PDA

View Full Version : loctite RC680

kmul
08-24-2008, 08:07 AM
i dont know about you but whenever i put something together i wonder how am i ever going to get this apart. hadnt heard of this product before and had some hernon cynlock 822 on hand that i could have used. when i checked at the local places like napa etc they had a permatex retaining compund. but the hernon and the prematex stuff at the local store had a much higher temp destruction of 4-500 degrees. so i mail ordered the loctite stuff as it is only a 300 degree disassembly point. recently had to disassemble a bearing put in with the loctite 680. used a air heat gun and it came right out with no damage to the powder coat. so i am really happy i didnt substitute with one of the others more readily available to me. you can get a 300 degree temp stick at a welding store for about a buck which i use to disassemble red loctite and dont want to overheat. i think permatex does have a product with the same specs as the rc680 but not at the auto parts places.

RandyL
10-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I just went to buy some of this stuff today at my local auto parts store... no joy. They couldn't even find it in their catalogs. Anyone know where it's carried or what an acceptable substitute would be?

There was a Permatex product at the store that looked similar, of course I forgot to write down the product number.

kmul
10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
randy
there is a comparable permatex product. i had to look for it on their website but it is not the stuff in the local stores. just order it and save yourself from the ignorance of the auto parts help many of whom dont know what retaining compund is. well at least in arkansas. found mine on amazon.

Dick B in KY
10-23-2008, 05:38 PM
You can get it from John and Debra at Kitfox, $18 and change, or you can get it at Fastenal if you have one in your area.

Dick B