PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox 7 Speedster Specs & Pricing

TopFox
08-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Have the specifications and pricing for the Kitfox 7 Speedster been released yet? I assume it can be registered in the light sport category? Thanks in advance.

aviator79
08-01-2017, 01:17 PM
Long time lurker - First time poster. See image from the literature available at OSH.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/yP2TlJRh-tpD2F00iDYOJaG8pCyTCu48xryWXmzYUSNieJXxEGdw9UylKCh ZKmqlt6B3n71g7FRVGwZ_xhTPu400xwQflKMFATVLlqSeULzVJ GDQh1yy6GHBnjVUivYLA0kHN_47KJr3r8CPalu8jnLdSWymTKh YDlpddPkA1ZE6pehpLRcqeVdyhaiR6VGqWcZ5ycDOzkx7vWHsm 8vQKXi9TUPDKT3ORYCX-oEGu7q9V6be7_UlN3xCiZlOZ03L9fiUg-totm3DuYnyMbbb7mAatqpQI8wPesggXbKuFsoAfef9HYaL3ljF 1s1I6r9f6xaSWRd17IqMYS5zEX04S2ZmF3HMPofA5mdoaZxMEz xmNZO1DTxuOV4gBbh137NgVvrqfF2sO-ZADj6_oovhB5qDD-3ncWgTYrTk2I5XEywQhYZLJV863_PFGZO_GY0f55tkRo_fXS91 vHx_tpqUvWWmz0kxesARRKbIBzOOn9jGPFWxfwkPisJXlqkZSa MFG2tnUy6CqcxelAqxSV2WH808spZT6wpmYWGLhEHbzszcfuQM fHM957qUt0uoMAH_01XiPOoAugP31zZrtEKPbW9px6GkGF5GGL 3CjmUACRd5xjzEmQ6SOQYtHg=w708-h944-no

I hope to visit Homedale in October for a demo ride.

efwd
08-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Just be aware, one ride, your sold on the plane.

jrthomas
08-02-2017, 02:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5f6aYoWww

aviator79
08-03-2017, 07:09 AM
Just be aware, one ride, your sold on the plane.

John McBean and Paul Leadebrand certainly agree with you. John almost seemed amused that I want to come out and fly it before putting down a deposit, as if he had seen the future and was already certain of the outcome. I guess I should bring a checkbook.

efwd
08-03-2017, 10:00 AM
I was supposed to fly on the first day with a stop at the factory planned to take a tour. I had to drive to the factory as I was weathered out. I wrote the check that day. I then went for 2.5 hours flight with Stick and Rudder the next day and began to laugh after I was given the controls for the first time. Steve (CFI) just looked at me and grinned. He knew without me saying anything. But I had to tell him, "I made the right choice and I am so happy I wrote the check".:D Had I flown a speedster I might have peed my pants in elation, who knows. Having seen the old speedster I did ask John about loops and rolls. I definitely would have ordered a speedster had it been available.
Eddie

Slyfox
08-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you can do aerobatics in any airplane as long as you keep things positive g's and keep that g low. I was doing hammer heads, my favorite, this morning. of course with a few rolls mixed in. :rolleyes: just need to keep things in the right perspective.

aviator79
09-05-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure when it went live, but the Kitfox website now has additional details, including pricing and ordering information for the Speedster. So much is included with the basic kit, that it's not too far off of the number I'd tallied for the standard SS7. Other than the streamline lift and tail struts, the pricing all seems pretty reasonable.

rosslr
09-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Its good to see the spark of interest caused by the Speedster and previously by the STI and the use of the Titan engine - great to see the Kitfox constantly evolving.

On that note, I asked recently on the Flyin blog about a pic showing the install of the new 915is engine - is this another case of Kitfox trying a 'first'?? I assume it was at the factory? Anyone know the story? It will be really interesting to see how that engine performs compared tot he 912 and 914 variants.

Looking forward to insider knowledge.
cheers

David47
09-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Are there thoughts of a future engine change Ross ??!!

DesertFox4
09-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Yes there was a fuselage at the fly in with the 915 installed in it. John and I brought it over from the factory before the fly in started. It was in John and Debra's hanger back in the corner. I took several people back to see it who had walked by the fuselage and had not noticed the 915 mounted in it.

rosslr
09-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Thanks DF - is it a trial between Kitfox and Rotax, or for a client? Is there a time line for completion? Should be interesting to see comparisons with other engines. I reckon that will be an great combo with the Airmaster CSP in both all wing configurations.

Not looking to swap out just yet Dave! We still have a few hours left on the 912is!!

cheers

r

aviator79
09-07-2017, 09:41 AM
We're drifting off topic, but it looks like everything fits pretty nicely. It's a little difficult to tell in the pictures: Is the intercooler mounted parallel to the firewall behind the engine?

I'm anxious to see pricing for this engine. I saw a post on Rotax-Owner claiming to have seen a price sheet from Lockwood with a pleasantly low number on it. But not being a member, I wasn't able to log into view the poster's attachment.

The Speedster intro is already causing my cash outlay estimate to creep northward. But since my field elevation is 7200', the turbo is very appealing. Someone once told me that to estimate the total cost to build, make a spreadsheet that accounts for every nut and rivet. Then double it and add radios.

av8rps
09-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Rule number 1: NEVER calculate the cost to build an airplane. If you do you are unlikely to ever start building.

A friend of mine built a Murphy Moose on Aerocet amphib floats with the big 400 horsepower supercharged radial engine and an 84 inch constant speed prop. He spent a quarter million dollars and 8 years of his life to finish it. Then after flying it he learned that if he kept his fist in the throttle it could burn more than 35 gallons an hour. So he found himself hardly ever flying it. That went on for a while, but then we all started seeing him flying it more often. We asked "What about all that fuel?" He replied "Fixed that!" Of course we all wondered exactly how he did that? He replied "I put 10 grand on a pre-paid credit card. When I pay my fuel bill at an FBO, I sign for the total without looking at it, and then tear up the receipt so I don't have to think about how much my fuel cost to fly this thing. When the card runs out I dump another 10k on it and start it all over again. And I've never enjoyed my plane more". In the scheme of building a 250 k airplane, we all agreed that made good sense...

Moral of that story: Life is short, so just go build what you want and then fly the hell out of it :)

Final note: Choosing a Kitfox is one of the least regretful things you will ever do regarding aviation.

DesertFox4
09-07-2017, 02:23 PM
It's a little difficult to tell in the pictures: Is the intercooler mounted parallel to the firewall behind the engine?

The intercooler had not yet been mounted.

Av8r3400
09-07-2017, 05:38 PM
I reckon that will be an great combo with the Airmaster CSP in both all wing configurations.

If I remember correctly, John was saying the 915 required a hydraulic constant speed propeller.

SpeedFox
09-07-2017, 05:52 PM
Having fun at the Fly in.

aviator79
09-07-2017, 06:45 PM
If I remember correctly, John was saying the 915 required a hydraulic constant speed propeller.

That seems a strange requirement. I'd be curious to know more. It The Airmaster website lists the 915iS, but only says they are currently evaluating propellers for this engine.