PDA

View Full Version : repair the Warp Drive or switch to ??

atosrider
05-07-2018, 08:07 AM
the model IV I purchased has a prop in need of repairs, Warp Drive quoted $390 US .. it's a 3 blade ground adjustable .. 80hp 912 .. would you go ahead with the repairs, or use that $ towards something superior?

then there is the option of in flight adjustable - money can be an 'object' even without a partner to complain about the cost of toys! but the payback for the extra investment, comments please!

jiott
05-07-2018, 10:14 AM
From comments I have heard and my own experience, I would recommend the 3-blade Whirlwind as a superior GA prop. Its definitely more expensive but is of the latest low noise, smooth and efficient design (plus it looks way cooler). IFA and CS props are of course another step up if you have the bucks.

avidflyer
05-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Do you just need one replacement blade? I was just on their site this morning, and see the prices went up. (if my memory is right) I just picked up 2 66" RH blades from someone today. They are unused, but probably to short for your needs. JImChuk

efwd
05-07-2018, 01:58 PM
If I had $300 and thought this would be enough to entice me to spend it towards a CS.... no brainer. :)

Av8r3400
05-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Right now the ground adjustable to beat is the Luga prop.

rv9ralph
05-07-2018, 09:34 PM
What is the age of your 80hp 912. Early 912 engines have a different prop flange than newer models. When Rotax introduced the 100hp ULS they changed the flange on all 912 engines. Most prop hubs are now for the newer bolt pattern. Warp and GSC still make hubs for the older engines. Whirlwind along with many others do not make hubs that fit the older bolt pattern.

Ralph

atosrider
05-07-2018, 09:49 PM
great comments so far ........ it's the early version prop flange, didn't realize rotax had changed them ... guess that's going to make the decision easier ..

atosrider
05-07-2018, 09:55 PM
my hub and good blade is 70 inch, thanks for letting me know some were available

Norm
05-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Consider the IVO IFA. Don (KitFox2009 from Vernon) has one in his Model V on an 80hp 912. I have one on my Model IV round nose with an 80hp 912. I am happy with mine and I am sure Don is happy with his. It is a great way to get the 100hp performance without going to a new motor and you may be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. Good performance at a reasonable price. Not the latest and greatest but a very good performer on a bit of a budget.

atosrider
05-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Norm, what diameter and how many blades are you running .. and did you have something else beforehand with some comparison numbers?

kmach
05-09-2018, 10:08 AM
I will soon have a medium 3 blade IFA available for sale.

I am awaiting arrival of an airmaster cs with whirlwind blades.

I also have a 2 blade ground adjustable Sensenich EZ-pitch 70" with nickel leading edges for the 912.

Private message me for more info.

Norm
05-09-2018, 04:20 PM
Norm, what diameter and how many blades are you running .. and did you have something else beforehand with some comparison numbers?

I am running a three blade IVO with IFA and cruise about 105mph fast cruise. Before I put the IFA into service I was running it with ground adjustable and cruise was about 90 to 95mph on the 80hp 912. I had run a two blade warp drive on another plane with a 582 and found the Warp to be a big heavy club that shook far too much. I know some people have used the three blade and it is much smoother. Kevin just replied that he may have a IVO medium with IFA so that may be a great option for you. He is in SK so easy shipping.

Keep in mind the early 912 had the same bolt pattern as the 503 and 582 gearbox but later 912s changed the bolt pattern. Make sure what you get is what you need.
Norm

atosrider
05-10-2018, 08:45 PM
this 80hp has a 4 inch prop bolt circle, unless they call it 3 15/16 or 99mm

regards

avidflyer
05-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Rotax bolt patterns are 75 MM, 100 MM, and it seems that latest size on new 912s is 101.6 MM. JImChuk

Wheels
05-10-2018, 09:18 PM
I had a ding on my Warpdrive 3 blade and sent it to the factory for repair. They said it was the oldest prop they had ever seen and that after refurb, it would last forever. I like "last forever". so its on my plane. it has 750 hours on it and its about 19 years old.

z987k
05-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Anyone been able to contact these people? I thought I wanted one, but I don't think I'm going to risk literally no support or service.
I emailed the Lugaprop guy, he replied twice and then stopped responding. So I tried the guy in Canada, same thing, no response.

Geowitz
05-16-2018, 08:15 AM
I got a Luga prop earlier this year. I love it. I usually got a response within a few days of each e-mail back and forth. He has switched to a new name - NR Prop for which there is a separate e-mail, but I believe he still monitors the Lugaprop one. I Western Unioned the money and he sent me tracking info when it was shipped about two weeks later. All in all it took about 6 weeks to get it. Cheap price too.

You have to keep the emails direct and simple. I believe he uses google translate or something so he may not understand what you are sending or got flustered with the translation.

Esser
05-16-2018, 01:21 PM
Anyone been able to contact these people?..

If the guy in Canada is Jason, he is REALLY good about getting back to me about anything ASAP. I wonder if it went to junk. Jason said the worst part about Luga is communicating.

z987k
05-17-2018, 03:48 AM
If you're talking about Jason that does the big bore kits and such, ya he's great. I meant the Kool prop guy.(rebranded Luga)

Esser
05-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Jason with the big bore kits is also a Luga dealee. Maybe just give him a call

Flyboy66
05-22-2018, 08:17 AM
The Luga prop has a great price, but info is lacking. I have written the manufacturer a few times and usually heard back in 2 to 4 days. I think the person I was communicating was using an online translator because sometimes the responses were not in line with my questions. There isn’t any documentation that I can find on the props ( TBO, repairs.....). I am waiting to see what TPalmer has to say after 6 months or so. Is anyone else running a Luga? If so, how many hours? Durability? Is it repairable?

I saw something in the web site about 600 hours. Is that before inspection, or is that when it goes in the trash can? What type of documentation came with the prop?

z987k
05-22-2018, 09:50 AM
Same issue here. I've decided to wait or go another direction. I don't like the idea of no support and an airplane down for 6 months if I had an issue.

john2
07-29-2018, 11:57 PM
Don't have hard data but I'm pretty sure Steve Henry is still running the Luga on his Yamaha powered Highlander. It is three blade and he was very positive about the prop.
Another prop I am considering for my Just Superstol is a Duc Helices Flash 3 blade. Can't find a lot of info but they seem to have excellent all around performance, good or very good pulling on take-off and about 10 mph higher on cruise than some other competitor props for the Superstol (it needs all the help it can get on cruise lol)
Good thread over on the Wings Forum on the Duc. Keith Showwalter out of Anchorage is running one on his Just Superstol and speaks highly of it. Link is http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=24080

Take Care,
John Cooley

Av8r3400
08-01-2018, 07:53 PM
Hal Stockman of Zipper Engine Kits is sort of a dealer for the Luga props if there is such a thing. He had gotten several from Europe for people. He is a big fan of them.