PDA

View Full Version : Best remote magnetometer mounting location

MKIIRob
06-17-2018, 02:59 AM
Pretty difficult to get away from ferrous materials in a Kitfox frame save mounting in the wing.

Has anyone been successful mounting in the fuselage anywhere? Any photos or good descriptions of good proven working installation locations?

Dorsal
06-17-2018, 05:16 AM
Mine is in the left wing tip, are you avoiding the wing for some reason?

David47
06-17-2018, 02:04 PM

Ditto. Mines positioned second bay in from the tip.

DesertFox4
06-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Same as David’s but in the right wing.

MKIIRob
06-17-2018, 03:33 PM

Its a retro-fit to a flying vfr aircraft with no nav lights, and non-removable wing tips, so was hoping to avoid wing mounting if nothing else pure lazieness and pragmatism for simple solution.

I wouldn't shy away from pulling some wires through the wing and cutting an access panel, however after all it is a day vfr aircraft with 2 GPS + iPad and likely 1-2 smart phones on board, it is a requirement and important to have a reasonably accurate compass on board. I just can't think where I would be relying on a compass in this particular aircraft rather than looking out the window if the satellites all fall from the sky ;)

Does anyone have any experience with non wing mounting locations in any rag and tube aircraft?

Manual says 24inches distance away from metal that can't happen in a Kitfox fuselage has anyone tried it anyway?

PaulSS
06-17-2018, 04:33 PM
Who manufactures the magnetometer you're intending to use? The reason I say this is because my research has shown that Dynon's unit seems quite resistant to stray magnetic wigglies, while Garmin and MGL are more sensitive. A friend of mine has his Dynon magnetometer behind the baggage bay of his Eurofox, which would be similar to the Kitfox. He also degaussed the aircraft before fitting it (remember to remove other compasses etc before doing this).

I will be installing the MGL SP6 in my Eurfox and, thus far, have come to the conclusion that the only location is in the wingtip. Unfortunately the Eurofox does not have removable fairings but the agent in the UK has recently cut an access panel in the wingtip, installed the magnetometer (in this case the Garmin unit) and refitted the cutout using rivnuts.

The hole and panel is really quite small compared to how it looks in the photos below and is a very neat job :)

colospace
06-17-2018, 08:06 PM
Not flying yet, but I have mounted my Dynon ADHRS (which contains the magnetometer) just aft of the baggage sack as I had seen on a factory build. Scanning the fuselage with a compass had also appeared to show this area as magnetically quiet and Debra McB had sent a photo or two to me as well.

jiott
06-17-2018, 08:56 PM
I also mounted my Dynon ADHRS behind the baggage sack as recommended by the factory. Been working fine for 600 hours now. The top two photos are my installation; the bottom two are a factory SLSA installation.

jiott
06-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Everything on that mounting bar should be aluminum or brass, including screws, etc.

Gawilkie
06-18-2018, 06:58 PM
I put the Dynon magnetometer just outboard of the right fuel tank . The dynon install manual specs the magnetometer to be within six feet of centerline of the fuse. I understand that a lot of other locations are working well just sayin.

aviator79
06-20-2018, 06:12 PM
The 6 ft requirement applies to the ADAHRS. The remote magnetometer is not subject to this same constraint.

runwayrex
05-29-2019, 10:41 AM
Rick et all,
I am planning to mount my adahrs in the location shown in the pictures.
I will put my remote magnetometer in the wing tip.
On the factory installation, they had simple brackets (no longer available)
I can’t make out what you did from the pictures. Do you have better pics available?
Runwayrex

jiott
05-29-2019, 11:03 AM
On my installation, I cut the ends of the square aluminum tubing so a tab could be bent down at 90 degrees, and drilled two holes in it so it could be bolted to two adel clamps. I leveled things up before drilling; with one hole slightly oversize it gave some final adjustment before clamping it up.

jiott
05-29-2019, 11:04 AM
My ADHRS included the magnetometer; no problems in this location.

runwayrex
05-30-2019, 04:49 AM
On my installation, I cut the ends of the square aluminum tubing so a tab could be bent down at 90 degrees, and drilled two holes in it so it could be bolted to two adel clamps...

Hi Jim,
Do you have a picture or two of how you did this?
Thanks much!
Rex in Michigan

jiott
05-30-2019, 11:34 AM
Rex, I don't have any close-up photos, but I made a crude sketch of what I did.

AirFox
05-30-2019, 08:20 PM

Here are some pictures of what Jim is talking about. 3 of us in the NW have had luck with this setup.

tracstarr
06-02-2019, 06:19 PM
@airfox, that last image you have a bunch of connectors into a plate of some sort. Is that used to extend connections? Like a hub kind of idea?

AirFox
06-03-2019, 01:54 AM
The hub is for the Dynon SV Network for the AHRS, SERVOS, ETC.

runwayrex
10-26-2019, 07:02 AM
I'm mounting my Dynon magnetometer in my wingtip. Do I need to be concerned about electrical interference from the nav and strobe lights there? Does anybody have pictures or diagrams of how they mounted their magnetometer out there?

efwd
10-26-2019, 10:22 AM
If its anything like my Garmin magnetometer, Yes. Mine would not calibrate ( it was barely failing ) when I had all electrical on. If I turned any one item, say nav light, it would pass. Otherwise it was failing with everything on. Although mine remains located at the same location, I significantly modified the wire loop routing. If I were to relocate mine, I would put it inside the last bay on the wing instead of like mine, on the final rib sticking out under the wing tip cap. I thought it easier to reroute the wire but I would still prefer it inside that bay.