PDA

View Full Version : What landing/taxi lights are you using?

tracstarr
02-28-2018, 08:24 AM
I want to add landing lights to my build for the rare occasion I fly at night. What are people using? I've seen the aeroled micro sun and aero-sun lights, but there must be alternatives out there. I've also found https://www.crazedpilot.com/led-lighting/ which is a lot cheaper.

Are there other alternatives?

Also, where are you mounting them? Wing ends? Struts? cowling?

aviator79
02-28-2018, 08:49 AM
I bought a pair from forum member Josh Esser that he designed to fit the KF wingtips. They are still in the box, as I won't be powering them up for awhile but the quality appears pretty top-notch, and he did a nice job of packing as much emitter as possible into the space in the wingtip. If I need any support, I also know where to find him. :) You might send him a PM.

DesertFox4
02-28-2018, 08:50 AM
I tried the strobes and also the GoPro audio patch cord from the site you mentioned and both failed shortly after purchase. Quality is poor I'm sorry to say compared to lights made specifically for aircraft use. In fact the strobes failed before I got to make my first flight with them. The GoPro cable made about 4 flights. Look elsewhere for something of quality.

AeroLeds are top shelf products with customer service and support after the sale.

tracstarr
02-28-2018, 08:52 AM
I tried the strobes and also the GoPro audio patch cord from the site you mentioned and both failed shortly after purchase. Quality is poor I'm sorry to say compared to lights made specifically for aircraft use. In fact the strobes failed before I got to make my first flight with them. The GoPro cable made about 4 flights. Look elsewhere for something of quality.

AeroLeds are top shelf products with customer service and support after the sale.

far enough. not looking to cheap out that's for sure. Just curious as to options that exist and experience of others. So thanks. Will delete from my bookmarks.

n85ae
02-28-2018, 09:43 AM
I still think my light solution is the best :)

My quick connect light bar, can be seen in this link. It takes two minutes
to put under the aircraft, and I look like a 747 on final! It is attached using
the float attach points with clevis pins, and I have a connector on the belly
which I plug in at. The connector is fed by a relay controlled from my ldg
light switch. I have the stock wingtip lights, but in all honesty they do
nothing compared to the big halogen. Also reflected light off the belly
provides illumination in the flare so I can see the ground in my peripheral
vision.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=6136

Jeff

Dave S
02-28-2018, 09:45 AM
Tracstar,

I used automotive halogens mounted as shown in the attached photo - one focused for taxi and one focused for landing . I don't fly at night much either; but, I want to have the option so the aircraft was A/W'd for day night VFR.

I consider the lights mostly for another reason though - recognition - If the engine is running, day or night, every light on the plane is on.

These did not cost very much and have worked perfectly.

Dave S
02-28-2018, 09:47 AM
I REALLY like Jeff's light bar......thought about it but haven't done it...great idea.

tracstarr
02-28-2018, 09:48 AM
Tracstar,

I used automotive halogens mounted as shown in the attached photo - one focused for taxi and one focused for landing . I don't fly at night much either; but, I want to have the option so the aircraft was A/W'd for day night VFR.

I consider the lights mostly for another reason though - recognition - If the engine is running, day or night, every light on the plane is on.

These did not cost very much and have worked perfectly.

That is a nice idea. Do you find any issues with shadows from the nose ? Also saves wires going through wings and the added effort of mounting in the wing tips.

Dave S
02-28-2018, 11:22 AM
tracstar,

The nose isn't a problem - they are mounted on clamps around the landing gear close to the pivot point - 1) the clamps hold the lights down far enough and 2) being out to the edge the inset side of the cowl clears the beam.

Requires some measuring and fabrication; but, I guess that is why we are builders!

n85ae
02-28-2018, 11:52 AM
My biased two cents ...

No issues at all. In fact while the light looks draggy, I don't notice it at all.
A really big benefit of the location is reflected light off the belly provides a
LOT of ground illumination. I have three lights on it, the big center one and
the two smaller ones. I have them angled such that the big one illuminates
the runway that I can see just over the nose on final with one notch of
flaperons. The two smaller ones help with close up illumination (they are
fog lights).

