PDA

View Full Version : Franklin engines

jrthomas
09-03-2009, 12:22 PM
With Rotax 912's prices through the roof, have any of you researched or had any experience with the new Franklin 4A-235. It weighs 206lbs empty, fits the O200 mount and makes 125hp at 2800rpm and it's FAA certified and at just $6900. It sounds too good to be true. Their web site is active so some of ya'll building a model 5-7 might be interested. It's www.franklinengines.com (http://www.franklinengines.com) Thanks,James Thomas

SkyPirate
09-03-2009, 08:35 PM
I know the franklins have been around for awhile ,..the Cruisair I was looking at had a franklin ,..it was a 1945 cruisair,..the only guy I know close to me that works on them is in Oklahoma.

Chase

76Realty
09-03-2009, 09:57 PM
Franklin engines are probably solid. Many different engines can be successfully used in the Kitfox, and at less than half the cost, it's worth considering. Rotax is the leader in experimental light sport aircraft. They may be leveraging their market position to command high prices, but that is their perogative because through their hard work, innovation, and reliability, they have succeeded where Franklin, Hirth, VW, HKS, and even the mighty Lycoming have all failed. They are the engine of choice for the majority of the new breed of light aircraft. For an aircraft engine, I say, pay for the peace of mind - stay with the leader. Rotax rules!!!:)

jrthomas
09-04-2009, 04:26 AM
Thanks Skypirate and 76 for responding, I agree 100% that the 912 is a great engine. I have one. But if I were starting over and trying to hold the cost down, I'd be taking a close look at the Franklin. These are not the old Franklins. These are brand new engines. I assume since they are certified that they are well proven. (Check out the price of a certified 912) These are simple engines. Anyone who can work on a Lycoming or a Contintental or a VW should be right at home with a Franklin. I don't plan on pulling my 912 and buying one but it is an interesting looking engine and if someone was considering at an alternitive to a Rotax, I think it looks like a lot better choice than a VW or a Subaru. Also it uses an O200 engine mount so the firewall forward package would be much cheaper. And if Franklin can build a certified 125hp engine and make a profit at $6900 why is an uncertified 912S almost 3 times more expensive? It's just an interesting engine that caught my eye. Thanks, James Thomas

enyaw
09-04-2009, 07:59 AM
So, is anyone flying a Kitfox w/a Franklin in it? Cost is a plus. HP is a plus. What are the negatives?

SkyPirate
09-04-2009, 09:11 AM
I have only looked into the older franklins because I was interested in the cruisair,..,..from what I learned about the older one's most have said they run good ,..when they are running ,..which is a generic answer because that is the way with all engines,..the problems was/is ,..finding an A&P who has a franklin background to work on them,..I'm wondering if they have a new certification (reworked better design )or if they are riding on the old style certification franklin motors,..and I wonder this only because I haven't heard of any new applications using the franklin

Chase

Mnflyer
09-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Hi all, there is a previous discussion about the Franklin engine here in this section, from my researching the engines I found they are a good engine (I have about 1000 hrs flying the older ones), I thinking actually buying one maybe a problem, I not sure that there is a factory up and building them at the present. The Polish company that was building them was sold/bought a few years ago, the web site folks as I understand it have a number of NOS engines.

enyaw
09-04-2009, 08:50 PM
A little research and the Franklin (120HP) weighs 60lbs more thant the Rotax 912ULS (100 HP) full installation and it's not clear if oil cooler exhaust and carbs are included in the Franklin wt/cost. Now how that effects wt & balance and performance I don't know. Other tidbits: Fuel - Minimum Octane - Aviation100/130. Anyone know gal/hr?

airlina
09-07-2009, 05:51 PM
if you guys interested in the franklin do a franklin search on this website you will see it was discussed in Nov '08 and a guy that is flying with one on a Series 5 added some input and may be of help. Bruce N199CL

jrthomas
09-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Hey ya'll, I called Franklin Engines several times but got their voice mail only. I'll call back tomorro and leave a message. I'll find out what I can and report back. Thanks, James Thomas

jrthomas
09-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Hey again, I called Franklin several days ago and left a message that I was needing information on behalf of a group of builders that were interested in their engines and needed some questions answered. I asked several questions about availability, delivery times, service and parts and left my phone number but so far I haven't received any response. It's not looking very good for Franklin so far but if I hear from them I'll let ya'll know. James Thomas

jochums
09-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Hey all,
I have a 0 time 4A-235B in kit form originally purchased in 1973 and was wondering some of the same things posted here. Over the past year, I have e-mailed, faxed and made a trip to Franklin Aircraft in Fort Collins, Co. with no response. ( I live in Loma Co.) My engine is a work of art and am excited getting to build it, but was hoping for some FWF assistance. Franklin in Poland has been trying to tool up for new engines at last I heard, but not yet in production. Looks like we are on our own for now.
? Does anyone have any real world cruise and top speed for a series 7SS running @125 HP? I am trying to determine which aircraft to install this Franklin in. I am new to the game so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks, Lane Jochums