PDA

View Full Version : Coolant and Oil

Esser
06-11-2018, 07:34 PM
What is everyone using for coolant and oil? I know the Evans stuff is no longer recommended. The rotax-owner.com says any silicate free. Any comments?

I can start the engine for the first time as soon as I have fluids in her!

Av8r3400
06-11-2018, 07:48 PM
I use orange Dex-Cool per the rotax recommendation.

I also like a synthetic oil, not a semi-synthetic, so I have used and still use Mobil-1 Racing 4T, 10W40. I run 92 octane, uncontaminated autogas or swift.

Dave S
06-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Started with Evans originally when Rotax indicated it was better than sliced bread - went to the Orange Dex Cool when I changed out the old brass radiator for the aluminum radiator - both CHT and oil temps ran significantly cooler after the switch - don't know how much of that was due to the coolant and how much due to the radiator. It's going to be easier to find dexcool on a trip if needed compared to evans,

I started out using Mobil-1 Racing 4T, 10W40 (full synthetic) however, changed to Sport 4 (Semi Synthetic) because I don't always have access to lead free fuel on trips.

kmach
06-12-2018, 10:08 AM
Dex-Cool and Aeroshell Sport Plus 4

jrevens
06-12-2018, 10:29 AM
Dex-Cool and Aeroshell Sport Plus 4

Me too. (The site said my message was too short - now it’s not).

Dave S
06-12-2018, 11:15 AM
OK, I am busted!.....When I said sport 4 in the earlier post, I meant Aeroshell Sport Plus 4. :o

jiott
06-12-2018, 02:01 PM
I also use Dexcool and the Sport Plus 4. It is the perfect combo for mostly 92 clear mogas with occasional 100LL on trips.
My personal opinion is that fully synthetic oil is a waste of money when you change it every 50 hours. The synthetics were mainly developed for extended change intervals and higher operating temps, none of which exist on the Rotax 912 aircraft engine.

Esser
06-12-2018, 03:29 PM
Me too. (The site said my message was too short - now it’s not).

This made me laugh!

Thanks everyone for their input. I’ll see if I can get the Aeroshelk Sport 4 at the local FBO

Guy Buchanan
06-13-2018, 06:30 AM
Dexcool and Honda HP4.

Slyfox
06-13-2018, 01:07 PM
I feel like a rebel. I just put in Amzoil motorcycle full synthetic. yes I change it every 50 hrs. I also use the orange stuff for coolent have forever. I was using aeroshell like everybody else. I noticed something this time. generally I put in like 2.5 quarts for fill. If the fill isn't just right it will come out the vent. well with the amzoil I by mistake overfilled the tank with 3 quarts. I thought oh bother, lets see if it comes out the vent, hasn't done that this time. anyway I also just go to the station and put in 10% alki as well. it's had a steady diet of this stuff for years and many hours. no ill effect only thing I notice is mo money for fuel. haha

one more thing. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this. I use a wix 51056. can't get myself to spend the money on a rotax filter. done that for many many years and thousands of hours. I don't burp the engine before start, just turn it over about 18 compression strokes. never a problem from that also. oh one more thing. when I change the oil I never crack the oil lines. I remove the filter, fill the new one and install. suck out the old oil in the tank and clean (helps me to see if there is anything in the tank, aka pieces and parts. :eek:
I than put things together and crank the engine with mags off until there is pressure than hit the mags and start. oil change is a non event. I than put a piece of tape on my stick somewhere with date and hours for next oil change. put it in the book and go fly.

jiott
06-13-2018, 01:49 PM
Yes Steve you are a rebel alright, but whatever floats your boat. But how do you accurately check oil level in the tank during preflight if you don't burp the engine? I suppose you will say preflight is for old ladies.

Slyfox
06-13-2018, 02:01 PM
I always check the oil after flight. kind of backwards, but it works.

with that being said, I've never had to add any oil in a rotax. now my lyc in the rv. that's another story

Esser
06-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Next question, with the aluminum rad and a heater core, how much coolant will it take? 2 jugs enough?

jiott
06-13-2018, 02:14 PM
One gallon jug is plenty of the premixed.

Still curious Steve, after a flight I still find I need to burp to get an oil fill reading.

Slyfox
06-13-2018, 02:18 PM
mine has always shown full.

jiott
06-13-2018, 02:20 PM
One further question Steve, with your Model IV high mounted oil tank what keeps all the oil from draining back to the sump the moment you shut off the engine?

Slyfox
06-13-2018, 02:34 PM
I knew you were going to ask that. I have an oil thermostat that I got from lockwood years ago. I mounted it on top of my gear box. believe it. it keeps the oil in the tank. unless I don't fly for a couple weeks it stay up at the lower line pretty much all the time. have checked oil before flight which I still do a lot. not an old woman am I. :)

jiott
06-13-2018, 02:47 PM
OK, interesting. Now we have "the rest of the story". Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

Slyfox
06-13-2018, 02:53 PM
the rest of the story being, my oil level doesn't go down very much between flights, hay wait I fly a bunch. :rolleyes:

jiott
06-13-2018, 03:05 PM
I fly a bunch too and I used to put in about 1 cup between 50 hr oil changes. Then I had 15 minutes of overheating when I lost my old copper radiator; ever since then I never add any oil between changes. Guess I finally had a good engine break-in.

phintz
06-13-2018, 08:21 PM
OK, I am busted!.....When I said sport 4 in the earlier post, I meant Aeroshell Sport Plus 4. :o

I'm using the same!!

phintz
06-13-2018, 08:23 PM
This made me laugh!

Thanks everyone for their input. I’ll see if I can get the Aeroshelk Sport 4 at the local FBO

3 quart of aeroshell and a tempest filter is $57 from aircraft spruce. Just changed oil tonight! 207.9 hrs

Dorsal
06-18-2018, 08:08 AM
I also use Dex and Sport+ 4, I buy it by the case from Kitfox.
As to checking oil level I pull it though a few times and check the level, if it is close to the bottom of the acceptable range I know I am good. I do a full "burp" once in a while to confirm (usually near the top of the range). I got this advise from Ken Lockwood.