I don't care what kind of lights you put in the wingtips, they will never
provide the illumination you get from reflected light off the belly when you
land ... I'm surprised frankly that Kitfox never made a kit for detachable
light bar as an option ... (John?)

I adjusted them by putting tail on a sawhorse at roughly wheel landing attitude and using a hangar building in the distance as an adjustment
target.

I can install the light bar in less time than typing this post ....

Jeff

That is a nice idea. Do you find any issues with shadows from the nose ? Also saves wires going through wings and the added effort of mounting in the wing tips.

aviator79
02-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Don't forget to budget out your power when you're deciding. Bright halogens can draw considerable current. You may not be able shine ATLATT (All the lights all the time).

Dave S
02-28-2018, 02:36 PM
Don't forget to budget out your power when you're deciding. Bright halogens can draw considerable current. You may not be able shine ATLATT (All the lights all the time).

True,

Frankly, the Rotax alternator on the back of the engine is a rather wimpy little thing. I should have mentioned, we also have the Aux alternator. I figure if I ever get one of those giant LED off road light bars, should have enough power to make it look like the sun is coming up;)

The ones on the bottom of the plane are 55 watt each side.

cubtractor
02-28-2018, 03:41 PM
I'm using the Microsun from Aeroleds mounted up under the bend of the left hand side of the landing gear. It works great landing and taxiing.

tracstarr
02-28-2018, 07:23 PM
This has been a big help. I also stopped by the build here were he placed the lights in the wing tip. Said it was very time consuming.

I like the "light bar" idea using the aero leds. It seems to me it would make it very easy to add a second if one wasn't enough, or just dealing with any maintenance. Would also remove additional wire runs through the wing.

Downside I guess is they are more open to the elements and possibly damage. As well as "maybe" some drag - but as mentioned minimal.

I think my initial decision here is the "light bar". Subject to change upon reaching that point in the build. But I like it a lot.

n85ae
02-28-2018, 08:20 PM
Haha, or if you want to get serious, and not worry about your airplane
alternator toss a deep cycle marine battery in the baggage compartment, and
run it isolated from ships power ... Then as long as your wires and battery can handle it just keep adding lights ...

Jeff

n85ae
02-28-2018, 08:23 PM
Extra benefit, is the cool factor. I get lots of comments from the Cessna drivers
when they see me taxi by with the spotlight. Don't forget about that, add some
big tires on the plane, get it muddy, and with the spotlight ...

littlecricket
02-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Anybody put them in the cowl like Aerotrek has them?

Mcslamma
03-01-2018, 06:11 AM
Here's what I am using, two small LED's from Napa, I've had boaters tell me they are very bright and effective. As I am on floats all summer. Very Low draw, and not too heavy.

tracstarr
03-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Has anyone tried a light bar designed for off road trucking? superbrightleds.com has some nice looking options. A 20" super slim light bar at 5000 lumens and 2500mA. Might be overkill.

PapuaPilot
03-01-2018, 07:42 AM
I bought a pair of Rigid Dually Spot lights that are for off road vehicles. The specs were about the same as the aircraft LED lights that have been mentioned. They are mounted in my wingtips and do a great job. Everybody says they are bright. I bought a Kuntzlman Wig-wag module from Aircraft Spruce.

Mcslamma
03-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Forgot pics..

littlecricket
03-01-2018, 10:22 AM
Anybody put them in the cowl like Aerotrek has them?Here is a picture.

PaulSS
03-01-2018, 07:25 PM
The Eurofox/Aerotrek has changed their layout in more recent models. Hopefully there should be a photo attached which shows the latest design.

jiott
03-01-2018, 09:07 PM
I put the Microsun taxi/landing light in the lower cowl, in the center air inlet; no fiberglass work at all. That last photo happens to be John McBean's plane. No I haven't had any cooling problems.

David47
03-02-2018, 05:02 AM
The Eurofox/Aerotrek has changed their layout in more recent models. Hopefully there should be a photo attached which shows the latest design.

Did my first 18 hours tailwheel experience in one of these. Fantastic little plane and fun to fly.