PDA

View Full Version : Removeable Wingtips

bumsteer
09-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Hi all. Been a member for a while but my first post. For those with removeable wingtips, what type of nuplate did you use and what spacing was used? Also, anyone know why the alumninum attach strips are attached after covering? I only ask since the strips are epoxied/riveted in place they will be there when the wing is recovered. Thanks.

Rick

Mark
09-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi Rick,
Here's a couple of ways to attach the wingtip. The manual calls for a MS21047L08 nutplate (#8-32) which is attached with solid flush rivets evenly spaced about every 4". Another method (if the strips aren't already drilled) is to use #6 self tapping sheetmetal screws about the same distance.

If you cover the wing and then rivet the brakets in place, the rivets help hold the fabric as would rib stitching. Also, the fabric tape will cover the rivetheads for a clean look.

bumsteer
09-16-2009, 05:15 AM
Thanks Mark. I'm working on a Model V and the manual mentions nutplates but with no specifics.

Rick

Jerrytex
12-16-2020, 02:47 PM
I know it's an old thread but I am about to be at this point and I am contemplating this.

Do most builders just rivet the aluminum flat stock on and not glue it? It makes sense that the fabric is sandwhiched between the underside of the capstrip and the aluminum flat stock, but....it seems like gluing, in addition to riviting, would just be gluing it to the fabric?

Jerrytex
12-16-2020, 08:23 PM
Part 2 of this....The part number sticker came off the Aluminum flat stock that I have. I have 4 taped together that I think are the right pieces but not sure. I also have 7 pieces of flat stock that are a little wider but I think they are for the door frame. Can someone measure the width of the flat aluminum stock used to used to attach the wingtips? Part #22913.

Thanks.

Delta Whisky
12-16-2020, 10:33 PM
Rick - I did mine in a manner similar to what Mark presented. The only difference: I bought small flush head pull rivets to attach the metal strips and added a second layer of tape over them that isn't shown in the pictures. I didn't use any epoxy thinking that if the metal has to come off some day and the fabric didn't - I'd just drill out the aluminum rivets. Also, I deviated a bit from the plans by using #6 screws.

I don't remember what type of screw the plans called for - I just like the "old fashioned" look of button heads.

bumsteer
12-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Jerrytex

#22913 is 1" wide. The original part from my 1998 series 5 was .8".

Rick

Jerrytex
12-17-2020, 07:35 AM
Thanks Rick.

I guess they changed to the wider ones in the recent years.