PDA

View Full Version : Buying kitfox 2 from 1991

Peter_SE
09-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, i´m from Sweden and new to the forum.

I´m pretty excited as i intend to buy a kitfox this week from the builder that completed the plane 1991.
The plane has about 300 hours on it and has been used up until 2001 when it was put in an hangar for storage and has not been used since.

The plane has always been keept in an hangar and from the pictures i have seen i seems to be in perfect condition.

But then again it has a couple of years on it so my question now concers the fabric that the plane is covered in.

It is covered in cenconite and the work was properly done according to prevoius owner.

I have been trying to read up on the internet and i have found that cenconite if done right and kept from the sun should hold up for life?
But then some say that 30-40 years and the recovering is needed.

Of cours it all depends on how the plane has been stored and taken care of.

Also any tips in what i should look at when i inspect the plane before buying is highly appreciated.

avidflyer
09-09-2017, 08:37 PM
If it's been in the hangar all the time, the fabric is probably just fine. Look to see if there appears to be any bulging of the fabric where it goes over tubes. That could indicate rust under the fabric. Probably not an issue either with a plane that's been hangared most of it's life. If it's a 2 stroke engine, you probably should look at getting it torn down, inspected and have new seals installed in the motor. JImChuk

Av8r_Sed
09-10-2017, 05:36 AM
I'm in line with JimChuck's thinking. In addition, if it was stored without draining fuel, you can expect some additional work to rebuild carbs.

Corrosion will be your worst issue. Check for any evidence of nesting rodents. Their urine can really do a job on aluminum and 4130 steel. Look carefully at the screw threads on the lift strut rod ends for corrosion. It might need some rework in that area.

In general, that age of plane shouldn't be an issue if it's been in dry storage.

Wheels
09-10-2017, 05:26 PM
I had to replace the fuel tanks in my wings due to the softening of the old fiberglass tanks. It was a couple thousand dollars in parts when I was done and the maintenance had to be done by a good mechanic. I paid. and paid. Now the plane has great tanks and I have flown it about 500 hours since the change.
happy I did that.

Peter_SE
09-28-2017, 04:27 AM
Thanks for all your answers guys, i checked for rust, covering and the tanks and all looked fine....the tanks where aluminium so that was a big plus!

I´driving down to Stockholm tomorrow to get "her" home :)

I´ll for sure post some pictures!!

Av8r3400
09-28-2017, 04:52 AM
Aluminum wing tanks were offered by Avid for a while. Because of the nature of the wings, the constant flexing caused them to crack and leak. This is why fiberglass is still the material being used by Kitfox.

Keep a close eye on them.

Peter_SE
09-28-2017, 07:37 AM
Aha, Thanks for the information...the guy have repaired one of the tanks but I don’t know what the cause was!

I will ask for sure!

Peter_SE
10-09-2017, 06:41 AM
The Kitfox has been transported 700 km to my home, feels great!. Now some work is needed, fit the engine back, painting, new windows for doors, calibrating instrument and a proper inspection to get here permit that it is airworthy.

Esser
10-09-2017, 06:47 AM
Nice Peter! When I was trying to think of registrations I had C-FKXK so it would be hard to read. It’s similar to your registration!

Manitoba flyer
01-02-2020, 09:29 PM
Hello Everyone, Happy New Year to all the Kitfox Family on here!
I am New to this Teamkitfox forum..

Looking at a KitFox as a beginner aircraft.
Grey head Rotax. Looking to recover the airplane and inspect every nut and bolt... Plane has sat outside neglected unfortunately for 2 years... Plan on doing a full resto on this aircraft. My son is just getting into flying so it will prove to be a good opportunity to spend more time together..

Question, Has anyone upgraded the engine to a 80hp? understanding the C/G specs etc will change but just asking the question.. Secondly has anyone recovered a Kitfox that could possibly share there experiences on how and what to lookout for .. Product to use, etc?

lastly, very nice plane you picked up! would love to see some picture once your done. If I could ask what type of floats do you have?

Thanks in advance for any info!!!!!

Take care everyone...
look forward to hearing back:)

DesertFox4
01-02-2020, 11:51 PM
Welcome Ken. Glad you found us.
An 80 hp model 2 is doable. SkySteve did a model 1 with 80 hp. Makes a good performer too.
Hopefully he can shed some light on the process. He made mods to rudder and vertical stabilizer for better handling characteristics before final covering also that worked out very well.

Recovering can be done with your choice of multiple fabric systems today that work on the Kitfox. The most common is the PolyFiber system which is the most likely fabric system found on aircraft from the early days and models like you are looking at.

Stewart’s system is another complete fabric covering option. Similar to the PolyFiber system but without the toxic chemicals found in PolyFiber products. Covering can even be done in doors without the use of respirators.

The third system is called Oratex. It also is a non-toxic system with no painting with exception of your fiberglass cowling pieces, metal fairings, fiberglass wingtips ect. Oratex is pretty popular system now.

All systems have their own specific application techniques so do your homework and chose the one that fits your fancy.
Best of luck with your project.

Manitoba flyer
01-03-2020, 10:21 PM
Thanks DesertFox4!
Really appreciate the info.. seems like I have more questions then answers unfortunately!
Any idea of floats that may match up to a Kitfox 2?
I also heard of owners swapping the engine out for a 670? especially if utilizing floats..

Not sure if I should start a new Thread or just continue with this one?

Greatly appreciate the info.. I am always happy to help anyone so the replies don't go unappreciated that's for sure..
Thanks!

Ken

Welcome Ken. Glad you found us.
An 80 hp model 2 is doable. SkySteve did a model 1 with 80 hp. Makes a good performer too.
Hopefully he can shed some light on the process. He made mods to rudder and vertical stabilizer for better handling characteristics before final covering also that worked out very well.

Recovering can be done with your choice of multiple fabric systems today that work on the Kitfox. The most common is the PolyFiber system which is the most likely fabric system found on aircraft from the early days and models like you are looking at.

Stewart’s system is another complete fabric covering option. Similar to the PolyFiber system but without the toxic chemicals found in PolyFiber products. Covering can even be done in doors without the use of respirators.

The third system is called Oratex. It also is a non-toxic system with no painting with exception of your fiberglass cowling pieces, metal fairings, fiberglass wingtips ect. Oratex is pretty popular system now.

All systems have their own specific application techniques so do your homework and chose the one that fits your fancy.
Best of luck with your project.

DesertFox4
01-03-2020, 11:13 PM
Ken, the two stroke engines are not in my wheel house at all. I’ve flown over 30 different Kitfox aircraft and coincidently, every model with exception of a model 2, but not one minute behind a two stroke yet. A 670 equipped model 2 would be a good performer on floats as would the 80 hp. four stroke Rotax powered model 2.
Many more qualified folks on these forums for two stroke information and also floats but I would think floats for a model 2 are likely more easily found than for the later heavier models. I would think 950 lbs to 1100 lbs. rated floats would work. Maybe even 1100 lbs. may be slightly big. Do a search of this site and the web for floats for the Kitfox. Several manufacturers should have something for your Kitfox.