PDA

View Full Version : 7' or 8' height for trailer?

Hockeystud87
05-18-2018, 08:29 PM
Is 7' on a enclosed trailer for a model 4 kitfox enough for should I get the 8' extension? I might plan on doing some bigger tires but nothing too crazy in size. Will this still give me plenty of room?

Av8r3400
05-19-2018, 04:35 AM
Sitting in the 3-point stance your propeller will most likely be the highest point.

My model IV, with the tall Grove main gear spring and much modified rudder, when sitting in the 3-point attitude, the top of the rudder is still below the windshield. This is sitting on 26" Airstreaks and a very tall Grove tail spring with an 8" tailwheel. Of course a 3-blade prop will make things taller than my 2-blade prop. This will be your limiting factor.

All this being said, I think that my plane could fit under a 7' ceiling.

HOWEVER! A trailer, like a shed or a garage is never big enough! I'd take the 8' option for nothing other than having some more storage room if its ever needed.

Esser
05-19-2018, 02:42 PM
I have a Model 7 on a Tundra light tailwheel, 5" taller gear, and 8.50s and my highest point is my three bladed prop with one blade straight how and that is 74". 7' should be fine.

rv9ralph
05-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Keep in mind that when you fold the wings you will need to take the load off of the tailwheel spring. Also, with the wings folded, if you have fuel in the wing tanks and they are not level, fuel will leak out of the filler caps. Bringing the folded wings level will raise the tail, this height must be considered in the height of the trailer, better to go higher in the beginning than trying to add height later.

Ralph