PDA

View Full Version : Ads-b

jeffbock
03-26-2018, 02:19 PM
Not even sure I want to install ADS-B but curious about what is a good option. I was going to go through NavWorX as their unit would interface with the Sandia STX-165 transponder I installed. Alas, they went bossoms skyward. Any decent choices in the experimental arena?

airlina
03-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Jeff, I and a few other guys on the forum went with the Uavionix ECHO ADSB in/out unit. I also bought their SKYFYX ext WAAS GPS to go with the ECHO transceiver. I paid $1350 for both units and the installation which I just finished a few weeks ago was very straightforward . As usual the toughest part was routing the wiring in an already done airplane. I did not want to have to replace my transponder (Microair) and this unit is compatible with many transponders as it "sniffs" the transponder signals. I use a tablet for navigation and weather and traffic is displayed on it from the Uavionix setup. There is more info on some forum threads if you do an ADSB search.
Still have a 3 foot drift of snow in front of the hangar , so haven't been able to do testing yet but hopefully later this week. Bruce N199CL

Dave S
03-26-2018, 03:21 PM
Jeff,

Following the success that "BOGMONSTER" on this list had with using the uAvionix in his Kitfox, I purchased the same ECHO UAT and SKYFYX for our plane. Simplicity of installation, cost, utilization of the existing transponder, runs both frequencies (UAT and Extended squitter), bluetooths to a tablet for ADS-B In and the fact that the company is not a jonny-come-lately in the market as they have been making miniature ADS-B out products for drones for quite a while all played into my choice. Setup is simple and can be done with either an android or ipad

Don't have it installed yet but hope to do that after things warm up a bit out here.

You can get on their website and look up the installation manual if you are interested in how that works.

airlina
03-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Some pics of my Echo install

Av8r_Sed
03-26-2018, 05:54 PM
Bruce, I'll be very interested in hearing how your unit is working out when you get flying. That's the combo I'm aiming for later this summer.

I was reading on an RV forum that some people are having trouble with ghost planes (real planes that disappear and reappear later). uAvionics was working on their filtering algorithms to combat this. There just isn't much information out there on this.

airlina
03-27-2018, 02:58 AM
Bruce, I'll be very interested in hearing how your unit is working out when you get flying. That's the combo I'm aiming for later this summer.

I was reading on an RV forum that some people are having trouble with ghost planes (real planes that disappear and reappear later). uAvionics was working on their filtering algorithms to combat this. There just isn't much information out there on this.

Paul I will pass on my results as soon as I get this pesky snow to melt at my airstrip. Bruce N199CL

Maverick
04-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Has anyone investigated this ADS-B system?
https://www.flyingmag.com/avionics-gear/instrumentaccessories/ads-b-compliance-699-its-true-sort

If so, what is your impression. I'm trying to determine where to locate various antenna and reading other threads, I've determined that I need to know more about the electronics I'm going to use first.

rv9ralph
04-24-2018, 09:53 PM
That article is from 2015. Navworks had some issues with the FAA and is no longer doing business.
Ralph

airlina
04-27-2018, 04:14 PM
The weather and snow melt has finally allowed me some test flights with my new Uavionix Echo UAT and SKYFYX ext GPS ADSB combo(man thats a mouthful of acronyms ). My setup is as follows :the above mentioned ADSB setup from Uavionix sending to a Samsung Galaxy tablet running the Naviator app. (On the Uavionix website they have an extensive list of apps they are compatible with ) The ADSB "in " info is weather and traffic and works very well so far. One of the features that turned me on to this setup was the fact that I could use my current Microair transponder and the signal would be magically "sniffed" by the Echo UAT , although if you choose to, the transponder can be hardwired to the ECHO. After conferring with tech support(found them very helpful and willing) at Uavionix they told me sniffing would be fine , so that is the route I chose. Just finished a test flight tonight and I went on the FAA ADSB performance test website to generate a flight report which was a pass with no abnormalities so I am good to go. Overall I found this package to be an small, lightweight, economical solution to the 2020 mandate , easy to install and configure with great company tech support support. Earlier in this thread you can see pictures of my install. Bruce N199CL

ken nougaret
04-29-2018, 02:40 AM
Bruce, where did you mount your stubby antenna? How far from your transponder ant is it? I think i heard they wanted 5 feet separation?
Ken

airlina
04-29-2018, 03:45 AM
Bruce, where did you mount your stubby antenna? How far from your transponder ant is it? I think i heard they wanted 5 feet separation?
Ken

