PDA

View Full Version : Frame color

dactel
04-30-2018, 11:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie here on TeamKitfox. I have just ordered a S7SS kit recently and I have noticed that the default color for the frame is white. But I'm wondering if it would be better to ask them to do it in different color if available from practical stand point in flight, i.e. the color reflecting off the windshield and becoming a distraction for example... What color would you recommend? I was thinking black.

Thanks in advance.

-Terry

efwd
04-30-2018, 11:49 AM
I chose flat black powder coat. warning, its like a chalk board. if you rub something on it, like the fiberglass seat pan or the fiberglass over the instrument panel, it leave scuff marks. they come off but I think I will be tending to scuff marks for eternity. I flew Stick and Rudders airplane that has gloss black frame and it certainly didn't bother me, in fact, it was nice to use those two structures as points of reference to the horizon while in a turn. I suppose you should decide if black is going to match your overall color scheme.
People do seem to comment on the flat black and that they like it.
Eddie

dactel
04-30-2018, 11:59 AM
I chose flat black powder coat. warning, its like a chalk board. if you rub something on it, like the fiberglass seat pan or the fiberglass over the instrument panel, it leave scuff marks. they come off but I think I will be tending to scuff marks for eternity. I flew Stick and Rudders airplane that has gloss black frame and it certainly didn't bother me, in fact, it was nice to use those two structures as points of reference to the horizon while in a turn. I suppose you should decide if black is going to match your overall color scheme.
People do seem to comment on the flat black and that they like it.
Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't even thought about flat vs gloss. As far as matching with the eventual exterior paint scheme goes, I've figured so far black would go ok with most colors. I think I am going to send and email to John and Debbie about it too.

efwd
04-30-2018, 12:16 PM
If I recall correctly, John will say he likes the flat black as well. He had a glossy black in the factory when I ordered and when he shipped my kit he thought he really liked the flat black as well.
Eddie

efwd
04-30-2018, 12:29 PM
I must recall correctly. Just looked at the Kyle Franklin video and note that the speedster frame is flat black. :)

Esser
04-30-2018, 12:56 PM
My plane is black. I severely wish my frame was black.

jmodguy
04-30-2018, 06:06 PM
Mine is powder coated white. I flew with DF4 in Arizona and his tubes were white also. It was remarkable how much the white reflects back onto the windscreen.
I will be painting my interior tubes with Rat Rod black epoxy from Eastwood.

dactel
04-30-2018, 07:10 PM
I'm really glad I posted this question here. My suspicion about white frame color seems to have been validated somewhat. I just sent John McBean an email asking him about having mine powder coated in black...

DesertFox4
04-30-2018, 07:21 PM
I’ve seen guys paint just the cockpit tubing black even though the rest of the airframe was white. That’s not that hard to do as long as you think of it before covering, instrument panel and of course the windshield goes in.

PapuaPilot
04-30-2018, 09:11 PM
One good reason for white is that it is the best color for inspecting the frame for cracks or corrosion.

dactel
04-30-2018, 09:13 PM
I’ve seen guys paint just the cockpit tubing black even though the rest of the airframe was white. That’s not that hard to do as long as you think of it before covering, instrument panel and of course the windshield goes in.

That's a great idea.

dactel
04-30-2018, 09:15 PM
One good reason for white is that it is the best color for inspecting the frame for cracks or corrosion.

I'm guessing that's because it would be easier to see the area with discoloration...?

PapuaPilot
04-30-2018, 09:18 PM
That's correct. Black and dark colors make it very difficult to see problems.

dactel
04-30-2018, 09:25 PM
That's correct. Black and dark colors make it very difficult to see problems.

This is a great point. Perhaps what DesertFox4's said about painting only the cockpit tubings black might be a good compromise...

jmodguy
05-01-2018, 06:10 AM
From what I understand - if you are worried about cracks in the tubing you should not powdercoat. Powdercoat is somewhat flexible and can hide cracks. If you are worried about cracks, use white paint.
A lot of the airframe tubing will be covered by fabric and not visible anyway, i.e. tubes that are wrapped to secure the fabric.

Hoenshell
05-01-2018, 09:06 AM

I have found a Kitfox IV project that is already covered and the tubing is painted red. How hard would it be to paint the cockpit tubing black? It has been covered, but no panel, no windshield yet.

jmodguy
05-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Mask off anything you don’t want painted, scuff with maroon scotchbright, clean up the dust and squirt paint on it!

PapuaPilot
05-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Mask off anything you don’t want painted, scuff with maroon scotchbright, clean up the dust and squirt paint on it!

That is what I did. My frame came with the color of Forest Green and I painted it white, but just in the cabin area. I painted it before covering though, which was a lot easier than what you will need to do.

JoeRuscito
09-11-2018, 11:28 AM
Im contemplating this same decision. Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences with a grey frame? Im thinking it might be a compromise between less windshield reflections but not too dark to hide rust/cracks.

dactel
09-11-2018, 12:00 PM
I’ve ordered mine with gloss black powder coating. I decided against flat black thinking that it might be harder to keep scuff marks and such off. Yes glossy finish will probably reflect the sun light more but it’s a compromise... My kit is going to be ready for pickup in October so I’ll see it when it gets here.

airlina
09-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Im contemplating this same decision. Does anyone have any thoughts/experiences with a grey frame? Im thinking it might be a compromise between less windshield reflections but not too dark to hide rust/cracks.

Hi Joe , the tubing framework on my Series 5 is a light grey powdercoat and I have never had any issues with glare or reflections . Bruce N199CL

JoeRuscito
09-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Hey Terry and Bruce thanks for the reply. Bruce is yours flat grey or glossy?

airlina
09-11-2018, 05:44 PM
Joe its a glossy grey, Bruce

aviator79
09-12-2018, 05:13 AM
I have a white frame with cockpit tubes painted black. It was easy enough to do. I didn't actually plan it this way, bit realized too late that I didn't specify the frame color. As it turns out, I think I will have the best of both worlds. I will say that white tubes in front of the windshield will definitely relflect strongly on the windshield, especially at certain sun angles.

tracstarr
09-12-2018, 05:42 AM
When I bought mine (from previous builder) the frame was a dark gloss grey. It wasn't done very well either. (not from factory). I had it re done in a glossy white even though I'm doing a black exterior. Number one reason is a builder of 21 planes said you will indeed spot issues much faster (rust coming though etc). Especially in the areas covered and hard to reach for inspections (think into the back of the fuselage. I'm going to paint the cockpit areas black to match my color scheme, but they are all areas where up close inspection are easy to do.

My 2 cents. No refunds.