PDA

View Full Version : Work Shop Size

simon says
09-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and just starting my journey on the Kit Fox. I have years and years in the aviation business and looking at retirement in the next 10 years. One of my goals before I retire is to have a plane of my own. Get back to the basics of stick and rudder, dead reckoning, and not having ATC watch my constant move. I want to fly coast to coast at 500 ft with my wife as my co-pilot. I want to fly into grass strips and meet the rural aviation community. It is time to start this project. I know this one will be 5-6 years from start to finish.

OK, first things first. I need a workshop. My wife says no to me taking over our 2 car garage, and I don't really blame her. I live on an acre with a large backyard. I am looking to build a temporary workshop in the back yard to build the Kit Fox. When I say temporary I mean one that will last 5-6 years and then I will dis-assemble.

If a temporary workshop/garage is not feesable then I suppose I have to build a permanent one. Anybody on this site actually build a shop to build their Kit Fox?

Last but not least how big should the workshop be? Smallest dimensions rather then dream dimensions. Once again, I have a wife that has veto power.

Josh

Dave S
09-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Josh,

I'd say the Kitfox is the perfect plane for you.

Can't say I built a workshop; but, does rearranging a workshop count?

I have friends who have built a kitfox in small single 1 stall garage - and another who has the best of all worlds - a spacious workshop which is big enough to have the wings open and the airplane fully assembled plus a tuck under entrance to his basement where the airplane is brought into the house - kinda like a garage within the basement - all at home.

In our case - the airplane was built in 1/2 of the two stall garage - maybe you can cut a deal with your wife for a temporary structure outside for one of the cars??? - has been done before.

In any case - it is important to have your plane on your property where you live - construction goes a lot better that way because you can do something every day - even if it is something small.

What 'cha got for weather where you live? I survived an unheated garage in Minne-snowta for the build. Heat is nice - but a person can get it done even if the shed isn't perfect.

Sincerely,

Dave S
St Paul, MN

SkyPirate
09-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi Josh ,.. if your opting on a portable building,.. you can get a 2 car,. car port for around $800.00,..you'll have to add sides and doors ,..they only come with a roof in the basic form . you can build a plywood deck first then mount the car port on top of it. I wouldn't build it on dirt,..too much moisture will not be good.
I have a 24' x 24' shop downstairs but it's too crowded with tools etc,..so I'm planning on a 30' x 30' steel building with 10 foot ceiling.
if I pour the concrete pad (estimated $2,500 for concrete) I can have a 30x30 steel building erected for around $6,000.00 labor included.
a single 10 foot garage door with personel door and sky lights.

good luck with youe endeavor and welcome to the forum

Chase

SkyPirate
09-13-2009, 10:07 AM
Dang I keep forgetting the rest of the world has rules ,..darn permits,covenences ,zoning and such ..I love Missouri ha ha :)

NO ZONING~! build anything I want without a permit,..or asking permission ,..the way the USA is suppose to be

SkyPirate
09-13-2009, 02:01 PM
some states /cities have a minimum,..allowing like a 8'x8' shed with no permits etc ,..NC is that way for the most part,..MO out of the cities ..no zoning,..been too long since I worked arounf GA to know what the particulars are outside of city limits etc. for the most part ..the less that is know the better. one can always resort to the " wutt? I didn't know that ~!" it works 90% of the time :)

Dorsal
09-13-2009, 02:23 PM
I am building in a space about the size of one garage bay which seems like enough. However I do have the ability to store the wings or the fuselage somewhere else so I can work on one at a time (I use one of those temp car shelters to "park" the fuselage when working on the wings).

jrthomas
09-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Hey Josh, Your story sounds like mine. I started building a shop with an airplane project in mind about ten years ago. I started by contacting a local truss manufacturer and explaining what I was building and asking if he had something lying around (they sometimes have trusses that were not picked up, being the wrong size or pitch) that I could use and that I was flexable as to size and pitch. The next day he called back to say he had some 27ft trusses. They worked out for a 27 X 32 shop and for $300. I formed and poured the concrete myself with my buddy helping me. I used 6x6 poles, a tin roof and T111 siding and did all the carpentry work myself with the help some of my friends. My shop is about 50 yards from my house so I had to have power and a panel and this was about all I had to pay to have done. I wired all lights and recepticles myself. I have an airconditioner and a 80,000 btu gas heater so its reasonably comfortable. I live off the main road so I didn't get a building permit but here in NC a pole barn didn't require one, at least then. It's worked out good and I don't have a lot invested. Every man needs a shop. It's my home away from home where all my toys stay and my wife knows it's off limits.Build it to last if you can. Good luck, James Thomas

