PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an easy to use comm handheld radio

beeryboats
10-19-2017, 06:13 PM
Hi Guys,
Believe it or not I own a Narco HT830 handheld made in the 1980's that was going to be my primary comm radio in my Piper Vagabond. The Vag was sold but the radio lives one. The second battery is long dead and works on AC power only. I'm looking for a super easy to use comm only hand held as a back up radio and home field base radio. I don't want something I need to read the manual every time I need to change the freq. I know icom makes a good radio, but sounds like they are complicated to use. Does anyone use a Yaesu? Or are there any other options?
thx
jay

Av8r_Sed
10-19-2017, 06:54 PM
I have a Vertex Standard VXA-710. Do not buy one of these if you want something easy to use. I'm very technical, but I cannot figure out the operating logic for the life of me. It doesn't make a very good occasional use backup.

jrevens
10-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Jay,

The Sporty's SP-400 is one of the easiest to use, if not the easiest. It's a good unit and very intuitive. It is a full Nav/Comm with VOR, localizer and glideslope. The display is large and very readable, and it has nice, big, lighted keypad.

GWright6970
10-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Jay,
I agree with John... years ago I got a Sporty's SP-200 to use as a backup in my Cessna 172...which is crazy because it had two navcoms in it... anyway... the Sporty's is easy and I have never had a problem with it.

avidflyer
10-19-2017, 09:17 PM
I have a Vertex Standard Pro V 220, and I find it very easy to use. I have a 150 V S as well. Have a Sporty's SP 200 in my Kitfox 1, and it doesn't seem to have sidetone (can't hear myself in the headphones) I set the Pro V 220 up with the channels I use on memory, and it works great. Can't beat the price either. JImChuk

jiott
10-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Totally agree with John on the Sporty's SP-400. I keep the optional headset adapter plugs attached to the radio so if I need to use it I can quickly plug it into my headset.

beeryboats
10-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys! I just took a quick look at the SP-400 and it's a little on the pricey side, but looks exactly what I'm looking for. I just don't think I'll use the nav function. Who does these days with GPS? I'll drop a hint to Santa (wife) and see what she says...
Jay

beeryboats
10-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Ok, maybe I better rethink this. There seem to be a lot of negative reviews. Low power, short battery life, and just too fragile are the most common complaints. But then there are a few really good reviews too.

Clark in AZ
10-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Interesting discussion. Anyone have any experience with the new Icom A25?

Thanks,
Clark

jiott
10-22-2017, 09:25 PM
The reasons I like the Sporty's SP400 as a backup is that it functions both as a backup radio AND a backup navigator. If my Dynon Skyview screen ever goes dark my SP400 VOR function is my navigation backup. So I don't need another GPS backup, saving weight and clutter in the cockpit. I also don't worry about battery life because I have the 12v adapter that allows me to plug my SP400 into my ship's 12v "cigarette" lighter.

efwd
10-23-2017, 05:50 AM
Jim, any contingency for losing all power to the aircraft, may be the reason the Dynon failed? Compass, Map? I just pose the question since you have provided a scenario that I have been contemplating recently as I wire this thing and think of a backup radio. If one has no map available I suppose your phone is a good resource for at least outdated maps. In fact my iPhone has a compass also but I don't know how accurate it will be inside the airframe. It also has a nifty bubble level that I wonder how helpful it could be to orient the attitude of an airplane? Back on subject. I was hoping to see the new iCON A25 at the AS customer appreciation day event where the iCON vendor was showing a bunch of their stuff but would you believe they didnt have the newest product. I have owned iCON stuff in the past and liked it.
Eddie

Norm
10-23-2017, 07:17 AM
First off I have to ask what is easy to use. This is different for different people. The older radios were defiantly the easiest to use. Less features not so many buttons to push. That said lets face it everything is getting a little more complex with fancy glass panels, ipads or android tablets used for engine monitoring, navigation etc. I think the consideration you have to check is what will give you the best communication system in your cockpit and work with a headset or intercom you choose. I remember fighting with an A24 Icom, putting chokes on lines and trying every trick in my bag to try and get it to work. After some online checking I noted many having problems with the A24 due to the battery being less than 12 volts and not having sufficient power to work the electric microphone of most headsets. I just checked the specs on the new A25
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/handheld/a25/specifications.aspx
and it appears that once again Icom is using a 7.2 volt battery. I would not take a chance on this new radio til someone proves it works with a headset.
Lot of rambling without any conclusion so I would try to find an older used radio such as the icom A22 (still a great radio with external power plugs available) or look at Vertex.

Danzer1
10-23-2017, 09:54 AM
First off I have to ask what is easy to use. This is different for different people. The older radios were defiantly the easiest to use. Less features not so many buttons to push. That said lets face it everything is getting a little more complex with fancy glass panels, ipads or android tablets used for engine monitoring, navigation etc. I think the consideration you have to check is what will give you the best communication system in your cockpit and work with a headset or intercom you choose. I remember fighting with an A24 Icom, putting chokes on lines and trying every trick in my bag to try and get it to work. After some online checking I noted many having problems with the A24 due to the battery being less than 12 volts and not having sufficient power to work the electric microphone of most headsets. I just checked the specs on the new A25
http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/avionics/handheld/a25/specifications.aspx
and it appears that once again Icom is using a 7.2 volt battery. I would not take a chance on this new radio til someone proves it works with a headset.
Lot of rambling without any conclusion so I would try to find an older used radio such as the icom A22 (still a great radio with external power plugs available) or look at Vertex.

