PDA

View Full Version : Super Sport Instruction Recommendation

Bobo
04-04-2018, 05:38 PM
I would like to know if you have any recommendations for a CFI that can give me instruction in a Kitfox Super Sport. Several of the insurance companies I’m considering require either 5 hours of dual or just a sign off from a CFI that I’m good to go (no minimum hours).

From talking with folks, reading this forum & my research, it seams that Stick & Rudder is the gold standard for Kitfox instruction. I can & will go to them if there is no other suitable option closer to where I live which is the Cleveland, OH area. I’m willing to drive quite a few hours if needed.

A little background for me if it matters. I have 450+ hours in a Stearman and about 10 hours in a Cub so I feel very comfortable in tailwheel airplanes. I’ve been a professional pilot for 28+ years and currently fly about 350 hours a year.

Respectfully, Todd

Av8r_Sed
04-05-2018, 04:48 AM
Go ahead and treat yourself to a little Idaho vacation. Your Kitfox transition could well include a good dose of backcountry fun. You just can't find that in the flatlands.

Ramos
04-05-2018, 09:25 AM
I suspect the best return on investment will come from the Gold Standard. Way more to gain than simply meeting an insurance requirement! ;)

efwd
04-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Stand by Todd, I will have very current input to this come early next week. I begin flying on Tuesday with Stick and Rudder. As for back country, that takes place Friday and Saturday. I will post when I can. Maybe I can post every night to kind of give you an idea of how the training goes for me. I know there are others who are in my same condition. I have been out of flying for over 20 years and have logged very little time whatsoever over those years, all of which were with instructors. Soooo looking forward to next week.
Eddie

fastfred
04-05-2018, 02:49 PM
[Eddie I am it the same situation as you being out for over 20 years. I was at stick rudder a couple weeks ago and it was great. The back country was not opened up yet. I am planning another visit in May. have fun

Bobo
04-05-2018, 06:21 PM
Thank you all for your input far, keep it coming. I especially look forward to hearing from those at & about to go to Stick & Rudder.

R/ Todd

aviator79
04-06-2018, 05:05 AM
I flew with S&R last fall. They keep their equipment in top shape, and I don't think you'll find any instructors anywhere that know the Kitfox better than Paul and his team. The Idaho Backcountry makes a great showroom for the Kitfox, and an awfully fun place to do Kitfox transition training. I highly recommend breakfast at Sulphur Creek. Airfare, hotel, and car are going to add up to $600 bucks or so for a weekend, which is only 0.6 aviation monetary units. Well worth it. I still haven't wiped the smile off my face.

Esser
04-06-2018, 09:04 AM
My wife and I are going at the end of May For the back country loop over 5 days with two airplanes. I cannot wait!

David47
04-07-2018, 02:40 PM
I’m booked to go for 3 days with couple of overnights at two Ranches in early July. Really looking forward to this. Then off to Oshkosh.

BobRS
04-07-2018, 10:55 PM
Absolutely no question that you take some training from S&R. Had my 1.5-hr maiden flight in our SS7 in Jan and it was a no surprises event. Everything our KF did during that initial flight was practiced at S&R. A KF is different from any other plane you may have flown and Paul and his staff will teach you a few things that are unique to your Kitfox.

BobRS
N104Y, SS7, Rotax 914
Albuquerque, NM