Agfoxflyer
09-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Josh, I built my 5 in a single car garage in the basement. I did have a little storage area off to the side. As for the Atlanta Summers I bought a 10 x 20 temp carport made of aluminun frames and a tarp roof to do the covering and painting. I covered this with 2 layers of 6 mil poly sheeting. The shop was right below the great room so I thought it politically correct to not allow fumes upstairs. Being a commercial general contractor I was able to borrow brand new 5 ton ac unit. It would take the 95 degree outside temp to 60 in about 7-10 minutes and drop the humidity as well. As far as permits, I built a Staples Office Supply and shops in Peachtree City and the inspection department was a bear. In my town of Woodstock the chief building inspector told me when his inspectors were not inspecting they parked in the local Home Depot lot. When they saw a pick up leave with lumber they would follow and if they unloaded in the city at a home they would ask to see the permit! Since I'm down in Peachtree City often paying my dues to Aircraft Spruce be glad to help any way I can.

Agfoxflyer
09-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Josh, sounds good to me. I'll call or e-mail or call next time I'm coming down. Can't stay away from ACS very long.

David

Slyfox
09-16-2009, 12:15 PM
I did building on my kitfox and a total build on my RV in my shop in the far end stall, yes it was tight many times. I think the worse thing that happened was some overspray on a customers vehicle, arrggh. I hatted that one. It can be done with the smallest of spaces, I've seen it done. Just watch the painting:eek:.

Now you mentioned flying 500ft off(ya right) your just protecting yourself arn't you. I do like flying into the big airports, mainly because the smaller airports have an old lady mentality. Someone is constantly telling you what new rule that airport has come up with and make darn sure YOU comply with it, funny thing is, it's when you've already done it and landed already. I myself will not do the flight following or get that spot or aprs system. Why, I don't want to be followed by big daddy. And yes even with the RV I fly like that.

Have fun building and when it happens, flying your new airplane.

Slyfox
09-17-2009, 07:59 AM
I remember the first time I took my wife up in the kitfox. I told her I was going to just take her on a taxi run. Yup, right out to the runway and took off. She did like it.

Agfoxflyer
09-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Josh, my wife would ask how much something on the plane costs and I would reply "You don't want to know." She would reply " You are probably right". I kept every receipt related to the plane construction but have been afraid to add it up for fear she would come across it.

David

SkyPirate
09-18-2009, 07:18 PM
Mike,.. funny you should mention building a plane in the living room ,..I built a 1600R team aircraft in my living room before I was married in my old house ,..this house my living room is 28'x 26' by 23' high plenty of room to build a plane,.. and since I'm now married,..the wife says no way ~!! so I said ok I'm building another shop then :) she can't say no to that haha or I would build it in the living room.:D

Chase

enyaw
09-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Build her another living-room, problem solved.

SkyPirate
09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
ha ha ha she has one already ,..this house is 10,000 square feet ,..2 living rooms,..actually she calls one a day room ,..the other a family room,..but they are almost the same size.

SkyPirate
09-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I've got one shop downstairs ,..it's 24x24,..that is where my welding and sheet metal fabrication equipment is, with a 26x28 back room for storage,..I am going to build another shop away from the house either 30x30 or 30x36 ,..not sure yet,..just had the well drilled for it today,..took them 5 hours to go 235 feet and I am getting 35 gallons a minute,..so I should have plenty of water for the shop ,..I'm going to use the radiant heat system that gets barried under the concrete so needed the well for that mainly,.. I plan on putting a shower and toilet in the shop also,..maybe a loft apartment/office ,.. basically a "Man Cave" :)

Chase

Dorsal
09-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Chase,
If I ever move out that way I am going to live across the street from you:)

SkyPirate
09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
ha ha ha Dorsal :D your more then welcome ~!!
got an A&P that lives 2 doors down,.. an A&P AI that lives 5 miles down the road,..that has a service center, he works on GA and experimental at a private strip.

SkyPirate
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
,..I get the shop done your more then welcome to show up with your kitfox and sleeping bag :D
part of the problem with having allot of space ,.. one can fill it just as quick :)

Chase

Av8r3400
09-25-2009, 03:56 AM
There has never been a more true statement made... :eek:

Jim
09-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Here is a picture of what a Kitfox in a 30x36 building looks like.
Jim Series 5 0-200 21D