PDA

View Full Version : Any flying Kitfoxes in TN, GA, AL?

Mikeee
01-04-2018, 11:34 AM
I just bought back a nearly completed Kitfox from a friend that I sold it to over 10 years ago. I'm hoping to get an encouraging word from pilots flying their completed projects. I also know of an interesting place to fly to where hang gliders are towed up by Dragon Fly experimental planes with 914 turbos.

DesertFox4
01-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Congrats Mikeee. That airplane needs to be finished and flown. Hope you're airborne soon. You'll love being a Kitfox owner/pilot. :)

Mikeee
01-04-2018, 07:24 PM
Thanks Desertfox4. I appreciate your encouragement. Since you seem to be experienced, I have a question for you. The gas caps were off the wing tanks and there was a mud dabbers mud pack inside the tank so i have been trying to figure out a plan for how to clean the tanks. Any ideas on how to do it and what to use? They are standard Kitfox wing tanks and I haven't yet determined if Kit fox used fiberglass or just what to make the tanks. It's a Kitfox 3. Since the plane was stored for over 10 years, I am replacing all the fuel line, the fuel pump and anything else I see along the way that looks like it could be a problem.

If anyone else has useful info for me, jump in.

Esser
01-04-2018, 07:38 PM
If the wings aren’t covered yet, I recommend replacing the tanks with new tanks from kitfox that are ethanol resistant. Many people have had issues with the old tanks.

Mikeee
01-05-2018, 04:32 AM
Thanks Josh for that info. The wings are covered, but I won't hesitate to cut back the stitz and replace the tanks if that turns out to be my only option. I'd like to figure out what kind of chemical to use for cleaner and give it a try before cutting back the Stitz. I'll need to find out what material the tanks are made out of to figure out what chemical cleaner to use. I guess I'll call the factory for that.

efwd
01-05-2018, 09:17 AM
It's mud. Why would it not be sufficient to fill the tank with water for a bit?
Eddie

Mikeee
01-05-2018, 10:46 AM
You know, Eddie, maybe the answer is that simple. Usually I'm trying to get water out of a gas tank not in. I think I'm going to try water unless a better idea comes up. Thanks alot.

Esser
01-05-2018, 12:56 PM
You can rinse the water out with alcohol such as methyl hydrate as it ussually absorbs water.

Mikeee
01-05-2018, 05:21 PM
Excellent idea, Josh. The factory suggested MEK, but told me if my tank was aluminum and had been "creamed", the MEK would remove some of the cream process so I would have to remove it all. Big job, no thanks. I like the alchohol idea after water. I'll look at it thru a scope too. Then I'll avoid gas with ethanol so my tanks might last a while. Maybe I won't have to remove these tanks.

This project is looking easier with all the good suggestions I am getting.
Thanks guys!!!

Mikeee
01-07-2018, 04:11 PM
So are there any flying Kitfox tail dragers in TN,AL or GA that can give me a ride. I'll cover your costs whatever they are and then some. I just want to see what it's like to land in one. I don't have to fly it, a ride is good enough. I can get a tail drager sign off elsewhere, however if there is a CFI who can do the tail drager sign off in a Kitfox that's even better. Flying up to Idaho to go to their stick and rudder school is a stretch financially.

N981MS
01-08-2018, 03:11 PM
I am in Dublin, GA. KDBN. PM me and I can give you a ride. Series 6 with an IO-240 and almost brand new bush tires.

Mikeee
01-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Wow! Thanks alot for the offer of a ride. I am brand new to this site, so all I have to do is figure out how to PM you. I will be very generou$ for your efforts.

Blue Sky
02-09-2018, 04:00 PM
I am in Dublin, GA. KDBN. PM me and I can give you a ride. Series 6 with an IO-240 and almost brand new bush tires.

Maxwell
I am new to the forum and am considering a Kitfox as my next airplane but I have never seen one up close. I will be passing by Macon in about a week plus or minus a day or two and wondered if I could take a look at your airplane?
I'm 6'-3" and wondered if there was enough legroom, etc. I live in Illinois and would be glad to give you my tele # if we could work it out.
Thanks much
Mike ORourke

N981MS
02-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Mike I sent you an email. Hope we can work something out.

Mikeee
02-11-2018, 02:13 PM
Maxwell, you are very generous in helping Kitfox newbies get going. I appreciated your offer to take me for a ride in your S6, fortunately for me I just joined a local EAA club and one of the members used to have a Kitfox 4. He offered to show me how to land the Kitfox 3 that I have when it is ready to go. So, I am going to relieve you of the task of taking me for a ride since I already have that covered locally.
Once again, you are very generously offering this other Mike who is 6'3" your time and trouble to show him your plane. I hope I can live up to the standard you are setting in helping out the Kitfox newbies after my plane is finished and flying.
Mike Smith.

Agfoxflyer
02-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Before I flew my 5 the first time I spent a couple of hours with Maxwell at the Macon airport doing take offs and landings. I guess I didn't do too much damage as his airplane is still flying!! Great Guy.