PDA

View Full Version : freedom of control movement, or lack thereof

SkyChargerOne
05-14-2018, 02:54 PM
I finally had the opportunity to fly in a Kitfox 5 and loved every minute of it! I did have one question following the experience though. My father and I recently completed an RV-4 and the control movement in that design is almost perfectly free. Everything moves like it’s on ball bearings. On this particular Kitfox however, I had to purposefully place the controls where I wanted them to go. On the ground, the stick was notably heavy, and the rudders had a distinct weight to them, almost as if there was a friction control in the works. In flight it seemed like I had to really lean on the pedals to get a response. They were far from being “free floating” and seemed quite unnaturally heavy.

So is this a normal condition due to how the control linkage is engineered in the Kitfox, or perhaps the relative weight of the flaperons to standard ailerons?

kmach
05-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Something doesn't sound right.

It should be light fingertip pressure on the stick and toe pressure on the rudder pedals.

The faster you are going the less inputs required.

airlina
05-14-2018, 03:59 PM
Doesn't sound right to me either, on my Series 5 its fingertip control on the stick and I always wear light footwear so I don't overcontrol on the rudder. Just the weight of my foot resting on a pedal will get the incilinometer a 1/4-1/2 ball out of center. Bruce N199CL