PDA

View Full Version : Changing Airworthiness Certificate

SMangini
04-24-2018, 06:22 PM
If a Kitfox series 5-7 is for sale and has been certificated as "Light Sport" with a weight limit of 1320lbs. Can it be recertified by a new owner under factory weight limit of 1550lbs? I am a newbie of course and needing to be informed as much as possible in order to pull the trigger when the right plane comes up for sale. My thought process for needing all 1550lbs. is as follows: Dry weight of plane 850lbs. + 280 (me) + 150 (passenger) + 100 (Baggage) + 20 (Coolant/Oil) + 100 (~4hrs fuel) = 1500lbs. The above weight scenario would be a typical cross country trip with the wife. Thanks in advance! Your knowledge and advise is much appreciated.

avidflyer
04-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Yes, you have to notify the FAA of the change, do phase 1 flight testing to verify the safety of the changes. You can't go the other way though. JImChuk

aviator79
04-25-2018, 08:48 AM
If you dig around on the forums here, you'll find a few discussions on this. JImChuk has summed it up pretty concisely, but I'll expand just a little bit.

If the airplane is certified as amateur-built, you can increase the gross weight. The advantage is obvious: you'll be able to come in under gross when loaded as you describe. The disadvantage is that the airplane will never again be a Light Sport Aircraft, even if you change the max gross weight back to 1320. The result is that Sport Pilots and other pilots that are flying under the light sport rules would not be able to fly it (legally, anyhow). Some suspect that this may reduce the resale value because you reduce the potential buyer pool. In the current market, I doubt it matters what the gross weight is, but I thought I'd point out the resale as something for you to consider.

fastfred
04-25-2018, 10:21 AM
Someone told me that the Faa might Increase the LSA weight to 1550. Anyone else heard that?

Danzer1
04-25-2018, 02:39 PM
Steve there is confusion here - please clarify - you wrote "certificated as "Light Sport" - is it currently an S-LSA, E-LSA or E-AB? Makes a big difference on what you can do.

Also a "Sport Pilot" may legaly fly any aircraft that meets LSA requirements regardless of the certification class (even Std. class aircraft) - it has nothing to with the aircraft certification class, just the aircraft meeting the requirements (when flown).

Greg

dcsfoto
04-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Note: when you do a Phase one flight testing and make an aircraft record entry going to 1550 there is no going back.

if the aircraft is certified as SLSA or ELSA no 1550,

David Kelm
FAA DAR-T,F

7SS 912iS

aviator79
04-25-2018, 03:56 PM
Also a "Sport Pilot" may legaly fly any aircraft that meets LSA requirements regardless of the certification class (even Std. class aircraft) - it has nothing to with the aircraft certification class, just the aircraft meeting the requirements (when flown).

Greg

It's true that it has nothing to do with the certification class, but it must have met the LSA requirements continuously since original certification. If it has ever been modified outside of the LSA requirements, it will never again meet the definition of an LSA, even if you switch it back to its original configuration.

Danzer1
04-25-2018, 04:54 PM
It's true that it has nothing to do with the certification class, but it must have met the LSA requirements continuously since original certification. If has ever been modified outside of the LSA requirements, it will never again meet the definition of an LSA, even if you switch it back to its original configuration.

Yes but the question was - can the weight be changed, not who can fly it. To clarify:

As David stated - if S-LSA or E-LSA it can't be changed to 1550. If it is E-AB already or recertificated as E-AB and just wanting to change the weight - different story. It can possibly be done but can't go back to LSA (either S-LSA or E-LSA) and even if re-grossed to back down to 1320 later as an E-AB, it could not be flown by a sport pilot.

