PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B (in) and Transponder Antennae

aviator79
04-12-2018, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know where the factory is putting these on the SLSAs? The fuselage frame has a couple antenna plates on the belly, but they appear to be closer than the recommended distance for ADS-B to Transponder. There are pretty obvious locations for the COM antenna on the top of the fueselage and the ELT inside. I was just curious if the factory had specific mount points for ADS-B and transponder.

Esser
04-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Transponder I think is being out right behind the header tank. Not sure about ads-b

N213RV
04-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Mike is not SLSA, it’s experimental. I have the Dynon Skyview system and I mounted my transponder antenna and ADSB antennas on the plates on the bottom of the fuse. I have no issues after 60 hours. I flew the 1 hour test in a class B veil and the FAA report came back with no errors.

aviator79
04-12-2018, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the PIREP Mike. I was considering that, but had read that the antennae should be 5' apart.

fastfred
04-16-2018, 05:24 AM
does the dynon have the ads-b out built into it?

N213RV
04-16-2018, 05:46 AM
does the dynon have the ads-b out built into it?

You need to have the Dynon transponder and the Dynon ADSB module. Both are remote units and the functionality is integrated into the SkyView display.

aviator79
04-16-2018, 06:17 AM
You need to have the Dynon transponder and the Dynon ADSB module. Both are remote units and the functionality is integrated into the SkyView display.

To clarify, the most recent Dynon transponders are Mode-S with ADS-B out. So the "out" functionality is integrated with the transponder. To get ADS-B IN, you need an additional receiver that needs its own antenna.

fastfred
04-16-2018, 08:12 AM
Can you list every thing we need to order to build this set up?

jiott
04-16-2018, 10:01 AM
For Dynon ADS-B out:
-Dynon Mode S transponder
-Dynon SV-2020 GPS antenna puck

For Dynon ADS-B in:
-SV-ADSB-472 module
-A separate dedicated antenna (Dynon sells one; it is nearly identical to a transponder antenna)

All integrates with the Dynon Skyview panel.

aviator79
04-16-2018, 10:02 AM
A Skyview display, two transponder antennae, coax and connectors, plus the following:

Disclaimer: You should call and discuss with Dynon. They'll ensure you get exactly what you need.

http://www.dynonavionics.com/mode-s-transponders.php

http://www.dynonavionics.com/adsb-dual-band-receiver-472.php

http://dynonstore.com/#!/SV-HARNESS-XPNDR-Harness-for-SV-XPNDR-261-262-Transponder/p/52526519/category=19307715

http://dynonstore.com/#!/SV-HARNESS-ADSB-Harness-for-SV-ADSB-470-ADS-B-Receiver/p/52526521/category=19307715

fastfred
04-16-2018, 11:43 AM
So about$7000

aviator79
04-16-2018, 03:13 PM
So about$7000

For a complete Dynon Skyview system, it will be more than that. You'd need ADAHRS, remote magnetometer, network cables, engine monitoring module, etc. If you already have a panel you like, Dynon probably isn't your best option for adding ADS-B. Their equipment is meant to run in its own ecosystem. Something like the Uavionix SkyBeacon would be a better bet. I believe they plan to add "In" functionality soon.

Esser
04-16-2018, 04:32 PM
I bought a GTX327 with the plan to add a GDL88 later for ADSB requirements. About $4000 total with a used GTX327

neville
04-16-2018, 06:20 PM
Here are some pic's of my installation for ADS-B in and ADS-B out. The small black antenna shown mounted by suction cup on the windshield is for the GDL-39 ADS-B in. The output is hard wired to a panel mounted Aera 500 and by bluetooth to a 8" Android tablet. Normally I use the tablet to display traffic from the GDL-39. The tablet also has the Garmin Pilot program to display other ads-b in data. The pic's of the interior looking AFT show the ELT mount and the ground plane for the ADS-B out antenna. ADS-B out is from the Dynon mode S transponder which is controlled by the Advanced 5600 EFIS. Also shown on the left looking aft and up the side of the plane is the Dynon mode S unit, also controlled by the 5600. The Dynon 2020 compliant GPS in mounted on the tubing above the pilot seat. Have about 50 hrs on the system and all is functioning perfectly. Note, the mode S antenna is a blade antenna as a stub (rod) antenna has marginal band width for Mode S.

fastfred
04-17-2018, 06:59 AM
Anyone use the garmin g3x? Is that priced any better

aviator79
04-17-2018, 07:12 AM
Anyone use the garmin g3x? Is that priced any better

Pricing is pretty similar. Garmin's display is less expensive, but some other components are more expensive. You'd probably come out around the same by the time you built up either system.

