PDA

View Full Version : 800 hours / 18 months

WiVM
04-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Hi,

I noticed that the factory is giving 1000 hours or 18 month as average build time. Even 200 hours less with quick build wings. Looking at the builder websites, this looks VERY optimistic: 800 hours / 18 months = 44,5 hour per month = 11 hours per week.

How realistic is that build time given by the factory? I am talking about a 7 STi with Rotax engine. No fancy (time consuming) modifications.

Thanks

Esser
04-03-2018, 10:15 AM
There are lots of people who do it in that time frame. Ross did his in about that time. Scott N was about a year and there are lots of guys like Cherry Bark, Jeremy, and Eddie who are in-line for about 2 years.

I’m 6 years in with whole periods of a year where I didn’t touch the plane. I’m probably a couple hundred hours over the average however my FWF is completely different than the kitfox instructions which ads time (EFI, dual alternator, Intercooler, ect)

I would say 1200 hours for a first time builder. Others will chime in

aviator79
04-03-2018, 12:44 PM
I'm not far enough along to have an authoritative word, but I would say that 1000-1200 hours if you ordered Quick Build wings is more reasonable. 18 months is reasonable as well. However, what is "reasonable", "average" and "typical" are three different things. I would say that the average and median build times are considerably longer than 18 months. While it is probably on the optimistic side, enough people have done it that it's certainly not unreasonable.

jiott
04-03-2018, 02:08 PM
I think a lot has to do with how you log your time. Many folks estimate from memory after several days and only consider time "actually working". Me being a detail oriented engineer logged my time accurately starting from the time I stepped into the shop, until I left after all cleanup and tools put away. I even logged time spent reading the manual and planning the next steps. My total time doing it this way was a little over 2000 hours, for a first time build.

jiott
04-03-2018, 02:10 PM
To further clarify, I did not use quick build anything or any prefab parts.

WiVM
04-03-2018, 02:34 PM
At OSH I generally hear people saying "at least double the time the kit manufacturer says". Being aware that it all come down on how much time someone can spend on it every day/week/month, I just want to do a reality check with those numbers, so I know were I get myself into. A lot of kitplanes are never finished. It is not an exact science, more a guideline. I come from a RV background were there are amazingly boring stages in the build. The wings or the fuel tanks to just give two examples. That kit requires a lot of preparation of mental sheets: drill, debur, countersync, dimple, prime, ... while the actual building, meaning putting things together so the final rivets can go in, it rather limited. It takes time before people who are not building see that it actually becomes an aircraft. Not always very motivating for the builder. To my feeling this kit is different in that way that you see quicker and more consistent progress because you don't do all this boring preparations on metal sheets. I think this helps a lot to motivate to continue...

HighWing
04-03-2018, 05:15 PM
For what it's worth, I would totally ignore the "18 months". In my wildest imagination, I can't conceive of how that figure could be determined. Not a 7, but my first IV kit was delivered in March 1993 and I fist flew September 1998. I was working full time. The second was a partially completed IV kit - up to wing mounting. Purchased early 2011 and first flight 2012.

Thinking about your RV experience - not many of those drudgery days looking forward to being able to take some meaningful "Progress Shots.

David47
04-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Got my kit mid March 2017. I've logged 600 hours hands on and figure I have about 300 more to go... I log my hours after each build session. If I was to add in the hours spent reading the manual, researching from this site etc, I'd add about another 200-300 hours. I think numbers such as 18 months to 2 years and 1000 to 1200 hours are reasonable, but it depends on many other factors such as whether you work fulltime, family commitments, whether you have reasonable DIY skills etc. But in the end, it takes what it takes.

efwd
04-03-2018, 08:48 PM
Im approaching 25 months. The last two months have had nearly no work as I am so unmotivated to do the electrical. I know, I am always bringing that up.:( This coming Monday I begin a week of transition training / back country and Bi-annual flying with Stick and Rudder. I am really counting on that to motivate me back into the garage. The only things I have left are the Turtle Deck build, interior fabric and of course the electrical. :)
Eddie

DesertFox4
04-03-2018, 08:51 PM
Eddie, I think your time scheduled with Stick & Rudder will be plenty motivating. Have fun. I know you will.:)

Esser
04-04-2018, 07:16 AM
Im approaching 25 months. The last two months have had nearly no work as I am so unmotivated to do the electrical. I know, I am always bringing that up.:( This coming Monday I begin a week of transition training / back country and Bi-annual flying with Stick and Rudder. I am really counting on that to motivate me back into the garage. The only things I have left are the Turtle Deck build, interior fabric and of course the electrical. :)
Eddie

You might be surprised Eddie. I was DREADING the electrical and it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the build for me..

Av8r3400
04-04-2018, 09:22 AM
You might be surprised Eddie. I was DREADING the electrical and it turned out to be one of the more enjoyable parts of the build for me..

Me, too. It was time consuming and tedious, but I found it very satisfying.

jdmcbean
04-04-2018, 09:52 AM
The averages we see across the board have been 1000 hours / 18 months.. These are averages that have been shared with us over MANY years.
We've had some that have been building for several years, changed jobs and houses.
Many have finished in as little as 5 and 6 months.
Circumstances are going to be very different for each person. It is not a race.
Averages are just that.. your mileage may vary.
PS.. a majority of the kits are sold with quick build wings.

av8rps
04-10-2018, 11:11 AM
I think the averages John just shared with us are quite realistic. But of course, not everyone works at the same rate. So as John said "Your mileage may vary" :)

And just like when you got your pilots license, if you stretch the time to get your license out over a few years vs a few months, you will have to relearn much of what you forgot between lessons. Building a plane is much the same in my opinion. The person that can apply a constant, dedicated work discipline will always build a kitplane faster than the person that wants the build to be an enjoyable activity that will be fit in between their other activities of life.

I personally like the second option, as if you can balance your build with things like your family obligations it will be a more enjoyable experience. But of course it will take longer. In the end however, I believe you will not only have a much better overall experience for all involved, but likely a nicer airplane. Spreading it out also helps ease the expense, which is also good for things like the family budget.

I think this is why you see most people take their time building their Kitfox. Of course, to onlookers that probably makes the whole process look more difficult and time consuming than it really is. But everyone involved is probably a bit happier in the end.

With all that said, I've seen people build a kitplane in two months. But they had no life and were exhausted by the time it was done. Unless you are truly a workaholic, I might question if that is even healthy? Before I would do that I'd just buy a flying airplane. But then you would lose that great sense of satisfaction that comes from building your very own flying machine. And that in my opinion is priceless...

jeffbock
04-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Just to put in my two cents worth. Am retired, except for volunteering as an EMT, My hangar is a 5 minute walk from home, and most importantly I had sold my Lake Buccaneer and was without a flying machine. Logged my build pretty carefully, which was my first build, and included the quick build wings. Came in at 1600hours and first flight in 22months. I felt it was pretty good as had never done fabric, paint, or wiring a panel.
Oh yes...marriage still entact. Jeff, N. Idaho

Wheels
04-13-2018, 09:25 PM
Jeff's plane is immaculate, and I am envious. I watched him build it and his numbers are dead on.
Decide what you want and how bad you want it. Then take the level of action required to satisfy that decision. It IS math, but keep the marriage intact:D