PDA

View Full Version : My rudder pedal reinforcement

beeryboats
11-05-2017, 03:26 PM
My best friend at work took my pedals and templets to the best welder in Indiana. Here’s what I have as the final product. Sorry it’s so hard to see being black on black.

Norm
11-06-2017, 05:53 AM
My best friend at work took my pedals and templets to the best welder in Indiana. Here’s what I have as the final product. Sorry it’s so hard to see being black on black.

I don't see any reinforcement on the cable pull arms. Also a place known to fail. Could be as you say "hard to see being black" or could be my old eyes.

beeryboats
11-06-2017, 06:20 PM
The person who did the welding told me that it would actually weaken that area, so he declined to weld in that area. I have seen one photo of a failure there, but I defer to the expert on this one. I was thinking about a safety cable around the vertical rudder pedal post and back to the cable end.

avidflyer
11-06-2017, 09:22 PM
How many Kitfoxes has your expert owned? My Kitfox 1 rudder pedals were tearing loose in the place in question. Many others have also. I give up!

GWright6970
11-06-2017, 09:56 PM
I went with the factory solution from John and Debra. Not shown are round tubes that you cut and slide inside the existing long horizontal tubes that the pedals are attached to. The last photo shows these inserts, and their location. The rivet holes pass through the existing tube, and the new inserts, for added strength. Long rivets are then installed along with structural adhesive.

beeryboats
11-07-2017, 07:14 PM
I went with the factory solution from John and Debra. Not shown are round tubes that you cut and slide inside the existing long horizontal tubes that the pedals are attached to. The last photo shows these inserts, and their location. The rivet holes pass through the existing tube, and the new inserts, for added strength. Long rivets are then installed along with structural adhesive.

A different setup than what I have. Thanks for the photos.