PDA

View Full Version : wing varnish

cposer
02-05-2018, 03:50 PM
What is the best way to varnish the ribs? Spay or brush. With spray there is going to be a lot going on the spars. Also should I spray epoxy primer on the spars before or after rib varnish? if I spray epoxy primer first a lot will go on the ribs. Or is it best to just brush both ribs and spars? What have ya'll done?:confused:

David47
02-05-2018, 05:22 PM
On my build I used a brush for the ribs first, including false ribs. As a suggestion, install upper or lower false ribs and main ribs first then varnish. This allows easier access for varnishing, particularly the false ribs. Then install the upper or lower false ribs and varnish. Suggest then you apply epoxy primer to spars using hand brush. That’s how I did it and it worked well for me.

airlina
02-05-2018, 05:26 PM
What worked great for me was a hobby airbrush sprayer that allowed getting into all those tight places with minimal overspray. Did primer on the spars and varnish on the ribs . when i open up the wing for inspection, still looks new after 14 years . Bruce N199CL

jiott
02-05-2018, 06:25 PM
I used a brush for both.

aviator79
02-05-2018, 08:13 PM
I used a brush for both.

I brushed the first coat of varnish per the instructions. I sprayed the second two coats and then sprayed primer on the spars. Yes, I got some overspray both directions. However, the varnish and primer are compatible, and I can't think of any downside to the overspray. It's completely concealed and assures that all your wing bits are encapsulated in a continuous coating.

cposer
02-06-2018, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback.