PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Covering Floorboards?

southwind32
07-22-2017, 09:22 AM
I've never done any carbon fiber work, but was thinking of covering the plywood floorboards with it. What do you think? Good or bad idea?
Comments are appreciated.
Thanks
Brian

GWright6970
07-22-2017, 10:05 AM
I thought it would be sensible to give up some weight and place a super thin aluminum skin on top of my floorboards for wear resistance. I bonded the aluminum to the wood with rubber cement. This "lamination" is now in the aircraft for life.... the floorboards have lost ALL FLEXIBILITY!! It will be easier to build another whole kit than take them out! I pray that I never have to take them out.

Confession....while it looks really great, I wish I had left them as simple plywood floorboards.

southwind32
07-22-2017, 10:45 AM
I thought it would be sensible to give up some weight and place a super thin aluminum skin on top of my floorboards for wear resistance. I bonded the aluminum to the wood with rubber cement. This "lamination" is now in the aircraft for life.... the floorboards have lost ALL FLEXIBILITY!! It will be easier to build another whole kit than take them out! I pray that I never have to take them out.

Confession....while it looks really great, I wish I had left them as simple plywood floorboards.
Did you use Hysol for bonding or ??
Why didn't you bond each section separately, that's what I thought I'd do with the carbon fiber, that way you could take them out if needed. I thought I'd put some very thin diamond plate for some plates, for ones heels to rest on.

kitfox2009
07-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Hi guys
I cut a very thin sheet of aluminum obtained from the aviation dept at home hardware. There is tough building paper bonded to the back side.
Cut this to fit the floorboards but leave a lip about 3 inches long that slides under and between the rudder pedal bearing blocks.
This is not attached to the wood floorboards but is screwed down with the floorboard screws.
It is super easy to keep clean. Easily replaceable if necessary. Looks great and is light.
Don
Vixen 912UL IFA IVO over 700 hours and counting.

jmodguy
07-22-2017, 08:48 PM
If you cover the floorboards with CF I would think that the boards that your feet rest on would eventually look rough due to your shoes scratching the resin. I was thinking to use thin aluminum on the boards next to the rudder pedals. You could prob CF the other boards though for a nice look.

David47
07-22-2017, 09:03 PM
The wear resistance of carbon laminate to scuffing etc wouldn't be all that good. I assume you're looking at not carpeting the floor so I'd look for something a little more wear resistant, like a linoleum or some other thin synthetic material commonly used in flooring. Also, I'd look at something where you can velcro it to the boards and remove for cleaning. It's not big area your talking about so weight shouldn't be an issue. FWIW.

GWright6970
07-23-2017, 05:03 PM
Did you use Hysol for bonding or ??
Why didn't you bond each section separately, that's what I thought I'd do with the carbon fiber, that way you could take them out if needed. I thought I'd put some very thin diamond plate for some plates, for ones heels to rest on.
Brian,
I should have been more specific...sorry! My floor boards are the stock two piece set still. I just put a skin of aluminum on each of them. I used rubber cement so that there would be some give to the adhesive...the Hysol has very little flex to it.

southwind32
07-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Brian,
I should have been more specific...sorry! My floor boards are the stock two piece set still. I just put a skin of aluminum on each of them. I used rubber cement so that there would be some give to the adhesive...the Hysol has very little flex to it.
What is the two piece set still? On my 7 I have 5 pieces of plywood. One long piece under the rudder pedals. 2, a left and right that are basically the floor boards for your feet, and 2, left and right at the rear that slope up to the base of the front seats.
I found some aluminum diamond plate that looks interesting. I'm going to look into it more. I'll bond it to the plywood if I elect to go that route.

efwd
07-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Do you think your heals will hang up on the surface of diamond plate? Seems everybody puts a smooth piece of aluminum in front of the pedals.