Ken, I will get to the hangar today and get a photo and measurement for you, Bruce

airlina
04-29-2018, 07:39 AM
Ken, here are a couple photos of my antenna locations. the front stub type antenna is for my transponder and the rear airfoiled type is for my Uavionix ADSB UAT transceiver. A stub antenna was provided with the Uavionix purchase but i was already using this airfoiled antenna for my ADSB in only receiving from a Dual 170 GPS that I have been using the last few years for in cockpit weather, so I simply plugged the new setup into this antenna. I had an inspection plate back there ,so I mounted the antenna on the metal plate and it has worked great. The distance between these two antennas is 56 inches. Bruce N199CL

Dave S
04-29-2018, 02:01 PM
Bruce,

I like where you mounted the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the tail cone. Thinking about doing that also. I did ask the uAvionics people about that location and they didn't see any problem with the sllght angle of the bottom of the tailcone.

Question - do you have the com antenna on the top of the fuselage? And, what kind of ground plane; if any, did you use for the com and ads-b antenna?

I have the transponder TED antenna about the same place you have yours - maybe a little further forward; my only concern with mounting the ADS-B antenna back is the fact that I have the trigear and wondering if the gear would interfere between the two antennas? (Yeah - I already know what everyone will say about the gear location! :rolleyes:Thinking it shouldn't matter with the proximity of the two anyway as the signal strength should be good.

Good to hear the report came back solid.

Tom Waid
04-29-2018, 02:18 PM
I first installed the Navworx UAT. Adhering to their instructions I obeyed the distance requirements by mounting the antenna in the tail. When my Navworx unit turned into a pumpkin I accepted the Dallas Avionics offer of a plug and play EchoUAT. That worked!! I recently received an excellent ADS-B performance report. My UAT antenna is still in the tail. I'm not sure it's necessary but that's where it is and it's working.

http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/images/1279.jpg

airlina
04-29-2018, 02:55 PM
Bruce,

I like where you mounted the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of the tail cone. Thinking about doing that also. I did ask the uAvionics people about that location and they didn't see any problem with the sllght angle of the bottom of the tailcone.

Question - do you have the com antenna on the top of the fuselage? And, what kind of ground plane; if any, did you use for the com and ads-b antenna?

I have the transponder TED antenna about the same place you have yours - maybe a little further forward; my only concern with mounting the ADS-B antenna back is the fact that I have the trigear and wondering if the gear would interfere between the two antennas? (Yeah - I already know what everyone will say about the gear location! :rolleyes:Thinking it shouldn't matter with the proximity of the two anyway as the signal strength should be good.

Good to hear the report came back solid.
Hi Dave , to answer your questions : my comm antenna is located just aft of the turtle deck cover on top of the fuse. I have a a microair com and transponder , and initially both antennas were installed without a ground plane. During initial flight testing I realized this setup was not going to work so I made up ground planes for both antennas (I have included a picture of my transponder antenna and the comm antenna is very similar )and that worked. The ADSB antenna , as I mentioned is simply installed in a metal inspection cover that was already there , so I thought I would give it a go without any other ground plane and apparently its working as the passed ADSB performance test showed. Good luck with the install , I am very happy with the Uavionix system and think its a good bang for your buck. Bruce N199CL

JAMES20011
04-29-2018, 05:34 PM
Hello Jim here in Eastern Oregon , kitfox series 7 ..Just recived my new echouat and antenna, I see several have installed this unit as a sniffer??? how do I do that..Please

jrevens
04-29-2018, 11:22 PM
Hello Jim here in Eastern Oregon , kitfox series 7 ..Just recived my new echouat and antenna, I see several have installed this unit as a sniffer??? how do I do that..Please

Hi Jim,

Just install the unit as per the instructions. Then you can download a free uAvionics app for your phone or iPad. You connect via WiFi to the Echo and can then set-up and monitor the Echo. During the simple set-up process you choose between wiring direct to your transponder or using the “sniffer” function. I wired mine direct to my Garmin 327 transponder, but you have the option to do it either way. There is nothing special you have to do other than that.

Dorsal
06-17-2018, 05:26 AM
Just ordered the Garmin GDL-82, I like that is uses the same antenna as the transponder. Had to remove the Navworx (anybody want an expensive paper weight :mad:). I do have a second antenna inside the vertical stab but shouldn't need it with the 82.

jrevens
06-17-2018, 09:50 AM
I removed my Navworx box too, Finn. I like the uAvionix units that I have now.
It’s really good to see you on the forum again!