Hi Norm,

I am aware of Icom problems with compatibility with different headsets. Much due to microphone impedence mismatch between the radio design and different headset designs. Do not know it this was resoved with newer units.

Also aware of the requirment to plug in an external PTT (not available from Icom) into the Icom headset adapter to disable the internal Icom mic (not clear in their manual either). This "fix" prevents interference between the headset mic and the radio mic.

None of the the problems I know of are caused by the 7.2 v battery size. Possible the headset resistor circuitry and the Icom resistor circuitry don't "agree" with each other. But I doubt the battery is the cause. Many other radio's work fine with 7.4 v - the difference is insignificant - it's in the circuitry of the radio and/or headset compatibility.

Don't know if this has been resolved either in newer units - but I'd let a few others be the test cases! Especially when the new a25 is over $400!

I wish BaoFeng would make an aviation handheld - their extremely cheap stuff works pretty well for general amateur radio use!

YMMV, Greg

jiott
10-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Good points Eddie, but just to clarify my backup situation, my Sporty's SP400 always has a good set of batteries in it so if my ships power goes down I can use the radio and VOR nav from the battery power. The 12v adapter I spoke of is a backup to the batteries (a double backup). In addition my panel includes an old fashioned whiskey compass, and I do always carry paper charts, outdated probably, ready at hand.

jiott
10-23-2017, 10:39 AM
One more thing before I shut up, any handheld radio can be much improved, range wise, by connecting it to your external ships antenna. I am thinking about doing this by installing a simple parallel antenna jack on my panel and then making a patch cord that can quickly be attached to my SP400 and the panel jack.

beeryboats
10-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Once again I've seem to stir the pot a bit. But it's turned into a good read. I have an Icom in the Kitfox that is as simple as it gets. It has flip flop and a tuning knob. I like that! I wouldn't even begin to trust my iphone for navigation. But I also know an ipad in the sun is almost impossible to see. So that screen on the SP400 may be a good deal.

The perfect radio controls for me would be a switch from nav to comm and then just push in the freq then enter. Is the SP400 about that easy?

jiott
10-23-2017, 07:51 PM
To enter a freq in the SP400 you just punch in the 6 digits on the keypad and that's it. The freq can be a comm, VOR, LOC, or ILS. If you select a nav freq there are other buttons to push to use it properly, such as selecting the radial you want to use, TO or FROM, etc. Its very much the same as using a panel mounted nav radio; Takes some manipulation. Obviously you need to know the basics of VOR navigation. To get out of the nav mode and into the comm mode, you simply punch in a comm freq and then listen or transmit. It also has a standby freq so you can flip-flop between two freq. Hope this helps.

beeryboats
10-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Love it! Let's see what Santa brings...
jay

avidflyer
10-25-2017, 07:14 AM
I just saw this add on barnstormers. Looks like a good price. I found it for $214 on the web. JImChuk
ICOM AVIATION PORTABLE NEW • $179 • AVAILABLE FOR SALE • NEW IN BOX Icom A14 Aviation Portable w/ALL Assys....I have several of these...Please Email or Text • Contact Ralphee Addington - ARCOM RADIO COMMUNICATIONS, End User - located Orlando, FL USA • Telephone: 321-234-5327 . • Posted October 25, 2017 •

beeryboats
12-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Santa did good this year. Brought me a Yaesu FTA-550. Great little radio. I'm just playing with it right out of the box and it's very easy to use. I've already got it scanning, looking for local flyers. Not much happening tonight, it's almost 0 degrees outside!

Flybyjim
12-26-2017, 07:00 PM
While you are talking about radios where did you folks mount your headset jacks? I see some installed on the panel but I see that as a concern with the cords getting in the way at times?

I am looking for any photos of mounts where ever they may be.

Thanks

Esser
12-26-2017, 07:08 PM
While you are talking about radios where did you folks mount your headset jacks? I see some installed on the panel but I see that as a concern with the cords getting in the way at times?

I am looking for any photos of mounts where ever they may be.

Thanks

I wanted mine over the shoulder but when they ordered my prewired com harness I forgot to get an extra 7’. So now mine are on the panel. You could put them in the centre console easily too

efwd
12-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Here is mine Jim

DesertFox4
12-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Lately we have been locating the headphone jacks in the center console.
This keeps the cords out of the controls. My model 4 had both of them located behind the passenger’s seat for easy access for the pilot during flight.

rosslr
12-27-2017, 02:23 PM
I wired the traditional two plugs in to the panel in case I needed them but piggy backed the wiring up to a plug on a plate near the roof for the Lightspeed Zulu's. This plug provides 12v power also so there is no need for batteries for the noise cancelling function. I love the chords being behind me and would never go back to chords around my legs.

cheers

r

jiott
12-27-2017, 02:59 PM
I like the idea of the plugs being in the console or behind me, and that's what I would do if doing it over again. However, when I built, I put them in the traditional place on the far left of the panel (and far right for the passenger). Using this location I have come up with a way to keep the cords out of the way: The plug cords drop straight down to the floor where I put a small Velcro strap to hold the Zulu controller, then the cord to the headphones is tucked under the front edge of the seat cushion (where there is little to no pressure on it from my legs) over to the center console area where it then neatly comes up to my headset. This keeps loose cords and controller out of my lap, is easily plugged in and out because I always take my headset home, and allows getting in an out of the cabin with very little effort to avoid the cords.

Peter_SE
12-29-2017, 09:20 AM
I´m also looking for a radio, the Sporty looks like a great one!, will buy it 4sure

Thanks!