PDA

View Full Version : New Model 7 Speedster

Esser
06-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Anyone have an other info? I was listened to the podcast and all that was really said was that it was bigger, more gross weight, faster but same Vne.

Any insider knowledge?

Danzer1
06-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Josh,

What podcast? Do you have a link, I'd like to hear it!

Greg

bholland
06-07-2017, 09:15 AM
This is where I found it.
http://www.airplanegeeks.com/tag/ge9x/

DesertFox4
06-07-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm sure the larger gross weight reference was with reguard to the original Speedster which was a model 4 at 1200 lbs. gross weight.
Doubting they have done any redesign on the airframe. The "larger" reference was also in comparison to the model 4 Speedster. The 7 is larger than the original.

The podcast is available on Kitfox Aircraft Facebook page.

Esser
06-07-2017, 11:49 AM
I'm sure the larger gross weight reference was with reguard to the original Speedster which was a model 4 at 1200 lbs. gross weight.
Doubting they have done any redesign on the airframe. The "larger" reference was also in comparison to the model 4 Speedster. The 7 is larger than the original.

The podcast is available on Kitfox Aircraft Facebook page.

Ah that makes sense. I did not think kitfox would put out a new airframe so that makes sense.

I think it's really smart with what they are doing, one product with three wing options, and three gear options. Gives a wider mission for people considering it.

DesertFox4
06-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Versatility in engine choice and now wing choice too. Thought the debut was going to be at AirVenture. Airplane geeks got the scoop.;)
Hope Kyle Franklin will fly it at Oshkosh like his father did with the first Speedster.

jdmcbean
07-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Well.. time to let the proverbial cat out of the bag.. :D

We have been planing an introduction of the Series 7 SPEEDSTER for 2 years now and here it is... We considered calling it a Kitfox Koupe but decided to keep the heritage to the Speedster.

Powered with a 912iS, Streamline Aluminum Spring Gear, Laker Leading Edge, Chrome-moly streamline lift struts, jury struts and horizontal tail struts, 28ft wing span, symetrical flaperons, 500-5 wheels with custom wheel pants, 6" Aviation products tailwheel... There are still some other features to come but simply ran out of time to get them done for Oshkosh...

Here is the press release just sent out..

Kitfox Aircraft has decided that it is time to create the future by looking at Past success. The year was 1992, and Kitfox arrived at AirVenture with a new and instantaneously popular design, the Kitfox Speedster. Further excitement was added to the introduction of this remarkable little plane when it was flown almost daily by the late Jimmy Franklin in a low altitude acro routine that could simply not be ignored.

That was a generation ago, what about the new pilots who want something more than a plane that just flies straight and level. Kitfox has given the 21st Century an answer to flying boredom, and sure enough, it bears the name “Speedster.” Working from the very successful and robust Kitfox S7 Super Sport, Kitfox has created a clipped wing, aerodynamically refined and superbly stylized tail dragger that is guaranteed to get the heart rate up to redline. With Rotax fuel injected power, the 2017 Kitfox Speedster is significantly larger and faster than its earlier namesake, with a great useful load and excellent short field performance. With clipped wings and other refinements, the handling can only be described as “acro-like.” Say goodbye to dull. Visitors at this year’s EAA AirVenture 2017 MUST take the time to visit Kitfox at show site 634 & 635 and see this plane’s outrageous color, paint scheme and new logo that can only be described as “21st century classic,”

John McBean, President of Kitfox Aircraft does offer one word of caution, “Be sure to bring some napkins, drooling is to be expected.” And there is a hint that even more surprises may await those who make the AirVenture pilgrimage this year.

DesertFox4
07-16-2017, 02:28 PM
A touch of retro straight out of the future.

The Speedster returns! :)
Paint scheme looks great on her. Logo on the T-Deck nice touch. Looks fast.
Great photos.
Airshow quality smoker onboard.
Nice wheel pants.
Save me a flight John.:)

Av8r3400
07-16-2017, 03:37 PM
Drooling already...

HighWing
07-16-2017, 04:54 PM
John,
Thanks for the report. Now I can tell the whole story. Looked Great in April at a glance, looks better with all the pictures.

offroute
07-16-2017, 06:26 PM
How about an inverted fuel and oil system? Something like this maybe???:

http://ulpower.com/en/engines/ul260/ul260isa

hmmmm...

efwd
07-16-2017, 06:40 PM
This weekend has been just too much. First the Mini Coupe and now this! AAHHH too much!
Beautiful John and Debra. Wish I could make it to Airventure this year.
Eddie

wannafly
07-16-2017, 09:16 PM
Can't wait to see it. I just completed a cross Canada trip in my Kitfox IV Speedster and am now heading west thru the US to get to Oshkosh. That paint job looks awesome. I imagine that one is spoken for already? See you all at Oshkosh:D
My spot if you want to follow along:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0PVXjO1QNIhtvzxKaGWukbgAhyct85n Ej

DesertFox4
07-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Been watching you on Spot. Bucket list reduction flight to Oshkosk by way of East coast. Have fun. Be safe and see you at AirVenture.

colospace
07-17-2017, 08:41 AM
Alright, how about the new Speedster with the Rotec radial?

efwd
07-17-2017, 04:23 PM
Tracking you is pretty cool

av8rps
07-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Hey John, that new Speedster looks awesome! Congrats to you and your team.

