PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Kit

Esser
06-27-2018, 10:52 AM
I have to move my plane 30km to the airport. I’m really only planning on trailering once. Can I make an ad hoc trailering kit myself?

Would a model iv trailering kit work on a 7?

jiott
06-27-2018, 11:39 AM
I would certainly think you could Josh. I would just use an old quilt and some baling wire to pad the wings against the tail and hold them in tight. The front wing supports could be made from electrical conduit with ends flattened and drilled for appropriate bolts. Drain fuel for lightest weight. Go slow over any potholes or bad bumps.

avidflyer
06-27-2018, 01:40 PM
Don't support the back end on just the tailwheel if youhave the wings on. Make a support for the back of the fuselage. JImChuk

fastfred
06-27-2018, 03:13 PM
I used conduit to make mine but I did not have to go far so I did not build a support for the tail. It would not be difficult to frame up a box with some angles to bolt to.

I could send some photos if you want Or I suppose I could ship them for you to borrow.

Esser
06-28-2018, 10:57 AM
Thanks the offer Fred, I can probably make my own. There is a guy near me that has a kit for his iv so I’m wondering if I can borrow his.

korc
06-28-2018, 01:09 PM
I used conduit to make mine but I did not have to go far so I did not build a support for the tail. It would not be difficult to frame up a box with some angles to bolt to.

I could send some photos if you want Or I suppose I could ship them for you to borrow.

I am going to be hauling my new purchase for 5 hours as well ! some pics would be nice. Thanks

Said

fastfred
06-28-2018, 01:29 PM
[I will try to remember to get them for you. I was just over there too.

korc
06-28-2018, 02:25 PM
[I will try to remember to get them for you. I was just over there too.

Thank you,

Esser
06-28-2018, 03:53 PM
This has lots of pics.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=8911

fastfred
07-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Here is what I made. The conduit works great the grey parts are aluminum and I will need to remake them. I used large pool noodles with a string through them to protect the tail.

Paul Z
07-02-2018, 06:55 AM
I have a trailering kit from from a SS7 I’d be willing to part with. I’m out of town right now, I should be back in town at the end of August. That is the soonest I would be able to ship them to you. I’d part with the for $50 plus shipping. I just used shipping blankets from UHaul for the tail cover. Send me a private message if you are interested.