SMangini
04-25-2018, 08:51 PM
Let me see if I got this straight. If the Kitfox 5-7 was originally certificated/registered as S-LSA or E-LSA with a MGTOW of 1320lbs., then it can never be re-registered as E-AB, go through phase 1 testing and certified at 1550? However, if it was originally certificated/registered as E-AB and phase one tested at 1320, then it may be phase one tested again to meet factory certified 1550 MGTOW but now it can never be reversed. Please forgive me if I am causing confusion by using the words certified and registered incorrectly.

aviator79
04-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Let me see if I got this straight. If the Kitfox 5-7 was originally certificated/registered as S-LSA or E-LSA with a MGTOW of 1320lbs., then it can never be re-registered as E-AB, go through phase 1 testing and certified at 1550? However, if it was originally certificated/registered as E-AB and phase one tested at 1320, then it may be phase one tested again to meet factory certified 1550 MGTOW but now it can never be reversed. Please forgive me if I am causing confusion by using the words certified and registered incorrectly.

You've got it. If you want to get technical, you would be allowed to reduce the weight back to 1320, but there is no reason you'd want to because it wouldn't make it an LSA again.

Danzer1
04-26-2018, 06:07 AM

Generally correct, however an E-AB could be reversed back to 1320 but it would serve no purpose as it would not be sport pilot eligible anymore after having been previously modified out of the LSA definition.

Greg

fastfred
04-26-2018, 06:26 AM
So if My KF is registered at 1550 I can legally fly it with a light sport license if I keep the actual the weight below 1320? Better double check that I think under a prior owner an incident caused it to be changed to 1550 . I would have to pull the documents from my history. It seems like a gray area

aviator79
04-26-2018, 06:54 AM
So if My KF is registered at 1550 I can legally fly it with a light sport license if I keep the actual the weight below 1320? Better double check that I think under a prior owner an incident caused it to be changed to 1550 . I would have to pull the documents from my history. It seems like a gray area

No. The LSA definition is based on the max takeoff weight, not the currently loaded weight. If the MTOW of your airplane has ever been above 1550, it cannot be flown legally under sport pilot privileges and limitations. And I'm afraid there really is no gray area. The LSA definition is spelled out pretty clearly in 14 CFR 1.1.

efwd
04-26-2018, 09:00 AM
I think you meant "if its ever had a MTOW greater than 1320#" it will not be eligible for a Light Sport Pilot to fly.

aviator79
04-26-2018, 09:08 AM
I think you meant "if its ever had a MTOW greater than 1320#" it will not be eligible for a Light Sport Pilot to fly.

Right you are Eddie. I hope my typo didn't make a confusing subject worse.

Clark in AZ
04-26-2018, 09:27 AM
LOL! Yeah, it tripped me up for a few minutes...

Clark :)

fastfred
04-26-2018, 11:41 AM
Have you heard any thing that they are trying to raise the 1320 weight?
Lucky I can still pass medical so I am ok.

aviator79
04-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Have you heard any thing that they are trying to raise the 1320 weight?
Lucky I can still pass medical so I am ok.

I've seen some wishful thinking but I have not seen any indication that the FAA is considering a change. If you can have a medical certificate issued after 2006, consider flying under BasicMed. Not quite as easy as the light sport rules, but you don't need to get prodded by an AME anymore. If you think there is any chance you'll be denied a medical, then make the switch. You'll become ineligible for BasicMed if you are denied a medical certificate.

dcsfoto
04-26-2018, 07:25 PM
unless the FAA in DC changes policy you can go up , but never go down.

If you could show the aircraft was unsafe at 1550 they might accept that.

with that in mind, our inside joke is "Please see your independently owned
and operated FAA Office"

David Kelm

fastfred
04-27-2018, 06:38 AM
Did I understand that if you do the basic med you need to have the AME every 4 years or does the basic med process keep going for ever.]

aviator79
04-27-2018, 06:56 AM
On basic Med, you need to see an AME one time (Any time after 2006) and then you can fly under BasicMed forever. That means taking an online course every two years, and having you personal doc fill out the exam checklist every four. No medical information needs to be transmitted yo the feds ever again.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/january/12/aopa-details-basicmed-rule

fastfred
04-27-2018, 07:27 AM
Thanks
I just pasted mine so maybe next time I will give it a try.