PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox STI Wings for Avid Flyer

lv2plyguitar
05-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Do any of you know if the Kitfox STI wings will fit an Avid Flyer Mark IV? I know the strut will need modification.

Thanks

av8rps
05-21-2018, 07:44 PM
The Avid Flyer STOL Wing is already an excellent STOL wing, doing most everything the STI wing does for the newer Kitfox. If you could fit an STI wing onto an Avid Flyer, which probably could be done with some fabrication, I doubt you would gain anything over the Avid STOL wing.

Trent Palmer did an ecxellent youtube video recently describing differences between a Kitfox STI and a Highlander. That would be a great video for you to watch as the Highlander wing is nothing more than an Avid STOL wing.

avidflyer
05-21-2018, 08:07 PM
I know the Kitfox 4 and earlier models use the same 27 1/2" spacing on the spars like the Avids use. Don't think the later Kitfoxes are different. If you wanted longer wingspan, I wonder if those Avid Catalina wings are still available. Guy had them for sale for $4000 a few months ago. Actually, now that I think about it, there is a complete Catalina on barnstormers for $3000. JImChuk

Bluebird19kf
05-21-2018, 08:16 PM
Mark at Avid is a great guy to deal with too, just saying

lv2plyguitar
05-22-2018, 03:14 PM
I know the Kitfox 4 and earlier models use the same 27 1/2" spacing on the spars like the Avids use. Don't think the later Kitfoxes are different. If you wanted longer wingspan, I wonder if those Avid Catalina wings are still available. Guy had them for sale for $4000 a few months ago. Actually, now that I think about it, there is a complete Catalina on barnstormers for $3000. JImChuk

The Catalina wings are longer than the AVID C STOL wings?

avidflyer
05-22-2018, 04:06 PM
I'm sure they are longer. I believe wingspan on a Cat is 33'. Avid HH is 29' 10 1/2" Look at my post on the Avid site. I had a link to a set of Avid Catalina wings there. 7 flaperon hangar brackets on Cat, 5 on HH wing. 2 jury struts on Cat, 1 on HH. JImChuk

btjenkins85
05-23-2018, 07:20 AM
I had the Catalina wings for sale a while back (they came with my kitfox when I bought it). Each wing is just over 16' long and cambered similar to the avid STOL wing.