PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Jacks and Stands for Model 7

rosslr
08-20-2017, 06:49 PM
With a stretch of inclement weather I decided to get stuck in to a project that I have wanted to do since building - making a set of solid and effective lifting jacks/stands. I know there are many ways people jack their aircraft but just though I would share the result for those interested. The results are below in the photos.

The design parameters were as follows:
1. solid, no risk of falling
2. adjustable to enable levelling of aircraft
3. tail lift to be moveable so that when tail is up in level flight position the aircraft can be manoeuvred in the hanger
4. low cost

I started at the local tip where I found some good thick walled galvanised pipe, some 6mm plate ( old BBQ plate) and some 2" flat bar. I bought three 2000kg bottle jacks at the local tool store for $36 ea on special. A bit of welding, drilling and 2 rattle cans of paint later and I am really pleased with the results. The tail stand jacks on the tail wheel spring and has a channel to positively locate it and keep it 'locked'. The forward stands jack on the undercarriage attach points and have two holes drilled in the RHS to positively locate the lift points over the two undercarriage bolts - again 'locking' the lift point. I get some extra muscle to help lift the tail onto the tail stand and then slide the fwd stands into position before jacking the front wheels off the ground. The the tail stand can be jacked to achieve 'level'. I am very happy with the result and the aircraft feels extremely 'solid' when off the ground.

DesertFox4
08-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Looks solid and secure Ross. Nice.

jiott
08-20-2017, 08:59 PM
Nice work Ross.
I would suggest you make the tailstand bottle jack easily removable from the tall stand so it can be moved under the tailwheel spring and jack the tail a few inches off the ground by one man, without the extra muscle. I find many times when I want the tail up off the ground, but don't need it way up level.

t j
08-21-2017, 06:42 AM
Very Nice! Just in case you haven't considered it. Be sure not to swing a wing back without the main wheels on the floor. You could jack up the mains once both wings were folded back.

rosslr
08-21-2017, 02:50 PM
G'day Jim - I have a chain block attached to the roof beams - a lifting strap is used under the tail to bring it up to stand height if no extra bodies around! Gone are the muscle man days of lifting awkward weights!!! Spent too many days in bed with a sore back, besides, we are supposed to get wiser as we ripen! Good point Tom. Safety is what it is all about!

cheers

efwd
08-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Those look very nice Ross.
What compels you to three point the airframe. Probably most people don't do that Im guessing. Im inquiring so that I know how many bottle jacks and welding classes are ahead?;)
Eddie

rosslr
08-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Hi Eddie.

1. Rigging requires you to level the aircraft fore/aft/side to side. Big fat soft tyres move a fair bit.

2. It is an easy way to change remove a wheel.

3. Its easy to 'retread' the tyres using herculiner

4. I like to jack it up when I go away for a time to avoid the flat spots that happen on the tyres.

5. Jacking up the tail is really nice when working on the aircraft as it takes the flapperons out of nose/eye/head contact range

there are probably other reasons ?????

cheers

r

efwd
08-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Ah yes, i still need to install flapperons and rig those. Hadn't thought of how it's different now with fabric over the hard points I used before cover.

ppilotmike
08-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Very nice! Well thought out and executed. Mike:)

Paul Z
08-22-2017, 05:13 AM
The jacks would make it pretty easy to do a weight & balance.

David47
08-22-2017, 01:03 PM
I used to go to the tip with my dad when I was young. Always came back with more than we took !. Nice work Ross.