PDA

View Full Version : Wooden lift strut fairings

BurgessJ
09-02-2017, 05:41 AM
We have what appear to be wooden fairings for our model IV speedster wing lift struts. We can't find any instructions for their attachment or positioning. Can anyone confirm for us that these are indeed fairings for the lift struts and point us in the direction of any instructions? Pictures are attached - and thanks in advance!!

DesertFox4
09-02-2017, 11:56 PM
They likely are not factory supplied strut fairings as I don't ever remember seeing wooden ones supplied. Doesn't mean they would not do a good job though. Others may know more about early strut fairing history. More likey home made concept that might be bonded on the trailing edge of each strut then wrapped with fabric and painted. Iv'e heard of that being done before. If that is the case you may not find any reference in the manual.

Av8r3400
09-03-2017, 01:28 AM
My IV-1050 had wood farings just like this for the lift struts. A friend (JimS) has them on his 1050 Speedster, too.

They were varnished and hysol'ed to the struts. Then covered with fabric and finished.

Jim drilled lightening holes (1" diameter?) in his to lessen their weight.

t j
09-03-2017, 07:45 AM
The wood fairing was an option for the early model kitfoxes. My Classic 4 kit was ordered in 1994. The options list to order the kit mentions a "Speed fairing kit with foam fairing for the trailing edges of the lift struts".

The catalog for the same year however, has the wood fairing listed as enough to do the lift struts and the tube landing gear. It is much lighter than the PVC fairing.

I bought a set of the wood fairing from another builder that decided to get the PVC instead because it is much easier to install. The wood was 5, 8 foot sections. I installed the wood on my landing gear but decided to get the PVC for the lift struts.

The instructions for installing the wood fairing are in the Cover and finish section in your builders manual.

It actually adds strength to the struts and landing gear and you can run the brake lines through the notch in the bottom of the V.

DesertFox4
09-03-2017, 08:28 AM
I did not get the build manual with the purchase of my model 3 or would have caught that.

Still learning everyday.
Thanks guys.:)

SkySteve
09-03-2017, 06:56 PM
I believe 85DD has those. I spoke with Dan Denny about them one time and if I remember right I believe he told me the ones on 85DD were made of balsa. They and the lift struts are covered with fabric.

rv9ralph
09-03-2017, 08:24 PM
I have the manual for my Model 3, they are wood and look like what you have. The guidance is not very extensive. There is a one page diagram with notes on attaching to gear legs and struts. In the covering section it describes how to cover with the scrap fabric trimmed from the leading edge.

If you need it I can scan those pages and post as an attachment in .pdf format.

Ralph

BurgessJ
09-04-2017, 06:03 AM
All,

I am always amazed at how quickly and how many people answer the posts on this forum. It is clearly very active, and I really look forward to joining this flying community!

Ralph, We have the covering and finish manual for the Model III at the hangar. Next time I am out there, I will look through the cover and finish section and see if I can't find the page you are talking about. If not I'll hit you up for the scanned copy.

Thanks to all!
Jay

HighWing
09-04-2017, 07:06 AM
The wood fairings are what I put on my friends Avid Mk 4. I put fabric on the lift struts, the gear legs, and spring struts, but on the cabane decided to just use microballoons in epoxy to smooth and fill on the cabane. I found it much quicker as it required only primer and paint vs. All the coats of Polyfiber coatings used on the struts etc. - a bit smother finish too. Although it was very hot here at the time and early mornings were the only time temps met the specs of the coatings.