PDA

View Full Version : Must read article

PapuaPilot
09-22-2017, 09:58 PM
This article just came out from Kitplanes and is something we should all read, especially if you are in the process of building or thinking of building a kit plane.

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/34_11/builder_spotlight/Misplaced-Confidence_21948-1.html

jiott
09-22-2017, 10:01 PM
Can't read it because I am not a subscriber. What is the gist of it?

Too tall Harry
09-23-2017, 11:04 AM
I had the same problem. Can you give us the abstract?

efwd
09-23-2017, 02:21 PM
The gist is...
Be careful with all the internet advice. You can fall into traps where someone has done a task differently and recommends doing it that way. Then.. Many people find out that the alternate method is Wrong!. The author is a technical advisor for Sonex. He has seen many times, people take what was done on the test bed aircraft and apply it to theirs. Don't do that. The test bed is just that, a test. It may not be recommended. He states that many people lose confidence in a project as a result of reading forum posts. i.e. (in my case) I chose the injected engine for what I read about carb and the seemingly problematic balancing. Nobody posts about how they followed the instructions and everything came out great. So some builders get uncomfortable. He recommends getting technical advice and good advice doesn't always come from Tech counselors, IA's, A&P or DAR's. They often have no experience with your choice of aircraft. He didn't ever say call the factory explicitly either though. I Kept thinking about Johns advice line may be getting a little busier for the near future.
Eddie

PapuaPilot
09-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Here is the article.

jrevens
09-24-2017, 09:03 AM
A lot of good advice. Thanks, Phil!

David47
09-24-2017, 02:34 PM
Thanks Phil. A good read.