PDA

View Full Version : Maybe someone isn't on "The Map"

Delta Whisky
12-17-2017, 09:59 PM
Good evening folks - I just placed my order for a 7SS and am looking forward to starting the building process. It will be a while before before the factory starts on it though and between now and then it would be nice to be able to take a really close look at a fairly recent build and get opinions on 2 or 3 options I'm considering.

So - I checked the map in hopes of finding hundreds of builders close to me but that didn't work out so well. Just in case there is someone near by (I'm about 50 miles west of Washington, DC) that isn't on the map I thought I'd post this.

Anyone???

Looking forward to getting to know many of you as I bombard this forum with builder's questions - thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Darrel

efwd
12-17-2017, 10:31 PM
Welcome Aboard Darrel. You'll find a lot of help here.
Eddie

DesertFox4
12-18-2017, 09:03 AM
Congrat. Darrel. You will enjoy the build process which leads to owning and flying an incredible aircraft. It will be a life changing journey. All positive.
Glad you found us too. Welcome aboard.

Esser
12-18-2017, 11:44 AM
What options are a maybe for you? I’m no where close to you but maybe we can add our .02

Flybyjim
12-18-2017, 07:15 PM
Hello,

I am north of DC in Marysville, Pa. I would guess 1.5 hours or so north of you. I am building an SS7 with wings ready to cover, working on the fuselage at this time.

Delta Whisky
12-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Esser - right now I'm wondering about the heater, bubble doors and light weight brake pedals.

Heater - how well does it work (and, I normally don't fly in REALLY cold weather) and how does it work (coolant from the cooling system or muff on the exhaust or ??) Weight?

Bubble doors - do they significantly add to down visibility? Easily scratched and spoil the good looks after a few years? Strength, weight????

Brake pedals - is there something in addition to the weight savings that should go into the decision?

Thanks, Darrel

Delta Whisky
12-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Flybyjim - PM sent.

jiott
12-18-2017, 09:32 PM
Dew,
The heater works using engine coolant thru a heater core, just like your car, with two fans blowing down toward your feet. No fans ON=little or no heat, one fan=moderate heat, both fans=really good heat. No danger from CO. Weight maybe 5-6 lbs.
Bubble doors definitely do allow more straight down vision. They are plexiglass so they don't scratch as easily as Lexan, but you do need to be careful. Weight about same as any other door system, maybe a little more. They look real cool too.
Optional brake pedals save very little weight; the cool look is main advantage. You can get the same look and non-slip with self adhesive non-slip material.

I'm sure there are other opinions.

DesertFox4
12-18-2017, 09:35 PM
Darrel, the heater from Kitfox Aircraft does indeed use the coolant for safe heat like our automobiles do.

Bubble doors are great for more shoulder room and do make downward viewing easier. More for pilot and passenger comfort I would say. They are as durable as the standard doors. Nice option. You can get them tinted as well.

The light weight pedals are lighter but also the way they lighten them gives more traction for your feet. An added bonus. I have these pedals.

Esser
12-19-2017, 09:26 AM
I didn’t get the heat cause I wasn’t sure what engine I was getting. Now I’m ordering the heater.

The dimple died pedals weren’t an option but I might have gotten it as it’s more grip on your feet. It probably only saves a few ounces.

I have the bubble doors. They are super nice. I mostly got them so I had an arm rest for long flights. This is also something that could be added later very easily.

jiott
12-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Regarding bubble doors and windscreens, someone mentioned tinting is an option. I would highly recommend the tinting option on both the doors and the windscreen. It is a very light tint and doesn't interfere with good vision on dark cloudy days or twilight landings, but is a definite help on bright sunny days to reduce glare and heat. I know it costs a little extra but in my opinion is worth it.

Delta Whisky
12-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks to all for taking the time to comment and share your opinions. Don't let this note of thanks stop anyone from piling on though.

bholland
12-20-2017, 07:53 PM
I ordered my kit before I realized they sold the Puka pedals so I used an electricians hydraulic knock out set to make the holes in my pedals. I weighed before and after and it saved about 2.5oz a pedal. I currently fly an Aerotrek A240 with clear windows and I would have to agree that the glare and heat can be bad at times. If I had the chance to order again I would use the tinted on all windows and bubble doors.

Brett

http://www.mykitlog.com/bholland/

Delta Whisky
12-20-2017, 08:46 PM
Brett - interestingly, one of the three planes under consideration, besides the Kitfox, was a A220. I have a little time in the A220 and really enjoyed it. Thanks for your input.