PDA

View Full Version : False bottom ribs under fuel tank

cposer
02-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Is there an easy way to install the false ribs under the fuel tank. The bottom of the tank is not that even and hand fitting each rib to the contour of the tank is tedious. So far on my left wing I have laid a level across the 1st and third rib and hand fitted each false rib. About 20 minutes per rib. Any suggestions?

jrevens
02-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Is there an easy way to install the false ribs under the fuel tank. The bottom of the tank is not that even and hand fitting each rib to the contour of the tank is tedious. So far on my left wing I have laid a level across the 1st and third rib and hand fitted each false rib. About 20 minutes per rib. Any suggestions?

That's basically how I did it.

jiott
02-12-2018, 10:03 PM
I cut the bottom false ribs about 1/16" short and then used little hardwood blocks to shim them up to proper height. This was much faster.

David47
02-13-2018, 03:57 AM
Ran a level as you did and did pretty much the same as Jim but used some spare plywood birch offcuts. And yes, its time consuming.

aviator79
02-13-2018, 09:15 AM
I did pretty much as you did. I did one first, and used it as a template on a second one. I then clamped that one to the rest of them, and belt-sanded them together to nearly the correct shape, leaving a little extra material to allow each one to be finished to shape. I found a bandfile to be handy for hand-finishing them to shape.

N213RV
02-17-2018, 07:58 PM
I shimmed mine into the proper position, then tacked them in place with CA glue and zip kicker (makes it dry instantly in position). Then I filleted them with Hysol . It was pretty quick and easy for me.