PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B out questions

beeryboats
01-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Hi guys,
In doing some reading up on the ADS-B coming our way, I had some questions for those more in the know. I'm not flying yet, but soon, and I live just inside class D airspace. From what I've read I won't need to upgrade to fly from home. But if I stray far from home I'll need some new equipment? How much money we talking about to install this equipment? And will the alternator on my 582 be able to keep up with its power needs?

Timberwolf
01-28-2018, 07:40 AM
Lots of options. You will need to research and see if you want UAT or 1090ES. Do you currently have a transponder? If not cheapest option right now is the stratus ESG. However, this provides nothing for the in portion. Right now I would say you’re better off just flying the crap out of the plane and spending that money elsewhere. I’m holding out on adsb for my rv-6 as I got burned on the navworx for my other plane. More companies will have cheaper solutions.

Av8r_Sed
01-28-2018, 08:34 AM
First of all, do you really need it? Maybe if you don't need it near home, you should just get your plane flying and worry about it later.

AOPA has a lot of good information including this decision tree: https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b/ads-b-selector

If you do decide to equip, options start at around $1400 if you already have a Mode-C transponder. More like $2500 if you don't.

Only you can figure out if you have enough juice. You need to do a power budget by writing down all the equipment and power draw. My recollection is the 582 lighting coil puts out about 165 Watts. The regulator / rectifier you're using robs some of this. The best power savings I did with mine is to replace incandescent nav lights with LED. Also, older strobe systems are power hungry and there are LED alternatives now.

Personally, I like being able to see traffic and get audible alerts from my iPad. I would equip regardless if it was required or not since the prices have come down.

beeryboats
01-28-2018, 05:21 PM
Lots of options. You will need to research and see if you want UAT or 1090ES. Do you currently have a transponder? If not cheapest option right now is the stratus ESG. However, this provides nothing for the in portion. Right now I would say you’re better off just flying the crap out of the plane and spending that money elsewhere. I’m holding out on adsb for my rv-6 as I got burned on the navworx for my other plane. More companies will have cheaper solutions.

You have an RV6 now? Cool!

beeryboats
01-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys. Lets just hope they don't decide to expand their class C airspace on me...

Rodney
01-28-2018, 05:53 PM
Take a look at the IFLY website They have several options available. I bought the SkyGuardTWX system. It has both the in and UAT out functions. Nice to have traffic and weather I often fly around the north side of DFW class B. Sure is nice to see traffic Lots more traffic on ADSB than you would ever see visually

bogmonster
01-29-2018, 05:56 AM
I love my uavionix solution. 1300$, simple, light, in/out. I did a post on it 6 months ago or so.

jtpitkin06
01-29-2018, 07:19 AM
Uavionics is up to $1499 but it still looks like a simple solution

https://www.uavionix.com/products/skybeacon/

neville
01-29-2018, 07:40 AM
I have has a Garmin GDL-39 for ADS-B in for a couple of years now (about $500..00.) I recently added ADS-B out by purchasing the Dynon SV 261 mode S transponder and 2020 compliant GPS for my existing Advanced 5600 EFIS for $2600.00. All installed by me. So the complete ADS-B system was about $3300.00. Plus $130.00 to electronic shop for certification. Garmin unit is also about t$3300.00 with compliant internal GPS, but it must be installed by a certified shop for more dollars. Here in the puget sound area there is not much airspace where a legal flight will be possible after 2020 so for most operations a ADS-B out system will be a necessity.

Timberwolf
01-30-2018, 12:31 PM
I have has a Garmin GDL-39 for ADS-B in for a couple of years now (about $500..00.) I recently added ADS-B out by purchasing the Dynon SV 261 mode S transponder and 2020 compliant GPS for my existing Advanced 5600 EFIS for $2600.00. All installed by me. So the complete ADS-B system was about $3300.00. Plus $130.00 to electronic shop for certification. Garmin unit is also about t$3300.00 with compliant internal GPS, but it must be installed by a certified shop for more dollars. Here in the puget sound area there is not much airspace where a legal flight will be possible after 2020 so for most operations a ADS-B out system will be a necessity.

Neville, garmin has a unit for $1800 for UAT out called the GDL82. Anyone can install the garmin Avionics including the gtx345 in an experimental. They try to force you to use a dealer when installing in certified aircraft. Not sure what garmin unit you are referencing for $3300, but I assume the gtx335.

fastfred
02-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Anyone know anything about the Rebate?
The trouble for NavWorx surfaced when ADS600-B owners were denied payment of the FAA’s $500 ADS-B install rebate because the program only applies to FAA-approved and mandate-compliant systems.

jrevens
02-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Anyone know anything about the Rebate?
The trouble for NavWorx surfaced when ADS600-B owners were denied payment of the FAA’s $500 ADS-B install rebate because the program only applies to FAA-approved and mandate-compliant systems.

The “trouble” surfaced long before then.

fastfred
02-02-2018, 10:51 AM
Can we still get the rebate and is there a list of products that qualify?

jiott
02-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Unless something has changed recently, the final day to register for the rebate was Sept. 18, 2017.

jrevens
02-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Can we still get the rebate and is there a list of products that qualify?

Fred,

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/rebate/faq/#q0701

jiott
02-02-2018, 11:34 AM
I kind of feel I got cheated out of my rebate. I installed the Dynon Skyview system with their mode S remote transponder about 4.5 years ago. It turns out that this mode S xponder is compliant with the 2020 ADS-B out requirement. All it needed was to replace my old WAAS GPS antenna puck with the new Dynon 2020 WAAS puck, which I did last year (a super easy replacement). With just a little tweaking of the xponder setup parameters I was fully 2020 ADS-B out compliant, and passed the fly around test the FAA makes you do. So I then went to the FAA website to apply for my $500 rebate (since it was prior to Sept. 18) and found out I was not elgible! It was because according to the FAA ATC records I had been flying around for 4 years with a 2020 compliant xponder, and the rebate was only for NEW installations. Apparently the ATC people can only tell if you have the 2020 compliant xponder and they can't determine or don't care if you have a 2020 compliant WAAS GPS. My old GPS was WAAS but not the 2020 compliant WAAS, in other words not on their "list". I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect that I could have continued with the old WAAS GPS and become 2020 compliant and passed the fly test; they may never have really known my GPS was not on their "list". Anyway I am now all legally compliant but without my $500 rebate. Bummer!

fastfred
02-02-2018, 02:14 PM
So basically our existing transponders need to be replaced with the adsb unit? The rebate ends 2/15/18

jiott
02-02-2018, 02:24 PM
So apparently they extended the rebate deadline to Feb. 15.
Transponders need to be ads-b compliant AND coupled to a 2020 compliant WAAS gps.

fastfred
02-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Is it an addition to the existing transponder or does it have to be replaced with a new one?

Av8r_Sed
02-02-2018, 06:08 PM
So basically our existing transponders need to be replaced with the adsb unit? The rebate ends 2/15/18

fasrfred, You don’t necessarily have to replace a good working transponder. You can just add a UAT transmitter and approved WAAS GPS source. That works if you fly in the domestic US and operate under 18,000 ft. You have to look at the best option for your situation.