PDA

View Full Version : Custom Seat Pans?

tracstarr
01-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone has done custom seat pans or tried a different type of seat all together. Maybe something taller in the back? I guess I am thinking about something like a sports seat for a car. Something like https://www.amazon.com/FRP-310-Bucket-Adjustable-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B014622SSO?tag=bp_links-20

I've not sat in a KF yet, so i don't know what they are like. But I've always had problems with the midback height seats that they appear to have.

Just thinking of things before ordering my kit.

Thanks

Dave S
01-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Keith,

What you want to do is find someone with a Kitfox of the same model you might be interested in. See how the existing seat fits for you. That will tell you how high the existing seat back actually is - might be higher than you think it is from a picture. Also - a person can make seat back cushions that are higher or lower which drop right into the seat pan.

A couple things -

1) Going higher than the existing seat back height - the top of the seat back wraps around a horizontal structural tube; but, there are other structural tubes triangulated behind that - Take a look when you see a kitfox firsthand - a lot of your questions that nobody else could answer for you will likely be resolved.

2) A lot of though has gone into designing the Kitfox seat pan, particularly the current one which is very light, has a pair of under seat storage bays which double as a "butt block" to assure nobody comes crashing down on the seat and blocking the controls which run along the side and down the center between the R & L seats.

Be a great idea if you go find someone with a Kitfox - for many reasons including your seat questions:):):)

efwd
01-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Wonder if those seats could just fit right down into the seat pan? Sitting hight would probably fit me just fine, like a booster seat!. Yeah Im short.
Eddie

Esser
01-07-2018, 03:20 PM
I would say the sears aren’t mid back but about 3/4 back.

jiott
01-07-2018, 06:43 PM
Don't forget: weight! weight! weight!!

Don't write-off the Kitfox seat design without trying it. It is deceptively simple looking, but actually quite good. I have had about 10 different passengers ride in mine and have yet to get a complaint or even a mild negative comment about seat comfort. Of course your results may vary.

tracstarr
01-08-2018, 06:01 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I would love to get hands on for sure. Many answers will be had I'm sure. I've yet to find anyone close.

I guess I'm just thinking out loud. Chances are if no one is complaining, there's a reason. That said, what's the consensus on the seat foam? Are people cutting their own or using factory? I'm sure there's both.....

aviator79
01-08-2018, 08:33 AM
I spent 5 hours in a Kitfox in one day when I went up for my "demo ride". My back and butt felt much better after that than after 3 hours in a Cessna Cardinal that has tall-back seats with height and seat angle adjustments. (Maybe something to do with the 45 year old cushions...)

I would build it as-is and re-visit this "problem" if actual comfort issues arise. The seat pan would be easy to replace later if you decided it were really necessary.

tracstarr
01-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Yeah, replace later if a problem sounds like a plan. I'm also use to 30 year old seat in a C172 that are mid back and painful. I hit some rough air one time and threw my back out because the seat had no cushion. That was a painful flight home. I was just happy to have a copilot that day.

ken nougaret
01-08-2018, 03:42 PM
My wife and i made our own cushions and i cut the foam to give my back some lumbar support. They are very comfortable all day long.

TJay
01-08-2018, 04:52 PM
You can always build your own and place lumbar support where you need it

tracstarr
01-08-2018, 06:03 PM
@TJay what foam densities did you use there? I think making my own cushions is the smarter way to go initially.

TJay
01-08-2018, 06:45 PM
@TJay what foam densities did you use there? I think making my own cushions is the smarter way to go initially.

The blue is Medium Confoam and the Pink is Soft Confoam

ken nougaret
01-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Purchased my foam from Skandia.