PDA

View Full Version : Greetings All

Jetpilot350
11-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Greetings all, new to the forum and just starting to explore the Kitfox world. I am a professional pilot who began his career flying Beavers and Otters on floats 30yrs ago or so. I am flying jets now for a Regional Airline here in Canada and I am looking to get my first airplane. I live about 3hrs north of Toronto on a lake. Since I started out with floats, yes my aiplane must have floats. I have looked at many certified aircraft but everything is way out of my price range. I am thinking a Kitfox IV on straight floats or maybe even amphibious is the way to go. I have seen some beautiful Kitfox 7's on floats but again, out of this Guys price range. I need something that the wife and I can climb in with an overnight kit and go visits friends and family about 200nm away. Anyways here I am. Looking to share info and meet some new people here. Cheers

efwd
11-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Welcome Aboard JetPilot. You will enjoy lots of resources here Im sure.
Eddie

Av8r3400
11-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Welcome. There's a couple real knowledgeable float flyers here.

I'm sure they (Av8rPS) will pipe in soon... :p

Esser
11-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Welcome. I’m originally from Ontario and if I still lived there, my bird would have floats.

Jetpilot350
11-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Can you guys suggest any sources for purchasing a completed flying kitfox. I have been using Barnstormers primarily and performing google searches but seem to come across the same few aircraft every time. Do you know of any other Kitfox forms that might have more aircraft for sale?
Thanks

efwd
11-21-2017, 06:32 AM
It's just that these airplanes are just so cool we don't sell them often. Of course I am not even finished with mine but I understand why you aren't finding more Kitfox's. Wish I could offer up something to help you out. Build?
Eddie

Av8r3400
11-21-2017, 06:37 AM
This is the primary KITFOX forum on the net.

There are a couple others that have some Kitfox content mixed with Avid, Highlander and other family members. But, when looking for a flying plane this forum and Barnstormers are your best resources on the net. You can try contacting the Kitfox factory They may have some insight on a few planes, not actively on the open market, which may be available.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) Kitfoxes are a very sought after airplane design. Good ones don't last on the open market for very long. You need to know what you want and if you see one, jump on it. If you don't someone else will...

Esser
11-21-2017, 07:54 AM
You have to just keep looking. Took my friend almost two years to find the one he wanted. It seem like more pop up for sale in the spring...

Danzer1
11-21-2017, 11:18 AM
Can you guys suggest any sources for purchasing a completed flying kitfox. I have been using Barnstormers primarily and performing google searches but seem to come across the same few aircraft every time. Do you know of any other Kitfox forms that might have more aircraft for sale?
Thanks

Jason,

There is a pretty nice Vixen on Trade-a-plane right now:https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=KITFOX&model=VIXEN&listing_id=2288698&s-type=aircraft

Good luck with your search,
Greg

Bud Davidson
11-21-2017, 11:38 AM
I know a IV 1200 powered by 80 HP 912 that will be for sale late next year when the 40 hrs are flown off. Should have close to 200 hrs on the engine then. Basic steam gauge panel w/ comm and transponder. Intended as a basic taildragger trainer in the sport category. Trouble is it's not finished yet and in my shop. Probably my last project.

av8rps
11-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Welcome JetPilot,

You've come to the right place. A Kitfox makes for a great float plane. The model you choose is going to be dependent on your budget, as well as the physical size of the people wanting to fly in it.

I have a Model 4-1200 Kitfox on Aerocet 1100 amphib floats with a Rotax 912ul (80 hp) that I absolutely love. I use an IVO inflight adjustable propeller that helps me to get on the step quicker, but even with only 80 hp and a fixed pitch prop it would be a good floatplane. If you could use straight floats rather than the amphibs the performance would be considerably better as the weight would be down probably another 50-80 lbs. If you were to upgrade to a Rotax 912 of 100 hp or more (like a 108 or 114 hp zipper kit or a 100 hp 912uls) your Supercub floatplane pals will learn to hate you as you will greatly outperform them, on about 1/2 the fuel, and probably 1/3 the acquisition cost.

A newer model 5-7 Kitfox also will make for a great floatplane. It's larger cabin and baggage area is nice, as is the higher gross weight when you want to haul more. But acquisition price will likely be higher than for a typical Model 4. And so will float cost, as you will need a much larger float. So you really need to decide what is most important for your needs.

