PDA

View Full Version : Who should I call about a drone in my airspace?

beeryboats
10-09-2017, 04:26 PM
I walked outside yesterday to hear a strange buzzing sound. I finally spotted the drone buzzing down the edge of my airstrip. It quickly disappeared but I don't want this be become an issue at a later date when I start flying. Who should I call if I see this drone again? The FAA came up with the rulings on drone flying, but can they enforce them?

TJay
10-09-2017, 04:50 PM
What, that was not a clay Pigeon, whoops I'm sorry,

Av8r3400
10-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Sums it up for me...

jmodguy
10-09-2017, 05:36 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Free stuff!!

beeryboats
10-09-2017, 05:59 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! Free stuff!!

With little holes in it!

PapuaPilot
10-10-2017, 06:13 AM
Contact your local FSDO, they should have a person who is responsible for UAV issues. If you have a private airstrip it may be difficult to be able to do anything legally. Most likely the person flying it was within line of sight. If you can figure out who owns it, go talk to them and let them know you don't want them over your property and airstrip.

The whole thing with drones it ratcheing up after a military helicopter flying at 500' hit a drone and made a landing in NJ. They had to change the rotor blades.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiKu5mQkObWAhXLr1QKHfthDOEQtwIIPjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2FGMA%2Fvideo%2Fdr one-collides-black-hawk-helicopter-50041061&usg=AOvVaw3uX2EjyfOtwiW5sabpeFz1

avidflyer
10-10-2017, 06:47 AM
Maybe a softer approach is to find the person, talk to him and work things out in a friendly manner. You said in your first post, "when you start flying" so it really isn't much of a problem at this point is it? Maybe you call the FAA on him now, maybe later "when you start flying" he calls the FAA on you for some real or imagined bending of the rules. Nobody wins then. JImChuk

tx_swordguy
10-10-2017, 07:01 AM
As much as I would LOVE to shoot a drone out of the sky. I am betting you would be the one in trouble for damage to property. I think this has been done before and it didn't turn out pretty for the shooter. I am in NO WAY taking up for the drone and I am in the same boat as I fly out of my own grass strip. However outside of the fact that I am in the plane it would be no different than you flying your plane over someone's property and getting shot at. Remember the 500' rule for manned flight in rural areas. That applies horizontally with no vertical limit in sparsely populated areas. Who defines sparse is up to interpretation. Just be careful before unloading a gun. But if you do get it on video for the rest of us :)

TY2068
10-10-2017, 07:29 AM
I personally wouldn't call anyone. I'd try to find the Drone flyer FIRST and make him aware your location and flying plans. Go from there and see what happens.

I think you'd appreciate someone talking to you FIRST before calling the Sheriff, FAA and Homeland Security. Just remember the shoe may be on the other foot if someone doesn't like a low flying plane over their property.

I walked outside yesterday to hear a strange buzzing sound. I finally spotted the drone buzzing down the edge of my airstrip. It quickly disappeared but I don't want this be become an issue at a later date when I start flying. Who should I call if I see this drone again? The FAA came up with the rulings on drone flying, but can they enforce them?

jiott
10-10-2017, 09:45 AM
I agree with this approach.

dcsfoto
10-10-2017, 02:47 PM
I live in N Little Rock AR and a friends kid lost control of his drone.
He did get it back after it went over the local SAM's parking lot.

An hour later the local Police Dept showed up and took a report.

Call the local Police

David Kelm

beeryboats
10-10-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm all for the soft approach. But as my property is bordered by a long row of homes it was hard to see where it went. I'm pretty sure it was out of line of sight, unless the pilot was in the middle of the street where I couldn't see him. And as someone said, it's not an issue right now. And I know almost all my neighbors on the street. So it may have come from a neighborhood a 1/4 mile away. Who knows. What's funny is when the law first hit the books a guy that lives a couple miles away called and asked permission to fly his drone. That's class!

Paul Z
10-10-2017, 09:15 PM
Remington 12 gauge

avidflyer
10-10-2017, 10:24 PM
Well, who knows, the guy with the drone might be wishing he could fly himself. I mean, who doesn't wish he could fly....... Reach out to him, make him a friend, not an enemy. No doubt it will be to your advantage in the end. JImChuk

efwd
10-11-2017, 05:34 AM
If it is equiped with a camera maybe you could get him to video your flights. Trent has a lot of cool stuff that we all enjoy watching. Get in on the game.

TY2068
10-11-2017, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't consider it the "soft approach". A brief sighting of a Drone (which may actually be little Bobby Jr. flying his new Quadcopter) wouldn't constitute the need to call in Andy and Barney in my mind. Before you go full Nelson Mandingo and call in the Regulators gather some intelligence and formulate a plan. Watch out for it again, find out who it is and what it is. If you see it's going to be a problem then after a nice face to face take pictures and video of any further airspace infractions. Now you to have some tangible proof and evidence. Research and find out what the rules and regulations are in your state and particular area (if any local codes exist).

For those cannon cockers who would love to send up the triple A at the enemy Drone (Does sound fun huh) I'll add this. Shooting at a Drone in the eyes of the law is exactly the same as standing at the depature end of LAX sniping at 747's with your 308.

I'm all for the soft apptroach. But as my property is bordered by a long row of homes it was hard to see where it went. I'm pretty sure it was out of line of sight, unless the pilot was in the middle of the street where I couldn't see him. And as someone said, it's not an issue right now. And I know almost all my neighbors on the street. So it may have come from a neighborhood a 1/4 mile away. Who knows. What's funny is when the law first hit the books a guy that lives a couple miles away called and asked permission to fly his drone. That's class!