Oh, and now that you decided to call it a Speedster, that means maybe you could make a slightly more retro version of the same airframe with the larger bungee gear and a round cowl and/or a Rotec Radial and call that one the Kitfox Coupe (just add on a few options, hint, hint...). Ok, I'm the eternal dreamer, can't shut that off sometimes...

And I certainly don't mean to diminish your efforts here as the new Speedster truly is a cool new Kitfox, and your efforts to remake our beloved Kitfox is truly admirable. Not to mention exciting! I also think it somewhat redefines the Kitfox, putting it into a new category of sorts as a cruiser that can still do STOL. Not many planes like that out there unless they're pushing 250 to 300+ horsepower. I really hope to be able to get up to the field during convention to see it.

Any chance you are handing out napkins with the new Speedster and the new logo on it for those of us that might not be able to contain ourselves? :D

efwd
07-18-2017, 06:03 AM
The Retro version was available years ago. All one has to do is order the ROTEC motor and the Firewall Forward kit, and use the taller gear. Was it 2014 that they had that airframe at Oshkosh? Wonder what the weight would end up with the speedster setup and a ROTEC? I believe that was the reason I didn't go with the ROTEC.

jdmcbean
07-18-2017, 06:49 AM
Hey John, that new Speedster looks awesome! Congrats to you and your team.

Oh, and now that you decided to call it a Speedster, that means maybe you could make a slightly more retro version of the same airframe with the larger bungee gear and a round cowl and/or a Rotec Radial and call that one the Kitfox Coupe (just add on a few options, hint, hint...). Ok, I'm the eternal dreamer, can't shut that off sometimes...

Any chance you are handing out napkins with the new Speedster and the new logo on it for those of us that might not be able to contain ourselves? :D

Thanks everyone.. The Speedster is an absolute joy to fly.. but of course it is.. after all it is a Kitfox:D The Bump cowling is still available.. and the larger bungee style gear we have.. So there you go.... For those that may not have noticed.. the aluminum spring gear is actually streamlined.

Napkins will be available;)

Flybyjim
07-18-2017, 07:13 PM
Hi Folks,

See below Mic's plane and response. I saw his post last evening and checked the spot location, he was just 30 miles from me. I called him and he joined me for our local EAA meeting tonight. Mic is a delight to talk to and his adventure across two countries is very interesting. I hope you get a chance to meet him next week.
His plane is very nice, I need to retire to have the time to travel!!

WWhunter
07-19-2017, 06:22 AM
The Speedster is gorgeous!!! If I make it to Oshkosh...I will be one of the droolers. The best thing about it, it's in my favorite color, GREEN!
Hmmm, wonder how much I money I will need to rob from the bank?

GMKman
07-19-2017, 08:31 PM
That's a beautiful Speedster!
Okay I'll bite. How did you make the landing gear that streamlined?
It's very cool.

WWhunter
07-20-2017, 06:14 AM
That's a beautiful Speedster!
Okay I'll bite. How did you make the landing gear that streamlined?
It's very cool.

Not wanting to sound snippy or anything but the gear looks like typical spring gear. Same type of streamlining as most planes have with that type of gear legs. I know my Murphy Rebel spring gear looks very similar other than it is two piece instead of the one piece.

Slyfox
07-20-2017, 08:06 AM
ya, but there was a strip put on the back side to put it to a point. I have thought over the years of getting some balsa or something and fitting it on the back. to have a plastic one made up to where you just glue it on the back would be very cool. wonder how they did it and if there will be a kit for installing this. want it on my spring gear.

Danzer1
07-20-2017, 08:14 AM
ya, but there was a strip put on the back side to put it to a point. I have thought over the years of getting some balsa or something and fitting it on the back. to have a plastic one made up to where you just glue it on the back would be very cool. wonder how they did it and if there will be a kit for installing this. want it on my spring gear.

I believe that strip is integral to the metal leg (all one piece). If not, constant flexing on landing would cause it to look like dodo in very short order. IMHO

Greg

Slyfox
07-20-2017, 09:32 AM
would like to hear from John how they did this.

GMKman
07-20-2017, 09:35 AM
They look like they have a curved profile as well.
Could be the shiny green paint though.

