PDA

View Full Version : rebuild ignitions

schotja
06-18-2018, 12:41 PM
I saw someone post recently that the older 912 GREEN ignitions could be sent out to be rebuilt for roughly $300. I think they were refering to a company in Europe. The rebuild had "soft start capabilities" Has anyone done this and do you have a contact?
Thx

Jared

Av8r3400
06-18-2018, 04:55 PM
This was the source I found. I did not use their services so I have no knowledge of what they can or cannot do.

Link (http://www.carmousa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=671_2711_4731)

P Morel
07-31-2018, 09:34 AM
I recently purchased an early model rotax 912 with the old hot box ignition system for my Kitfox. I wanted to change the ignition system over to the small black modules but after researching, I found it very expensive.

I researched http://www.sdsefi.com/cpi.htm and bought their system. They are located in Canada and only at a fraction of the cost.

http://www.sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

avidflyer
07-31-2018, 11:14 AM
Hi Paul, do you have the CPI ignition system on both sets of plugs or just one? What are your thoughts on this system. How much have you used it? JImChuk

WWhunter
08-01-2018, 05:51 AM
I have the same questions as Jim. I have been dealing with ignition issues on my 912 since the beginning of time and ready to try something different that doesn't break the bank.

P Morel
08-01-2018, 07:13 AM
I finished the install about a month ago and have about 15 hours on it now. I have it for both sets of plugs on all four cylinders on my 912. There are 2 heavy duty coil pack modules that I have mounted with brackets I fabricated just forward of the coolant fill tank. The kit comes complete with plenty of plug wire if you you wanted to mount the modules on the firewall. For less than $1200, I think this is a great deal.

One thing I wasn't too crazy about was the display module. I think it's a little outdated and I had a tough time locating a place on my panel to install it. I have a full panel and even thought of mounting it in my glove compartment. I ended up mounting it on a hinge and it drops down into my glare shield. Once the installation is complete and timing is set, I lock in all the parameter timing settings. I only use the screen during run up.

If you look at the picture for the Rotax, you'll see there isn't much to it.

I did have to call the company once, since the bell housing on my early model Rotax 912 is a little different than the later engines. They weren't aware of the difference and I made a simple fabricated bracket to mount the Hall sensor.

WWhunter
08-01-2018, 07:22 AM
Thank you Paul! Since I have an older model engine also (1996?) I may run into the same issue with the mounting bracket. Definitely a better price than replacing the parts from Rotax. I think it is the harness on my engine, but it has been a constant fight to keep things working and I need to either replace it or buy the SDS.

I did notice on the SDS site that it looks lo only cover one set (4) plugs, I understand you have replaced both sets? The total cost was only $1200 total for the complete system for both sets of plugs? I need to seriously look into it some more.

P Morel
08-01-2018, 07:22 AM
I failed to mention, I REALLY like it and it's a much cleaner and organized mounting system than what we are used to seeing on most Kitfox's. I'll post some pictures of my setup.

If you're having ignition issues, I think you should look into this system.

avidflyer
08-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Thanks for the reply Paul. I emailed them a few weeks ago, and they quoted me $850 for one side. Did you get a discount for going with both sides, or did the prices go up? Some pictures would be nice as well. Thanks, JImChuk

P Morel
08-01-2018, 07:51 AM
I have an older model engine also (1996?)

1996 housing isn't the older housing. I think my engine is around 1991 or 1992 era. You won't need to make any mounting adjustments with their basic set up.

Also, the picture on their website for the Rotax only shows one Grey module. You'll need two modules for all 8 spark plugs.

Call Barry or Ross at CPI (403) 671-4015 for a price quote. I'm sure you'll be happy with their prices.

cap01
08-01-2018, 08:30 AM
do you have to buy 2 each $1200 systems or can all 8 plugs run off one system?

P Morel
08-01-2018, 10:34 AM
I bought the system in Oct 2017 and just got around to install about 2 months ago. The complete system was $1154.00 for 2 modules (covers 8 plugs) 1 digital display, all wiring, plugs, Hall sensor. Complete.

avidflyer
08-01-2018, 11:15 AM
My understanding is that you need to have a battery to run this system. Is that correct? What are your thoughts on that? That is kind of what made me think about just replacing 1/2 of the ignitions with this system. JImChuk