PDA

View Full Version : How much poly fiber product is needed?

Maverick
04-17-2018, 02:31 PM
I have been trying to find a list of how much polyfiber product I need, i.e. how many gallons of Polybrush, polyspray, polytak, etc. I have been unable to find a thread that mentions this.

aviator79
04-17-2018, 05:10 PM
There is a table in the back of the Poly Fiber manual. It's free online, and it lists the Kitfox in there. You should download and read it anyhow. The kit comes with enough to get you started, but you'll need a lot more.

Esser
04-17-2018, 06:08 PM
If you haven't bought anything yet, I would look at Oratex. I wish that it was more available when I started my build...

Maverick
04-17-2018, 06:23 PM
What advantage is there to Oratex? I've used poly-fiber for both of my previous builds. I'm more familiar with it plus, I do already have polyfiber fabric.

I have a hard copy of the Stitts manual but, I'll look up the one online to see what it says about the Kitfox.

Thanks to you both.

Esser
04-17-2018, 06:26 PM
No painting and about half the weight. Once your fabric is shrunk, you are done. All you have to do is add the pre-glued tapes

aviator79
04-17-2018, 06:30 PM
What advantage is there to Oratex? I've used poly-fiber for both of my previous builds. I'm more familiar with it plus, I do already have polyfiber fabric.

I have a hard copy of the Stitts manual but, I'll look up the one online to see what it says about the Kitfox.

Thanks to you both.

Oratex looks like a lot less labor, and some guys on the forum seem to be having good luck with it. I'm doing Poly Fiber, and don't necessarily regret the decision, as there certainly are tradeoffs between the two that are discussed in other threads and all over the internet. I'm kind of on the fence about whether I'd do Oratex if I started over. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a twinge of envy when I think about how covering without spraying coat after coat of stinky MEK based products.

ken nougaret
04-17-2018, 07:13 PM
I think this pic contains all that i used. It was taken several years ago.

maxpayne
04-18-2018, 07:08 PM
I think this pic contains all that i used. It was taken several years ago.

Holy cow that looks like a lot of weight:eek:

Esser
04-18-2018, 07:14 PM
I would say only 10% maybe 20% is solids. The rest flashes off. So that’s not all weight

aviator79
04-18-2018, 07:26 PM
I would say only 10% maybe 20% is solids. The rest flashes off. So that’s not all weight

Which is maybe more depressing given what you pay for those solvents. :eek:

avidflyer
04-18-2018, 07:45 PM
I've been using lacquer thinner for the last couple of cover jobs I've done, and it works just fine. Still use the MEK to thin the poly tack though. Don't use the blue painter's masking tape for masking for trim paint, the glue will transfer to the paint from the tape and it will be a real pain to get it off. Guess how I know that. Use the green 3M masking tape and don't leave it on any longer than you need to. JImChuk