PDA

View Full Version : what heater did you use

mikedean
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
looking to install heater.....any suggestions, and where did you purchase yours....i have a model iv....rotax 912

Slyfox
09-29-2009, 11:36 AM
use a funnel and tie it to the back of the cooler, hose it inside.

take and seal off the area above your head and above the door, i used fabric.

buy a heat vest intended for motorcycle, this is the best.

DesertFox4
09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Steve, what a great way to pick up 18% more useful load.Nice going.

Slyfox
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
sorry to say, 80 degrees in the cockpit in winter, is dreaming.

sdemeyer
09-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Ha, Ha, +1 on the heated jacket liner. I use a Gerbing's heated jacket liner, www.gerbing.com (http://www.gerbing.com). I purchased this to comfortably ride my motorcycle during the winter but use it in the Kitfox as well. Very nice to have. I think it draws about 5 amps, on high, but high is way to hot

DesertFox4
09-30-2009, 12:50 AM
80 degrees in a model 4 , I agree , no way. You'd have to set the seat cushions on fire.
After spending some time flying John McBean's & Phil Lakers Super Sports, I might think 70 to 80 is completely possible. It is sealed up so much better compared to the model 4's you might easily fly with shirt sleeves in the winter. I still love my Model 4 but the more I fly the Model 7 Super Sport the more I'm convinced it's the way to go. The evolution of the breed has been truly spectacular. Great value for the money. "This is not your Father's Kitfox anymore", if I may steal that line from a famous car manufacturer.
You'll still have to take all your cold weather gear of course as you'll have to emerge sometime from your airborne tropical environment to refuel and stretch your legs (bladder).;)

mikedean
09-30-2009, 06:14 AM
and for those who did install a heater in your kitfox, what kind and where did you purchase it....

Dorsal
09-30-2009, 06:36 AM
I am using the kit supplied by KitFox, easy install, can't comment on the effectiveness (yet).

akarmy
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM
I have the heater core kit from Kitfox aircraft. It has 2 square computer fans sitting on top of it and a pull lever on the panel to control the amount of hot water going into the core. It works fine to take the chill off. Thus far I have only flown in temps down to about 50, so we will see how it does this winter.

I agree with others, that some sealing will be required to make much use of the heat. Right now I have lots of fresh air blowing around from various holes and cracks.

Slyfox
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Yup, and when it gets down to 25 degrees (you that's real cold) you feel every little crack. That's why I like the heat vest, just hit the button and instant heat.

hansedj
09-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Heater kit from kitfox, last winter worked great, nice and warm in our 6