PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox S7 Speedster - Kyle Franklin

jdmcbean
08-17-2017, 12:14 PM
Kitfox S7 Speedster at Oshkosh 2017. Flown by professional aerobatic airshow pilot Kyle Franklin of Franklin's Flying Circus.
(https://youtu.be/mFwPlP4CZ6o)
Special thanks to our Sponsors:
Rotax Flying Safety Club (RFSC), PPG Paints, DreamScheme Designs, AeroLEDs, Airmaster, Garmin, EarthX.. and the dedicated crew at Kitfox Aircraft.

airlina
08-17-2017, 12:24 PM
What an amazing talent! Both Kyle and the Speedster. Great video John, Really like how you provided the inside/outside look at maneuvers. Bruce N199CL

offroute
08-17-2017, 12:42 PM
I want one.

Dusty
08-17-2017, 12:47 PM
Well!That just made my day.

Dick B in KY
08-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Kyle's showmanship is great. Love the video. John, can you give a little info on the smoke system install??

Dick B

DesertFox4
08-17-2017, 01:56 PM
Great video and editing was exciting. Been waiting for the release of Sunday's routing with in cockpit video. Worth the wait.
Kyle did two great routines. Master showman. Love the beautiful slow roll.

Ditto on the thanks to all the sponsors:):
Rotax Flying Safety Club (RFSC), PPG Paints, DreamScheme Designs, AeroLEDs, Airmaster, Garmin, EarthX.. and the dedicated crew at Kitfox Aircraft.

jrevens
08-17-2017, 02:27 PM
I just love that too... it was great to see it live. Two questions for John - was the fuel system in the Speedster stock "Kitfox", and was having the Airmaster an advantage for Kyle?

SkySteve
08-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Oh, yea! Great vid of great flying!! Loved it.

jdmcbean
08-17-2017, 03:01 PM
It was a STOCK Kitfox S7 with the 912iS engine. Didn't change or modify fuel or oil system.

We thought the Airmaster would be helpful and Kyle said it really wouldn't matter to him.. I suspect not having to worry about the engine over-speed was the biggest advantage.

Kyle did mention that the main issue he had was how quickly the Kitfox builds up speed.. he was not expecting that and therefore he was off the power earlier.

As for the smoke system.. It was a 5 gallon system. The tank is in the baggage area. Lots of research went into the smoke system and it paid off. We will need to rethink the tank. We bought one that we made work.. but there is probably a better way.. that's what happens when you're getting ready for Oshkosh. Hats off to Mark that made it work.

Av8r_Sed
08-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Wow, John! Great in cockpit video. Kyle looks so relaxed.

Anybody know why he flys right seat?

Esser
08-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Wow, John! Great in cockpit video. Kyle looks so relaxed.

Anybody know why he flys right seat?

Most aerobatic planes are right hand stick, left throttle. He's probably just used to it.

jrevens
08-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Most aerobatic planes are right hand stick, left throttle. He's probably just used to it.

That's probably right. Also, many pilots just prefer to have the stick in their right hand regardless of the type of aircraft. Also, some guys who have done a lot of instructing just like to fly from the right side. The sight picture is different also, of course. I've had friends who built their airplanes, and set them up for flying from the right seat. I'm right-handed & wasn't sure I would be comfortable with the stick in my left hand when I test flew my first homebuilt 27 years ago, but I got used to it real fast. I actually prefer it now, and when I get in something like a Citabria/Decathlon or Cub they actually don't feel as comfortable to me in that regard.

jdmcbean
08-17-2017, 08:46 PM
Kyle fly's his Cub in the Ben Whabnaski, the annoying drunk who wants his airplane ride that was promised to him routine, Dracula the Highly modified Waco both have throttle left hand and stick in the right.. So when we flew the Speedster he chose the right seat to keep throttle and stick like he is used to.

colospace
08-18-2017, 08:42 AM
Lot of fun. Sort of a breath of fresh air after all the focus recently on STOL (which is cool too of course).

SSFoxBuilder
08-18-2017, 10:00 AM
http://memes.ucoz.com/_nw/45/59141724.jpg