PDA

View Full Version : Weather Website

jiott
12-27-2017, 05:29 PM
I would like to recommend a flight planning weather website that I consider to be the best of them all. It was originally recommended to me by Scott (Airfox) and I have been using it ever since.
I often suggest it to other pilots and am surprised at how many of them are unaware of it. Maybe most of you already use it, but if not, you should give it a try.

This one website has a ton of info and it takes a little effort to learn how to navigate it, but is well worth the effort IMO. It has wind and gusts from surface to any altitude; clouds, cloud base and tops; temp/dew point at any altitude; visibility; icing altitudes; rain/snow; pressures; animated radar; airport Metars; all of this from present time out to 9 days forecast. This for the whole US and it looks to me like it includes the whole world wherever there are weather reporting stations. I used to click thru 3 or 4 websites to gather all this info. Scott and I have found it to be quite accurate. I'm sure it uses its source data from the National Weather Services, the same place all other websites get their data; but it puts it all in one place.

Esser
12-27-2017, 05:37 PM
...you’re keeping me in suspense, what’s the website.

Frontier Fox
12-27-2017, 05:59 PM
I’m all ears...

JoeG

Norm
12-27-2017, 07:21 PM
The one I use the most is Windy.com
I don't like to fly in a lot of gusty conditions

jiott
12-27-2017, 07:29 PM
Sorry, for my dumb omission. Yes, its Windy.com but it has way more than just wind.

rosslr
12-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Yes, indeed it is worldwide - use it often here in OZ - And have a look at the CAPE Index on windyty also - great for thunderstorm acivity. Used it recently to pick a yacht course from Singapore to Bali - very accurate.

r

WWhunter
12-28-2017, 09:09 AM
I also use usairnet.com for local flying as it gives me a graph type format that is easy to interpret. Here is a current view from the nearest airport in my area.

www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KPKD&state=MN

jiott
12-28-2017, 11:45 AM
I agree, usairnet.com is also a great one to give a good overall picture on one page. Usairnet.com and windy.com are the two sites I use almost exclusively.

Dave S
12-28-2017, 12:29 PM
I did not know about windy.com - great information

One I find myself using on my desktop on occasion is Skyvector

https://skyvector.com/

A person can hover over any reporting station to get the TAF or SA; expands/contracts map with the mouse wheel, if a person looks at "Layers" you can overlay the radar weather; fuel prices, TFRs, "drotams" (Drone Notams) and a lot of other stuff from the same screen. The background I use is the VFR sectional map but you can get lo enroute, enroute,world map etc also. So you get current weather chart data all on one screen plus some FBO info.

Only weak spot for my use is forecasts beyond the TAFs

TY2068
12-28-2017, 02:46 PM
I have to agree. I use this site often.

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi

jiott
12-28-2017, 04:04 PM
One of the really great things about Windy.com is that you can click your cursor on any spot in the country and it will interpolate the data from the nearest weather stations and give you the information for that spot. It may be in the boonies hundreds of miles from an airport or official station.

Flybyjim
12-28-2017, 08:11 PM
Windy is another one to add to our phones, I also use weather bug, the more info the better.

Av8r3400
12-28-2017, 08:38 PM
Another that I use on my iPhone is "AeroWeather". It gives your selected FAA reporting station (airports) information in coded and de-coded (translated to English) versions of the current and TAFs and what ever else is available from the airports.

mbuto
12-28-2017, 10:46 PM
I find http://spotwx.com very useful and accurate.

LSaupe
12-29-2017, 05:57 AM
I also rely a lot on the SkewT plots from your local balloon (2x daily at 0000Z and 1200Z). Great for thermal prediction (stability), cloud tops, shear layers, freezing levels etc.

https://twister.asc.ohio-state.edu/upper/skew-t/KALB

In additional to USAIRNET I also often use www.wunderground.com for local condition and nearest metar.

WX prediction tools sure have gotten a ton better in the last 10-15 years.