PDA

View Full Version : Bubble doors

Flyboy66
01-06-2018, 02:37 PM
I am told that I absolutely need the bubble doors to be happy in life. Does anyone have close up pictures of the standard door and bubble doors so I can see if my life will be empty and void if I don’t order bubble doors at some point.

Guy Buchanan
01-07-2018, 10:38 AM
I depends on how big you and your plane are. If you're normal sized and flying a 1-4 then yes, the bubble doors will significantly improve your comfort. I've attached a picture that might show something informative, though bubble doors are kinda hard to photograph, being clear. Best bet is to find a set on a plane in your area and check it out.

Flyboy66
01-07-2018, 12:10 PM
It looks like it gets you about an extra 3 inches of arm room. What is the cabin width if a 1 - 4?
Thanks for the picture. It does help.

Guy Buchanan
01-08-2018, 11:38 AM
Found this cool table that indicates the cabin width is about 39.5" at the shoulders, and about 34" at the seat:

http://www.wanttaja.com/avlinks/cockpit.htm

WISDAN
01-08-2018, 07:44 PM
I absolutely love my bubble doors. I fought with the decision too but took the plunge and never looked back. They do weight more but I think well worth it.

Av8r3400
01-09-2018, 07:58 AM
I absolutely love my bubble doors. I fought with the decision too but took the plunge and never looked back. They do weight more but I think well worth it.

Ditto. I couldn't agree more.

Esser
01-09-2018, 09:19 AM
I like the idea of having an air rest somewhat with the bubble door. It’s wide enough you can rest your arm on the door cross frame

jiott
01-09-2018, 05:58 PM
I thought I might need an armrest, but you fly with your left hand on the stick and your left arm rests comfortably in your lap, so I have found no need of an armrest on the door.

kmach
01-09-2018, 06:53 PM
That was my thought too, left arm rests on leg.

Delta Whisky
01-10-2018, 07:58 AM
So - (WARNING: newbie question coming) having read the above and working on the same question (to bubble or not to bubble) if the cross bar is the limiting factor in shoulder width, and if you will be flying with your left hand on the stick/lap, what is the advantage of the bubble doors?

Additionally, does it limit the height to which the door will be raised for entry? Does it limit your ability to fly with the doors open? (Or, do you remove them for open door flight.)

Thanks, Darrel

Esser
01-10-2018, 09:19 AM
On long flights I switch hands.

The cross bar is mid rib not at the shoulder so the bubble doors do give more shoulder room. The door opening height is more limited by the gas struts when closed than the door skins so the open door height is the same. It doesn’t limit the ability to fly with the doors open.

Av8r3400
01-10-2018, 10:56 AM
They provide a bunch or elbow room even if you don't put your elbow on the cross bar (which is too high for me anyway).

I have no problem with opening angle even with the bubbles. You need to duck under the frame anyway.

I've rum mine open up to about 100 mph with out issue. They can still be removed if you want for open air flight, but watch out for the turtle-deck getting damaged.

Delta Whisky
01-10-2018, 06:47 PM
Thanks gents - your prompt responses are appreciated.

Darrel

av8rps
01-10-2018, 07:23 PM
I have bubble doors on my Model IV Kitfox, and like the others here absolutely love them. They not only offer more cabin width, which makes the Model IV much more comfortable for two people, but also offer really great visibility. My Kitfox is a floatplane, so it is really handy to be able to see straight down when you need to. Every passenger that has flown with me has complimented the great visibility of the clear glass bubble doors.

I took the center bars out of my doors by sawing them off and throwing away. I would definitely do that again as the Kitfoxes I've been in with bubble doors but have the bars still there have a "feel" of being much less wide, and somewhat reduced visibility. The bubble doors without the bars really make the cabin feel huge and offer unsurpassed visibility.

The bubble doors do require the short wing tank fuel drain so when the door is open it doesn't hit the drain and damage the glass, or cause the drain to open and spill fuel all over.

It is also advisable to install new door struts as the door is heavier than the standard door so it needs a bit more strength to keep the door up.

The only downside of the bubble doors is a slight weight increase. But in my opinion it is still worth it for all the gains.