Dorsal
06-17-2018, 05:03 PM
Thanks John, good to be back.
Given my plane is all Dynon and Garmin and I already have the GDL-39 I decided to go with the 82 with built in WAAS GPS. Low risk of the a Navworx repeat and I don't have an existing valid GPS source. Will report back on the install, should be in a week or so.

n85ae
07-19-2018, 07:56 AM
N85AE Now has a Uavionix EchoUAT and SkyFYX-EXT installed in the pilot side
wingtip.

Like Bruce, first test flight had some red flags, which turned out to be the
transponder threshold adjustment needing to be adjusted. Uavionix replied to
my email for support on a Sunday morning after I emailed on Saturday night
and by noon Sunday I was able to complete another test flight and it was
completely clean.

The threshold adjust is done from the app you set it up with, they have an
advanced settings page which is accessible fairly easily. There is a doc on
their website which details using it. Essentially you just sit in the plane, and
see if your transponder light is flashing (indicating it's being hit by radar) and
you adjust the threshold a little bit at a time until you see the app indicating
pressure altitude. After which it should be close if not completely set.

I took the supplied antenna and rather than create a ground plane, I modified
it as the below image indicates with some copper wire (The four radials are
inside the wingtip and the antenna protrudes from the bottom). I've had no
issues with reception, and my test results were clean.

Jeff Hays

-

bumsteer
08-22-2018, 03:25 PM
Should be interesting to see how the Garmin lawsuit against uAvionix shakes out.

Rick

Av8r3400
08-23-2018, 06:32 AM
Should be interesting to see how the Garmin lawsuit against uAvionix shakes out.

Rick

I just saw that, too. How disappointing.

fastfred
08-23-2018, 10:10 AM
How come you didn't go with Dynon in and out

GMKman
08-25-2018, 07:15 PM
N85AE Now has a Uavionix EchoUAT and SkyFYX-EXT installed in the pilot side
wingtip.

Like Bruce, first test flight had some red flags, which turned out to be the
transponder threshold adjustment needing to be adjusted. Uavionix replied to
my email for support on a Sunday morning after I emailed on Saturday night
and by noon Sunday I was able to complete another test flight and it was
completely clean.

The threshold adjust is done from the app you set it up with, they have an
advanced settings page which is accessible fairly easily. There is a doc on
their website which details using it. Essentially you just sit in the plane, and
see if your transponder light is flashing (indicating it's being hit by radar) and
you adjust the threshold a little bit at a time until you see the app indicating
pressure altitude. After which it should be close if not completely set.

I took the supplied antenna and rather than create a ground plane, I modified
it as the below image indicates with some copper wire (The four radials are
inside the wingtip and the antenna protrudes from the bottom). I've had no
issues with reception, and my test results were clean.

Jeff Hays

-

Jeff, by chance do you have any pics of your wingtip install?

n85ae
08-26-2018, 01:06 PM
I can take a look, I think I have some. Honestly the EchoUAT is about the size
of a deck of cards and I just screwed it to the end rib. The GPS is mounted with
a bracket I made which looks like Bruce Lina's GPS mount. The antenna simply
sticks out of the bottom of the wingtip. Currently I have copper tape strips as
a ground plane in the floor of the tip, but can't tell any difference over the first
antenna (the spider). There's a ton of room in the wingtip so it's a very simple
install.

I'll post pics if I find some.

Regards,
Jeff Hays

fastfred
08-27-2018, 07:07 AM
So I am clear ,to use the Uavionix you also put in a mode s transponder correct?

ken nougaret
08-27-2018, 07:11 AM
No. Mode c works.

fastfred
08-27-2018, 07:18 AM
THanks . I am confused Dynon says I need to scrap my garmin transponder and upgrade to the mode S?

GMKman
08-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Uavionics works with both modes C and S according to their website.

jiott
08-27-2018, 09:38 AM
For ADS-B out only, the Dynon mode S transponder and their latest 2020 gps antenna puck is all you need to be compliant (provided you have the Dynon Skyview efis). The Dynon ADS-B module they sell is made by UAvionics specifically for Dynon, but it is only for ADS-B in.

GuppyWN
08-27-2018, 06:04 PM
THanks . I am confused Dynon says I need to scrap my garmin transponder and upgrade to the mode S?

Check out the Garmin GDL-82. Should work great with your 327.

Dorsal
08-27-2018, 07:34 PM
I installed the GDL 82 a couple months ago, works well. One advantage is that it uses the same antenna as the transponder. Needs power, ground and it's GPS antenna, fairly simple install.