Generally the Model 4 makes for a sportier, almost hotrod-like floatplane, but the newer Kitfox as a floatplane is no slouch. It would still be a better performer than most other floatplanes. Comparing the newer Kitfox to the older Model 4? I would say a newer model Kitfox with a 100 hp or more 912 would be pretty comparable performance wise with the 80 hp 912 Model 4. But because the Model 4 can be as much as 200 lbs lighter than the newer models, the wing loading is much lighter and the horsepower per pound is pretty hard to beat. So that's why it's the hotrod of the models. The downside of the Model 4 would be a slightly smaller cabin size and lower weight carrying capacity. But I've never had an issue with either of those things with my Model 4. It handles all of that well as long as you're not hauling around huge people with a lot of gear.

Hopefully that will give you enough to think about for a while. If you want to know more about a Kitfox 4 floatplane, search for my Kitfox of the month write up done a few years ago here on the forum. Or check out some of "the sunnair" youtube videos out there like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzrVBVwqbHU

Oh, and maybe you want to buy the floats first? There is a fantastic deal on a brand new set of Aerocet 1100 amphibs for only $7900 on Barnstormers right now. And they even come with Kitfox 4 rigging :cool: Deals like that are never out there when you need them...

Paul Seehafer

WWhunter
11-21-2017, 08:18 PM
You have been given some great advice and guidance on what to read for further information.
I'm going to just reiterate on the fact that was mentioned about jumping on a plane quickly. If it is a fair price it will not be for sale very long. A decent Kitfox gets sold quickly if the price is right.

Bud Davidson
11-21-2017, 10:03 PM
I do suspect a Kitfox would be great on floats. Would expect performance even better than a Cub. The floats mentioned by Paul (av8rps) would be a steal at that price for amphibs. Half the cost of a kit which I had a thousand hours in construction. My experience with amphibs revealed they were very expensive for maintenance...I was warned but as usual went ahead anyway. The wheel bearings... Replaced twice the first year and annually after I started using HF grease I got from Wipaire in St Paul. Of course I was on the water constantly. Straight floats would be way less mtce. If you have never flown in and out of lakes your in for one of flyings greatest experiences. In over 55 years of flying single engine small planes my few years on floats were the best.

dholly
11-22-2017, 07:13 AM
TheSunnAir videos are awesome! Kitfox floatplane flying in spectacular Norway fjords with some truly incredible topography and scenery, lots of glassy water splash n' go's to get your juices flowing. Thanks Paul, just the mental pick-me-up I needed looking out the window this morning at our first snowfall!

av8rps
11-23-2017, 07:55 AM
Glad you enjoyed it Doug. I have ice on the lake now, so I too spend time occasionally watching youtube water flying videos to keep myself energized.

Hey, while I have you here, did you see these float install pics of a Eurofox /Aerotrek on a set of CZ floats? If not I thought you might appreciate them. Hopefully this will give you even more of a mental pick up :)

And if that's not enough, there are more pics here: http://www.floats.cz/jAlbum/Aerotrek%20A-220/album/index.html#

(to everyone that doesn't get why I'm showing a Eurofox on floats here on the Kitfox forum, Doug has one he plans to put on floats...)

efwd
11-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Man, those floats are as big as the airframe. Bet they cost as much as well.
Eddie

jiott
11-23-2017, 11:43 AM
Actually those floats (Czech) are cheaper than the Zenair (US) floats they copied, I believe.

efwd
11-23-2017, 01:12 PM
well, they look sweet I must say.

av8rps
11-24-2017, 02:42 AM
Those floats would be a GREAT combination with that airplane, or a Model 4 Kitfox. In my opinion they are one of the best floats built for aircraft in the LSA class.

Jetpilot350
11-26-2017, 09:42 AM
av8rps - thanks for the info.

The more I learn here about the kitfox the more educated purchase I will be able to make. The big thing will be cost and will I really be able to get the aircraft I want on my budget. I have only been looking for a short time and my expectations of what I will be able to afford are slowly coming into view. Reality is setting in... UGH 😑

There is a really nice looking Kitfox IV 1050 on Barnstormers with a ROTAX 582, rebuilt engine by "LEAF". I am wondering if this would be a good place to start. Put it on straight floats and an upgrade to a 912 in a couple of years?

Any thoughts?

Jay

Jetpilot350
11-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Danzer1

Thanks for the info, I took a look at the Vixen, looks like a beautiful machine but out of my price range.

Cheers
Jay

Mcslamma
11-26-2017, 04:40 PM
You will have loads of fun with a IV on floats, mine was an Amphib at one time, Builder who I bought from had converted to Straight floats, and gained 80 lbs of usefull load. I live on the East side of Georgian Bay and every flight is a scenic one, 746lbs empty on straight aluminum floats, Pic is at Beckwith Isl, Georgian Bay. Hope to see you there some time, Wiarton is not that far as the Crow, or the Kitfox Flies..