View Full Version : Ivoprop ifa bolts

Jfquebec
08-31-2017, 12:34 PM
Hi Kitfox gang...im looking for bolts and nut for my ivoprop IFA
I Check with ivo compagnie...they send me that
Dear JF,
Ultralight model Electric adjust uses
8 mm bolt that is 80 mm under the head, 1.25 metric pitch,
8.8 metric hardness. It will say 8.8 on the head.
Regards, Roni

So i dont know nothing about bolts size..how lenght are the thread?
Can have it in AN bolts at spruce???

Thank's
JF

avidflyer
08-31-2017, 01:05 PM
Maybe these? JImChuk
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/metricbolts.php?clickkey=3009529

Dave S
08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
Roni,

There may be more than one supplier out there for metric bolts which could be used for the prop. I had to sort through this also when I got to looking for prop bolts.

For the metric bolt sizes. The Length (80mm) is the total lenght of the bolt shank including the threaded and non threaded part. The lenght of the threaded portion is standardized so if you get an 80 MM bolt, the threaded portion is not mentioned, but is assumed to be the same number of threads as other 80 mm bolts.

The pitch is determined by Rotax as that is what the prop flange is threaded for.

The hardness for metric bolts will be 8.8, 10.9 or 12.9. The hardness is critical as bolts which are too hard carry some risk of cracking in certain applications. 8.8 is medium carbon steel, quenched and tempered. The harder bolts have a slightly higher yield strength and tensile strength, but they are also more brittle.

The other thing a person can run into with metric bolts is stainless steel.....not to be used for this but easily identified as the heads have an "A" embossed on the top

I ended up getting bolts from Fastenall - don't know if they distribute in Canada or not but I bet there is someone who does.

One thing to always check for, due to washers, and other items affecting thickness of the prop hub stack, is to assure that the bolts do not bottom out on the unthreaded shank of the bolt against the engine prop flange.

The other thing I found out is it is hard to find any metric bolts with drilled heads for safety wire, consequently, I believe most folks use jam nuts on the back of the prop hub for securement.

Fly well,

DS

Dave S
08-31-2017, 01:14 PM
OK,

I am busted - I see the reference Jim showed has drilled 80 mm

:o

Jfquebec
09-02-2017, 05:21 AM
Thank's again...That is what i need..but for 912 ul,i need nut on the other side of the flange..maybe im to stupid 😜.. but i cant find $&@" nut for That bolts.. i write...m8x1.25.. m8 ....1.25 ??? Nothing

What is a right way to find a nut?

Many thank's
JF

Dave S
09-02-2017, 05:38 AM
JF - Got mine ordered from a local Fastenall store - they might also have an on-line source and likely other companies do also - I ordered a bag of 50 or so of the m8x1.25 nylock nuts figuring I would not reuse them more than once.

jrevens
09-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Hi JF...

Google search with "M8 x 1.25 nut" and you will get a lot of results.

Jfquebec
09-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Roger!!!

Thank's
That is really help

Jf

Jfquebec
09-02-2017, 01:20 PM
yes......it is hard to find that nut..i oder 50x from ebay ,but they are black plated..

thank's guy's

avidflyer
09-02-2017, 03:27 PM
I bought a half dozen from the local Lowes Building Center, found them in the metric section. My prop flange had threads in it, so these (Chinese?) bolts were probably plenty good enough. Actually, when you think about it, a lock nut on a hiem joint is just a regular nut..... I would rather have a locking type nut on the prop though. JImChuk

jiott
09-02-2017, 07:12 PM
No way would I use Lowe's (Chinese) bolts on something as critical as a prop. Aircraft quality for sure!

avidflyer
09-02-2017, 07:46 PM
In my case, the prop bolts screwed into the prop flange. (582 Rotax) The lock nuts were just an added safety feature. Don't think IVO even requires a lock nut on their bolts that screw into a prop hub. Just looked on their site and didn't see any shown or mentioned. I completely agree with you on aircraft grade nuts if they are actually holding the prop on. JImChuk

jrevens
09-02-2017, 07:46 PM
No way would I use Lowe's (Chinese) bolts on something as critical as a prop. Aircraft quality for sure!

I absolutely agree with you, Jim! Propeller bolts are always considered one of the more critical hardware applications, in my experience. You want something that's spec'd. properly, with a known pedigree. Prop bolts can be subjected to very high stresses, and a failure can result in a very bad day. It seems like we're mixing bolts and nuts here too.

avidflyer
09-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Just went back and reread my first post, and I did say Chinese bolts, when I meant to say nuts. No way would I have used Chinese (knowingly)?? (who knows where IVO gets theirs from these days) bolts from Lowes to hold the prop on. The bolts I used came from IVO. I wouldn't be a bit surprised that nuts bought on ebay were probably from China as well. JImChuk
PS sorry for the confusion I added to the topic.

Jfquebec
09-03-2017, 07:03 AM
I agree with you...but since one week i loocking for bolts and nut..
But..you dont think M8 bolts from everywhere are the same grades??
The best i want is to find these bolts and nut on aircraft spuce..
On my 912 80 hp ..i dont have thread in prop flange..so ..i need nylon nut.
I was angry to dosent find any precise information, like a plan with all i need..
Like you said.. propeller it's a critycal part..😩
I send a email to ivoprop to ship me some bolts and nut but he send me back im not in there computer ?????
I will re try to order from ivoprop..and i will try to have Ã* REAL view of the installations ( mouting bolts, washer,..ect)

Thank's again JIM,Dave, Avid

Jfquebec
09-04-2017, 04:48 AM
hohoho...
after more ivestigating,here's what i find..

here...http://microlighters.co.za/viewtopic.php?p=15421&sid=14c1b1e6f2021c9c3d6fb17ec0137cbc

912S and late model 912 80 hp 75 mm flange pattern for Ultrailght model propeller bolt holes are not threaded

so we use the stronger AN5 BOLTS,

so my flange are not thread (early model)
maybe AN5 is my option...
what do you think gentleman

Jf

jrevens
09-04-2017, 10:22 AM
If 5/16" diameter is what you need, AN5 bolts should be good, Jf.

jiott
09-04-2017, 10:37 AM
FWIW, always use the specified bolts; if you use a grade 8 bolt where a grade 5 is specified you might think the 8 is stronger so overkill is good. Wrong! The 8 is stronger alright, but when you apply the specified torque the bolt will not stretch as much as a 5, so you lose much of the spring effect that keeps the bolt from loosening under vibration, stress cycles, etc.

jiott
09-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Also, I am a big fan of Nordlock washers for positive locking, especially if you don't have drilled bolt heads for safety wire.