PDA

View Full Version : What to do, looking for suggestions.

southwind32
06-17-2017, 09:48 PM
I just purchased a partially completed 7. The wings are covered thru the first coat of poly brush, the pink stuff LOL. When we were loading and unloading, I could hear something rattling inside. Sounded like small pieces of gravel. I suspected it might be mouse droppings. I've been looking inside the wings from the tip end and discovered there's some kind of nest back towards the tank in one wing. My problem is, I need to get it out of there, The second problem is, did they do any damage, such as chewing on a rib, or stitching. My big concern is, mouse/rat urine is very corrosive, These wings were covered about 5 years ago. Who knows how old the nest is. I feel I need to inspect for corrosion and if ok clean and treat to prevent any problems in the future, and this would include the full length of the spar. I'm thinking the best and most comprehensive plan would be to uncover the wings.
So what do you think I should do? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Brian

ken nougaret
06-18-2017, 05:52 AM
Were inspection holes installed under the wing and how many? Could you get to most spots with a borescope? I guess if you did have to pull covering you would only have to remove one side. Now is the time to make sure, before paint.

avidflyer
06-18-2017, 06:02 AM
At this point, it would be pretty easy to put in a few inspection holes in the problem area. That would be a lot less work than recovering the whole wing if you can fix whatever needs fixing through the inspection holes. JImChuk

efwd
06-18-2017, 06:44 AM
What about UV light on a five year install without Poly Spray? I guess there would be a lot of variables with regard to that answer. Just a thought.
Eddie

southwind32
06-18-2017, 10:21 AM
It was stored inside so I don't think the UV is to much to worry about. I'm not opposed to removing the fabric, that will also allow me to inspect the wing. It appears the prior builder was doing a very good job, but still would be "peace of mind" to inspect everything. It would also let me inspect for damage from the critters. I'm leaning that direction right now, but still interested in hearing others opinions.
Thanks
Brian

avidflyer
06-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Well a Kitfox wing is very easy to recover if you do go that route. No curved ends to pull fabric and finish tapes around. JImChuk

rosslr
06-18-2017, 02:23 PM
I would NOT re-cover the wings unless, after close inspection, you discovered a reason to have to get access to repair damage to the ribs/spars/tanks. It would be a big job to recover it all if nothing is discovered apart from a nest! As others have said, I would put in a series of inspection holes between each station on the underside of the wing. With torch and perhaps borescope ( you can get really cheap ones now) you will get to inspect it well and have the inspection/access holes there for later years. And having to the polybrush stage makes it an easy job to cut holes and instal inspection holes.

Good luck

ross

PapuaPilot
06-18-2017, 04:02 PM
I agree. Don't open it unless you find a reason.

airlina
06-18-2017, 05:40 PM
I am going to take the more conservative route . Unless you can be 100 percent certain that the mice did no damage , i would not feel comfortable with the wing. I live in the country and we have a lot of airplanes in country type hangars (dirt floors and lots of mouse access) and every year I have seen the damage they do-they are the enemy. some examples are chewed wood spars and as you mentioned the corrosive urine on metal parts. One of those new fangled camera type boroscopes that have a viewing screen will be your best tool to take a good look. Good luck , gotta go check my mouse trap line! Bruce N199CL

bumsteer
06-18-2017, 05:57 PM
I would have to agree with Bruce. I too live in the country and see what damage these vermin can do. If you can't get a borescope or some type of camera in the wing or can't verify if there is any damage through inspection holes, you may have to consider a recover.

Rick

Esser
06-19-2017, 12:58 PM
The wing is the easiest thing to cover on the plane. That being said, I would start with an inspection hole and if I wasn't satisfied I would enlarge it and add a patch after. Just me.

southwind32
06-19-2017, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it. I opened the wing up this afternoon. The nest was about a foot square. I'm guessing mostly insulation. There's dropping along the leading edge, of course right now, I have the wings in a rack with the leading edge down. The area where the nest was, did have some very, very minor, what appeared to be corrosion. I cleaned most of it up with MKE and used a scott brite pad and got the rest. I do want to treat the metal to neutralize any residue, any suggestions, what about Aluminum Prep?

rv9ralph
06-19-2017, 06:32 PM
Alumiprep (sp) is an etch and will clean the aluminum. After using that, you must protect the metal. Alodine (sp) or equivalent is usually used. Then prime if you desire. However, if you have ever entered into the prime/no prime debate on the VansAirforce Forum, it is a deep and long hole to drop into. The main thing, if you are going to "prime" select a product that does not leave a porous surface. Most true primers are designed to be covered with a finish coat.

Ralph