PDA

View Full Version : Mod. IV horizontal tail V support

beeryboats
05-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Hi guys, I discovered one of the "V" struts that support the horizontal stabilizer has a rusty thread on the top forward end. I had hoped the fitting had a male thread and be able to just change the rod end, but per the manual it is part of the strut. So I called Kitfox to buy a new one and found they are discontinued. They came out with a four piece kit. Has anyone got any info on this kit, there is no photo in their catalog. Makes one wonder if there was an issue, or did they find a less expensive way of doing it? If there was no issue with the old style I would be interested in a pair of good used struts.
Thx
jay

Av8r3400
05-09-2018, 06:46 PM
I made my own V-struts for the mangy. No adjustable threaded fittings.

HighWing
05-09-2018, 08:17 PM
My take on the design was to allow for the vertical adjustment of the leading edge as designed. The rod end was the length adjustment for the affected strut. As I recall, the factory welded a socket head cap screw into the end of the tube to provide the threads. A better solution is to use threaded weld studs - not as brittle. Available at ACS. A local welder could do the repair.

beeryboats
05-10-2018, 05:12 PM
My take on the design was to allow for the vertical adjustment of the leading edge as designed. The rod end was the length adjustment for the affected strut. As I recall, the factory welded a socket head cap screw into the end of the tube to provide the threads. A better solution is to use threaded weld studs - not as brittle. Available at ACS. A local welder could do the repair.

Just cut off and weld on a new one? Not a bad idea except for the powder coat. That stuff is not easy to get off. We have a very aggressive sand blaster at work and it didn't do anything but dull the finish. I found a wire wheel a better option, but even that took a lot of time. I often wonder why they didn't go with the round rods in the diamond shape like on a Piper Cub.
jay

jiott
05-10-2018, 09:43 PM
There is a Permatex gasket remover that takes off powder coat quite easily. Maybe someone remembers what exactly it is?

Esser
05-13-2018, 05:50 AM
Permatex Gasket Remover is exactly what its called. Comes in a blue aerosol can.

beeryboats
05-13-2018, 05:58 PM
I took a real good look at the struts today. It does not look like a bolt welded to the end of the strut to me. It's just too clean and smooth. I'm leaning toward new struts, but I wish someone would share some photos. I just want to make sure they will retro fit to my old Mod IV.