Clark in AZ
04-17-2018, 08:21 AM
To me it's not the initial cost of the system (Garmin G3X), it's the yearly cost to update that turned me off to the Garmin.

Clark

fastfred
04-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Good to know. Dynon doesnt cost much to maintain?
I will have to wait on the glass panel for a while anyway as I am not putting anymore cash into it. I old school gages work fine with a tablet.

aviator79
04-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Garmin's database is at least $50/yr to keep it functional. Dynon's aviation database updates are free.

That said, if you want chart data, Dynon costs $100/year and Garmin costs $150/ year. So however you slice it, Garmin costs $50 more per year.

jiott
04-17-2018, 12:01 PM
Dynon firmware updates are also free. Everytime new features are added or improvements made or bugs fixed its free.

n85ae
04-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Not sure this is entirely relevant, but I'm not sure that antenna location is
really that critical (I might be wrong). I have my little home brew stratux with
it's antenna located between my instrument panel, and firewall in amongst
all the wiring - Works great. This started as an experiment, BUT I receive with
zero problems .... So I have just kept it there.

Likely once I get my uavionix, I'll mount it inside a wingtip since there's
a lot of space out there, and it's clear of other stuff.

My airplane already looks like a porcupine with dual navcom, gps, transponder,
elt, gs, and marker antenna's so I kind of need to use the wingtip. My
bottom cowling has a glassed in dipole glideslope antenna in it, so that's
a possible location a person could put an antenna

Jeff

Maverick
03-02-2019, 01:00 PM
I am building a KF5. The location of the transponder antenna mount is just behind the passenger seat aft of the header tank. I am using the Garmin GTX327 and the echoUAT/skyFYX combo so, I appear to need a second antenna for the echoUAT. According to the installation manual I need to mount this second antenna 1 meter from the GTX327 transponder antenna on a ground plane that is at least 200mm in diameter. Has anyone else run into the issue of where to mount that second antenna? (pics would be appreciated)

Maverick

airlina
03-02-2019, 02:09 PM
I am building a KF5. The location of the transponder antenna mount is just behind the passenger seat aft of the header tank. I am using the Garmin GTX327 and the echoUAT/skyFYX combo so, I appear to need a second antenna for the echoUAT. According to the installation manual I need to mount this second antenna 1 meter from the GTX327 transponder antenna on a ground plane that is at least 200mm in diameter. Has anyone else run into the issue of where to mount that second antenna? (pics would be appreciated)

Maverick

Maverick do a search for ADSB and find the one started by Jeffbock and you will find a good discussion on this very subject with photos of how I installed my second antenna on my Series 5 . I would provide a link to that thread if I could figure out how to reference it for you, but as they say I am technically challenged in those matters. Bruce N199CL

hiline
03-02-2019, 04:41 PM
I just installed the uavionics adsb as you mentioned in my KF5, and put the antenna behind the pilots seat area and Bruce is right there are pics of this on this site.
Very easy install too!
Tony

hiline
03-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Here it is...

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/8904-uAvionics-ADS-B-Install-Kitfox-7

ken nougaret
03-02-2019, 05:52 PM
I had two inspection covers on the belly back where the elevator pushrods link. I used one of the covers to mount the antenna with ground plane. Works great.

airlina
03-02-2019, 05:54 PM
Maverick,here is the link I was referring to for antenna locations https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/threads/8634-Ads-b/page2?highlight=adsb+installation, lots of good installation info in this thread, Bruce N199CL