PDA

View Full Version : Boot cowl trimming

cposer
04-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Looking for some suggestions as to how others trimmed the forward edge of their boot cowl to 3/4" without damaging it. Thanks

efwd
04-12-2018, 01:50 PM
Dremel tool with plastic cutting disk. Flawless. I beleive a metal cutting disk works as well. Im not sure they aren’t the same thing honestly.
Eddie

aviator79
04-12-2018, 02:26 PM
Dremel tool with plastic cutting disk. Flawless. I beleive a metal cutting disk works as well. Im not sure they aren’t the same thing honestly.
Eddie

I just trimmed my wingtips with one of those, and agree it makes a good clean cut in fiberglass. It helps to mark your cut line with blue tape.

cposer
04-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Thanks, I'll pick one of those up.

Esser
04-12-2018, 06:45 PM
6” angle Grinder. I find it’s the easiest for me to keep straight lines.

PapuaPilot
04-12-2018, 09:14 PM
My cowls came as two pieces (top and bottom). I ended up cutting both of them to make them into separate boot and engine cowls.

I used a Dremel tool, made an aluminum guide that I ran along an edge I did out of pink foam. After determining where the cut needed to be I put the blue tape on the cowl. Next I positioned the pink foam to create a lip to run the Dremel bit along the cut line. It was easy to cut a straight line by running the Dremel down the guide. I used my narrowest bit as a router.

Maybe you could do something like this with a cutting wh eel and homemade guide. I unscrewed the plastic nose piece of the Dremel to mount the aluminum home made guide. I made a hole in the aluminum the size of the Dremel nose and and mounted it on the Dremel using the threaded nose piece. Then I put another piece of aluminum with a small hole for the bit to come through. When I installed the bit I made it so I just came through the hole.

DesertFox4
04-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Harbor Freight ocillating multi-tool. Don’t need the variable speed model shown in this photo. Just paid $15.00 with coupon for single speed model. Used it to cut fiberglass and carbon fiber items during my build. Works perfectly with the cutting attachment shown which is sold separately. Works best when the part being cut is layed on a piece of scrap wood if able. Easy to cut nice straight lines and curves.