DesertFox4
07-20-2017, 10:06 AM
Grove Aircraft Landing Gear Systems likely made it to requested specs.
They can do almost anything with aluminum.
I believe they have been making streamlined gear for other makes for some time.
The RV-8 comes to mind.
http://www.groveaircraft.com/rv8.html

Slyfox
07-20-2017, 10:23 AM
I was wondering about that

jdmcbean
07-20-2017, 06:25 PM
The gear was custom made for us by Grove.. it is all aluminum and streamlined.

jdmcbean
07-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Update:
Just days ago, Kitfox Aircraft announced that the 2017 version of the historic Kitfox Speedster is going to be introduced at EAA AirVenture 2017, exactly 25 years from the first appearance of this memorable airplane at AirVenture, 1992.

The 25th anniversary of the Speedster introduction is being joined by the 50th anniversary of Franklin’s Flying Circus and Airshow. It is just been announced that Kyle Franklin, recipient of the 2017 Bill Barber Award for Showmanship, will be flying an aerobatic sequence in the 2017 Kitfox S7 Speedster in the Wednesday airshow honoring his late father’s (Jimmy Franklin) aerobatic introduction of the original Speedster in 1992. History seldom repeats itself with such flare and special memories. Talking with Kyle he said, "I can honestly say that the new Kitfox Speedster has exceeded my expectations by a factor of ten!” What a terrific way to celebrate two anniversaries.

Av8r3400
07-20-2017, 07:15 PM
That's AWESOME!!

Congratulations on the plane and the upcoming show!

Rooster
07-21-2017, 05:23 AM
It is doable during the build process. (The gear streamlining).
Though I cannot take credit.
That goes to Peter Howe who's workmanship is beyond fantastic.

WWhunter
07-21-2017, 06:30 AM
I checked the Kitfox home page and haven't seen anything posted on the new Speedster. Anyone going to Oshkosh? I realized late last night that I am not going to make it again this year and would like to find out the performance specs on the Speedster.:(

cubtractor
07-21-2017, 07:07 AM
Very sneaky. It looks like Kyle was flying it at his home, KEOS, which is about 20 miles from me and nobody said a word. If I had only known.

Slyfox
07-21-2017, 07:20 AM
It is doable during the build process. (The gear streamlining).
Though I cannot take credit.
That goes to Peter Howe who's workmanship is beyond fantastic.

now that looks like a plastic wrap similar to what we put on the struts for the wing. looks good. looks to me like you have all the wheels off and slip it up over the landing gear and into place.

DesertFox4
07-21-2017, 07:35 AM
https://www.facebook.com/KitfoxAircraft/videos/1592109604185921/

Preview of AirVenture 2017.

ken nougaret
07-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Sure wish I could be there. Maybe someone here could video and post it.

Dick B in KY
07-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Wish I could be there to see it in person. Love watching the Jimmy Franklin routine in the old Speedster. All the best to everyone involved.

Dick B

Slyfox
07-21-2017, 11:01 AM
I won't be there until Thursday. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will do a second show. yes, that would be cool. love to watch it in person also.

Slyfox
07-21-2017, 11:07 AM
My plane is basically a speedster. I have the short wings, the horizontal has the ribs inside. One thing that wasn't changed was the fact my wings have dihedral. I also have vgs. I love the way my plane performs, it may not have fuel injection, but the 912uls real hauls butt. I also love the IVO medium inflight adjustable. just an amazing aircraft love this aircraft. OH my plane also has the electric trim in the elevator. I really like that. The other day the left runway was closed and so was delta taxiway on the way in I was told to expect a taxi back, I landed as short as I could and I don't think I went 150feet down the runway and was turning around. I can land short, that was calm winds and on cement runway. love this plane, did I mention that. haha :D one more thing, it will do 120mph all day long. :D

MOFlyer
07-25-2017, 07:32 AM
Very sneaky. It looks like Kyle was flying it at his home, KEOS, which is about 20 miles from me and nobody said a word. If I had only known.

I am pretty disappointed. I am in Neosho!

DesertFox4
08-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Great video shot of the Sunday routine flown by Kyle Franklin in the 2017 Model 7 Speedster by Kitfox Aircraft.

Speedster (https://youtu.be/NJ5f6aYoWww)

Slyfox
08-02-2017, 03:19 PM
that was way cool. thanks for posting steve

efwd
08-02-2017, 08:29 PM
Man, I have been waiting for that. Thanks Steve. Am I imagining it or does that speedster have a slight aft sweep on the wings? The way I see it, I just need some speedster wings and the small tires and I have a speedster. Looks like a blast. Oh yeh, and some aerobatic training needed also.

DesertFox4
08-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Wings look pretty straight Eddie when right next to it.:)

I asked Kyle if he would teach me to do that nice roll on take off. He said it was really easy but somehow his really easy likely would not translate to my really easy. The kid really is a master showman in an aircraft. Takes after his Papa. Fun to hang out with him this last week. He genuinely fell in love with this Kitfox. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him in it again in the future at some show.