PDA

View Full Version : Seat pan questions

southwind32
10-01-2017, 09:49 AM

Is the slot for the center seat belts located on the back (vertical) portion of the seat pan as shown, or is it suppose to be lower on the horizontal portion?

I have a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch gap on the edges of the seat pan, how is this area closed/filled?

Thanks
Brian

efwd
10-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Hello Brian
My center hole is split between the vertical and horizontal portions if the seat. when my seat belts are attached and secured around my waist, I dont have any bunching up of the seat belt at the top or bottom of the slot. If your side slot was as high as your center slot, I suppose nothing would bunch up either but your belt may be riding higher than you would like. As for the gap on the side, there is no mention of closing that gap. Might be one of my few fiberglass projects. It would be very simple to add fiberglass there to thicken the sides 1/4 inch then throw fabric over it.. If you add the stainless steel door edge you will eat up some of that gap also. If you get it too close to the airframe I found that it hangs up on that lip and makes it difficult to lift the pan out. I may leave mine as it is.
Eddie

ken nougaret
10-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Brian, attached are a couple of pics that i hope help.

southwind32
10-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Hello Brian
My center hole is split between the vertical and horizontal portions if the seat. when my seat belts are attached and secured around my waist, I dont have any bunching up of the seat belt at the top or bottom of the slot. If your side slot was as high as your center slot, I suppose nothing would bunch up either but your belt may be riding higher than you would like. As for the gap on the side, there is no mention of closing that gap. Might be one of my few fiberglass projects. It would be very simple to add fiberglass there to thicken the sides 1/4 inch then throw fabric over it.. If you add the stainless steel door edge you will eat up some of that gap also. If you get it too close to the airframe I found that it hangs up on that lip and makes it difficult to lift the pan out. I may leave mine as it is.
Eddie

I don't see the Stainless Steel Door edges in the kitfox store...........where do you get them?
Thanks for the replies, the pics and info help a lot. Thanks again.

Brian

PapuaPilot
10-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Call the factory and ask for the door edges. They have lots of things not listed in the catalog.

efwd
10-01-2017, 03:05 PM
The factory has so much more than what is in the catalog. I think the stainless is about $75 per side. You have to miter and cut it yourself.
Eddie

Esser
10-01-2017, 03:55 PM
The factory has so much more than what is in the catalog. I think the stainless is about $75 per side. You have to miter and cut it yourself.
Eddie

$75 a side and it's not cut and mitered? Wow, I like supporting kitfox but I can do that locally for a 1/4 of the price.

ken nougaret
10-01-2017, 04:59 PM
I purchased a small piece if stainless from "online metals" and used the "brake" at work to make the door edges.

southwind32
10-01-2017, 05:19 PM
Anyone have a picture of the stainless trim installed? I'm not sure what it looks like. How does it attach?

DesertFox4
10-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Some photos of stainless door guard install. Got mine from Kitfox Aircraft.

Had to relieve for cross tubing that goes under the front of the seat pan and trim to length. Worked slow with dremel and belt/disc sander as not to overheat and discolor the stainless.
Installed them mostly to avoid paint damage from feet while entering and exiting aircraft.

Bonded in place with 3M 560 adhesive.

southwind32
10-01-2017, 09:05 PM
Thanks, those pics help. :)

jiott
10-01-2017, 10:03 PM
FWIW, I used thin, 0.012", aluminum instead of stainless and made them myself using a friend's sheet metal brake. The aluminum is holding up nicely after 4 years. Glued it on with good old Hysol.

jrevens
10-01-2017, 11:28 PM
I made my own also, out of thin s.s., and stuck 'em on with Hysol like Jim.

airlina
10-02-2017, 02:47 AM
Your local home depot aircraft supply store carries door edging material as well-although they renamed it drywall edging. Mine has been on 14 years now and has held up well. Bruce N199CL

PapuaPilot
10-02-2017, 05:42 AM
I made my own out of 0.020" aluminum using a sheet metal brake where I work. I only used a little Hysol incase they ever needed to come off or be changed. They should hold up fine for the life of the fabric.

colospace
10-02-2017, 09:42 AM
I used some thin stainless from McMaster-Carr. I think I attached it with some 3M transfer adhesive on just the top edges. John Evens bent it for me on his brake. I also ran it up the diagonal edge.

efwd
10-02-2017, 09:45 AM
I think you have posted that tip before Bruce, so I went to Home Depot and they carry nothing that accommodates the size of the airframe. What I have determined is that I will have to either buy from KF , or pay someone to fabricate it. I found material 1/8 " too narrow or too wide. ?
Eddie

airlina
10-02-2017, 03:50 PM
I think you have posted that tip before Bruce, so I went to Home Depot and they carry nothing that accommodates the size of the airframe. What I have determined is that I will have to either buy from KF , or pay someone to fabricate it. I found material 1/8 " too narrow or too wide. ?
Eddie

Hi Eddie, My airplane is a Series 5, and I would bet that the door frame square tubing is the same dimension as the current models. I will get to the hangar for some pictures tomorrow of what I used. Bruce N199CL

airlina
10-03-2017, 08:55 AM
Eddie , here are a few pictures of my Series 5 drywall J channel door trim. I measured my door perimeter square tubing and it is 1/2'' so the 1/2'' j channel fits over it perfectly with glue to hold it in place . Cheap and easy to work with and no sign of wear in 14 years of dragging my butt in and out over the top of it. Hope this helps. Bruce N199CL

Dick B in KY
10-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Steve, You still have the little wheel on the wrong end!!!!

Dick B:)

DesertFox4
10-04-2017, 05:29 PM
Dick, I mastered tail wheels decades ago.;)