox!

The Idaho backcountry is magnificent for flying. Learning how to “shop” a remote airstrip and then fly the pattern and land is a fantastic feeling.

efwd
07-11-2018, 05:49 AM
I was surprised at all the new aspects of piloting that are involved with flying to back country airstrips. Certainly recommend the training if you are ever taking your airplane to these types of places. Paul is really laid back so the learning is enjoyable.

Tomfox
03-27-2019, 01:51 PM
I couldn't agree more with the accolades for Paul's (and all of S & R) instruction. There are probably more ways to fly a Kitfox than one can imagine, but he puts forward a fine set of principles, and he also adjusts his training technique to the attitude and personality of the pilot - making the whole experience exceptional. Wouldn't it have been nice if your first instructor had been like Paul!

Tom Livermore
SS7

N213RV
03-27-2019, 08:02 PM
I flew with Paul 2 years ago next month and fully agree with everything you stated. Worth every penny spent!!!

efwd
03-28-2019, 06:15 AM
My Currency ride done last week was worth the money just to sit and discuss first flight of my plane with Paul. He is a wealth of information. Acting on his recommendations now. Aiming to fly Sunday Morning! Possible that wind may squash the plan though.

fastfred
03-28-2019, 07:12 AM
Not to mention it was a great fun Flycation !