southwind32
07-23-2017, 07:57 PM
I don't think so, but that is something I'll have to check. I don't think the pattern on the thin aluminum diamond plate sticks up much. Most of the kick plates on manufactured airplanes aren't smooth, and have some kind of dimples etc where your heels rest.

kitfox2009
07-23-2017, 08:13 PM
Smooth works very well, especially when you want to be sure you are off the brakes when landing.
I found by having the aluminum extend forward between the rudder bearings it does not have to be attached to the wood, other than with the hold down screws for the entire assembly.
These assemblies should be easily removable for servicing and annuals.
Cheers
Don

jd99336
07-24-2017, 05:53 AM
I havent started building yet so am probably not qualified to comment, but I have used Epoxy Master in two shops now and after 7 or 8 years, they show minimal wear with cars on them daily. Wonder how that would work. You can pick your colors and only add traction sand where you want grip. Www.epoxymaster.com

jmodguy
07-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Hadn't thought of epoxy based floor coverings...
@ $85.00/gal seems a bit stiff... :eek:

jd99336
07-24-2017, 08:14 PM
Hadn't thought of epoxy based floor coverings...
@ $85.00/gal seems a bit stiff... :eek:

Buy a garage kit and do your shop, then finish your floor boards with the remnants....or buy a touch up kit for $35 that covers 8 to 10 sf. It would be custom so you have to pay more,,, right:D

Also poking around the site you will find counter top kits starting at $30. I think it is the same stuff. This is way better than epoxy at big box stores. I have hit is with ball peen hammer and not left a mark. My steel jack wheels will leave a scrape, but it hit it with wax to polish up. Pretty tough stuff and clean up of oil, grease, solvents is a simple wipe and done.

My one concern would be burn issues. Dont think it is flammable when cured, but not sure of toxicity

rv9ralph
07-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Another durable option would be LineX pickup truck bed spray on liner. I bet if you took your floorboards to a shop they would spray them cheap when doing another job. Very durable... Yes, Weight ???

Ralph

jrevens
07-25-2017, 05:47 AM
I like thin (0.15") stainless steel scuff plates made from shim stock. It has a good temper and doesn't dent or scratch easily, and it's smooth. 6" wide and as long as you like. I like to be able to slide my heals a little, and mostly keep them on the plates when not braking.

efwd
07-25-2017, 08:10 AM
Stainless is what I will likely do. I will be using the factory interior so Im not sure if I will have to add the scuff plates or not. Not sure how the carpets come.
Eddie

Guy Buchanan
07-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Covering with carbon will be fine, as long as you do both sides. Otherwise they'll warp. Be careful to align fiber on both sides, as again...

I would finish paint with urethane, clear or otherwise, to protect the epoxy. You can wear into the carbon, it won't fuzz like kevlar, but will not look great. (Epoxy is fairly soft and scratches quite readily.)

My floorboards were replaced with aluminum honeycomb, about 1/8" thick. The hard points, (where fasteners or rivnuts pierce and all around the edge,) are made by destroying 1/2" of core around the fastener hole or along the edge, then injecting resin, then re-drilling the hole or finishing the edge. They've held up well, but are not bulletproof by any means. (They'll dent if you try hard enough.) They're covered with urethane paint, which has held up well over 600 hours.

Here's (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-2024-nordam-honeycomb-1-8-x-24-x-48-/172427724464?hash=item28257e46b0:g:5bAAAOSw2xRYPxq 0) a source.

jiott
07-25-2017, 09:37 AM
FYI, the factory interior carpet kit comes with a smooth vinyl? insert where your heels rest. Works great as-is imho.

efwd
07-25-2017, 11:11 AM
nice, thanks Jim

Wheels
07-25-2017, 01:36 PM
IMHO I would suggest that Diamond plate of any thickness in a plane is an extravagant weight sacrifice for the intended utility.
I took off 5 lbs of rudder pedal coverings of diamond plate on my IV when I bought it. Have never regretted that. Keep her light and strong, Heavy is for armored personnel carriers, humvees and boat anchors.