PDA

View Full Version : question ?

nidaho
07-01-2017, 12:33 PM
what is everyones thoughts on building a plane before you get your license. Ive wanted to build for 5 or 6 years but the economic crash set me back I am again looking into building one. I wanted to use the new plane to get my license, not sure if the kit fox is suitable for a person to get a license in. thanks for any info.

Norm
07-01-2017, 12:42 PM
It's a great idea. I'm teaching someone to fly in my KF4. You may want to consider using the tricycle gear option but you will find the kitfox a tough plane to beat both to learn and to progress as your skills improve.
My thoughts.

jiott
07-01-2017, 12:59 PM
I built my Kitfox SS7, then went to Stick & Rudder in Boise and got my license (I had never flown before), then came home and did my maiden flight and Phase I testing on my own plane.

I found no good way to use my own newly-built Kitfox to take my training in. There were no Kitfox instructors in my area, someone else would have had to fly off the first 40 hours of Phase I testing before it could be used for training, then I would have had to have someone else fly it to Boise to be used in my training.

nidaho
07-01-2017, 01:16 PM
I could get my license with the local air port in a 150 or 172, I have looked into stick and rudder and thought that also to be an option. I am going to build a trike gear I think. only question about the trike was if I could land at all the grass strips that tail draggers could, the strips looks pretty nice from the pictures.

Dusty
07-01-2017, 02:19 PM
My brother learnt to fly in his own KF4 ,he had no problem.
I wish I had learnt in a fox:)

nidaho
07-01-2017, 02:57 PM
now I all I have to do is convince the wife that spending 67-75 thousand to build and learn to fly a kit fox is a good idea, shes not totally against the idea, the house is paid for the kids are gone. probably wont be able to start on one till the end of next summer. I am selling the house and building a new one and a 28x30 shop thanks for the input willy

Dave S
07-01-2017, 03:33 PM
Willy,

There is a list member who did exactly what you are considering......and his story is on this list under "Kitfox of the month" Patrick Hintz model 6.

Great story, worth a read.

Cherrybark
07-01-2017, 04:14 PM
If you can manage 32' or maybe even 34' on the interior of the new shop it will come in useful when it's time to rig the wings. With a 34' width you should be able to squeeze your way around the wings rather than having to repeatedly duck under. And I can promise, during the wing rigging process, the drift pin, wrench, and every other tool you need will always be on the other side of the fuselage.

Ramos
07-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Your plan makes perfect sense, even if you can't use your personal bird for the actual flight training. My plan is much the same although I may not build as a first plane. Since you're in Idaho, I would give serious thought to Stick and Rudder. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I believe they even have a tricycle KF now if that is the way you want to go. I plan to use Paul and his crew myself. I have a few hours in 150's but plan to train in tail dragger configuration. It worked in the old days, no reason it won't work now if that is where a person wants to end up. Best of luck, keep the enthusiasm going!

David47
07-01-2017, 11:06 PM
If you've wanted to build for 5 to 6 years, you won't be satisfied unless you do it. I quit flying (low hours) 20 years ago and finally took the leap last year and ordered the SS7 kit ...... before I restarted flying. If in your shoes, I'd start the build and then start flying when you're approaching the end of it. It's a good idea, I think, to learn to fly other aircraft types and also to operate into and out of sealed, gravel and grass strips. A rounded experience is a good thing. Whichever way you jump, good luck with the decision. Just my thoughts. :)

jtpitkin06
07-02-2017, 07:27 AM
I think you are mixing apples and anchovies.

Building a kit plane is an educational construction project requiring familiarity with tools. Flying skills are not necessary.

Learning to fly is an educational, motor skill development activity. It is not necessary to build a plane in order to learn to fly.

If you plan on doing both, learn to fly first. It may change your choice of aircraft as your flying experience evolves.

John P.

nidaho
07-02-2017, 07:33 AM
sounds like my shop just got a little bigger, I am the builder doesn't cost much more for a few extra feet. I know if I don't build one I will regret it, I actually wanted to build a ultra light about 10 years ago but couldn't afford it. my boss at the time built a small plane from wood, that is what got me interested. I am not set on the trike, i like the looks of the tail dragger we will see. I have looked into stick and rudder they are only 6 or 7 hours away. I am very motivated, I have built 4 houses on the evenings and weekends, from concrete to roof, by myself. i am sure i can build the plane its just the electrical and avionics that scare me a little. there is a series 5 kit with a rebuilt fuel injected 914 on trade a plane. seemed a little expensive, thought i read on here used kit was worth about half of new. they are asking 19000 for kit and 6500 for engine, would probably make a offer but i really cant store it till next fall. willy

GuppyWN
07-02-2017, 05:20 PM
I could get my license with the local air port in a 150 or 172, I have looked into stick and rudder and thought that also to be an option. I am going to build a trike gear I think. only question about the trike was if I could land at all the grass strips that tail draggers could, the strips looks pretty nice from the pictures.

I've flown nose draggers for 30 years. As a recent tailwheel pilot I beg you to put the wheel where it belongs on a Kitfox! it just doesn't look the same and the taildragger is very tame.

Cherrybark
07-03-2017, 05:22 PM
When you are sitting in your rocker amazed that your 90th birthday has arrived, be able to look back on adventures and accomplishments rather than things you wish you had done!

HighWing
07-03-2017, 06:25 PM
If you've wanted to build for 5 to 6 years, you won't be satisfied unless you do it. I quit flying (low hours) 20 years ago and finally took the leap last year and ordered the SS7 kit ...... before I restarted flying. If in your shoes, I'd start the build and then start flying when you're approaching the end of it. It's a good idea, I think, to learn to fly other aircraft types and also to operate into and out of sealed, gravel and grass strips. A rounded experience is a good thing. Whichever way you jump, good luck with the decision. Just my thoughts. :)

Your story is my story. I hadn't flown for about 20 years - trained in a Cessna 170-Back in 72, build a Model IV in the 90s, Did the BFR in a Citabtria, Hired Robin Reid to fly the first five hours then he checked me out in N96KL and I flew off the rest.

av8rps
07-04-2017, 06:26 AM
I think you are mixing apples and anchovies.

Building a kit plane is an educational construction project requiring familiarity with tools. Flying skills are not necessary.

Learning to fly is an educational, motor skill development activity. It is not necessary to build a plane in order to learn to fly.

If you plan on doing both, learn to fly first. It may change your choice of aircraft as your flying experience evolves.

John P.

That is an outstanding way to explain it John. I'm going to remember that the next time I get asked this same question...which seems to come up a lot.